National Factbooks Suggestion

• Admin

I'm wondering if it's possible to create a Factbooks forum and then give each actively RPing nation a subforum in it? That way, they can create different threads for various national information, rather than posting it all in one thread. The one thread approach we've done forever is a horrible way to present information - important things get lost, buried, organization is difficult, and tons of scrolling.

• Why stop there? We could do with a similar thing for Government offices, because we all have multiple offices which need to comm

• @Duxburian-Union said:

> I'm wondering if it's possible to create a Factbooks forum and then give each actively RPing nation a subforum in it? That way, they can create different threads for various national information, rather than posting it all in one thread. The one thread approach we've done forever is a horrible way to present information - important things get lost, buried, organization is difficult, and tons of scrolling.

That would create too much Subforums, and if you have to keep on scrolling (see that the link changes when you go to a different post) you can create a link to it individually. Or, you could create your own Forum (Zetaboards, InvisionFree, etc.) and put all your information there.

• I disagree Germany, we would still have to complete the same amount of scrolling as before, only difference is it would only have to deal with a single thread per nation. The DU offers an extremely good idea that can offer more organized topics and ideas. Having it all on the same thread gets a bit annoying. As for your alternate website idea, those of us on the skype chat paid good money for this forum, so I think we would rather stay here and keep the EU all in one place.

Obviously I support this idea, however I feel we can go farther, GDR awhile back made a wiki for the EU. My idea would be to use that instead of our factbooks eventually and integrate the forums with that wiki. I would ask Miraco for specifics on that, ut a chane from the currrent model would be nice.

Also Germany, I encourage you to join our Skype chat 😛

• Admin

I think using NSWiki could be far more fun and searchable.

• Is the NSWiki simply using the NS factbooks? I started using these, but didn't find them particularly useful. Having a Framptonia sub forum on this site would be much better in my view as it would mean I could keep track of your factbooks much more easily whilst managing mine in an easier manner.

• It would also mean probably would add more facts about their nation, which would make it easier for us to know about each other.

• @The-Weiss-Isles said:

> I disagree Germany, we would still have to complete the same amount of scrolling as before, only difference is it would only have to deal with a single thread per nation. The DU offers an extremely good idea that can offer more organized topics and ideas. Having it all on the same thread gets a bit annoying. As for your alternate website idea, those of us on the skype chat paid good money for this forum, so I think we would rather stay here and keep the EU all in one place.
    Obviously I support this idea, however I feel we can go farther, GDR awhile back made a wiki for the EU. My idea would be to use that instead of our factbooks eventually and integrate the forums with that wiki. I would ask Miraco for specifics on that, ut a chane from the currrent model would be nice.
    Also Germany, I encourage you to join our Skype chat 😛

I still don't see a reason why we should need so much subforums. Anyway, NodeBB is free isn't it? I managed to get it installed on Openshift and Koding.io a few times. I'll probably come up on Skype Later on.

• I think that the idea from the DU is the best option. It provides the ability for each nation to have a factbook, on the forum which is easy to access and means everything is in the same place.

• Admin

I'd be opposed to anything that increased our reliance on any other website.

Giving each nation a subforum is an idea I'd heartily endorse, especially given the fact that we still can't seem to find a way to sort threads alphabetically. However, we'd need to sort out what counts as an RPing nation first, and that I expect will come with the econ spreadsheet and suchlike, which I expect will come with the new Commission. So I'd be all for it once that's all in place, which shouldn't be too long now.

• Admin

I've never actually treated NS Wiki entries as regional canon, since they're not on the forum. At one point NS Wiki went offline and was moved or something, and it uses its own styling markup, which is all a pain. I think subforums would lead to increased RP, being better organized and generating more new post updates. Factbooks would actually be readable - say you need to look up a nation's current government officials - where do you look for that? Right now, you have to dig for that info buried in one long thread, if it's there at all. With subforums, each thread has a theme that takes you right to the specific info you want.

• It would actually mean I'd bother writing mine up.

• Why don't we just create Factbooks through NS and then post a link to it in our signature? I don't see why we need such a big fuss about National Information at all.

• But then that is just another link we need to have open. - Which is hard especially when your on a phone

• Yeah, NS factbooks aren't even good let's be honest. And I have all my old stuff on it that I'd like to keep.

• Shall we hold a poll or something?

• Now that we have the new commission, is this going to change or?

• It's more of an OOC discussion, not so much an RP one. But a poll is a good idea 🙂

• Admin

Everything that is not on our forums is not regareed as canon or real within our EU world. This includes NSWiki and other off-site forums/pages. Storing all of our information elsewhere would not only inconvenient, but would also not be canon either.

I think the idea of each nation having its own subforum under National Information section would be amazing. The hard part though is deciding who gets to have their own subforum or who doesn't. I think the best way to determine this is with a time requirement. I.e If a member state has been actively part of the EU for 4 months(?), then they could get their own subsection. If a member state has not reached this requirement, then they just post in the general National Information part.

• Nice, Inquista! I like the idea of having subforums on site. Rather than off-site.