The Government and the Sovereign

• Commission

The Royal Coat of Arms of the United Kingdom of Great Britain

• Commission

Westminster, London

Government Offices, Great George Street

It was a tedious task to get to HM Treasury on any day, but for some reason, the traffic was unbearable getting to Westminster. He would have rather taken the public transport, but as the Chancellor of the Exchequer and designated Prime Minister now that both the PM and First Secretary of State were out of the country. As such, he made sure that the Government was running smooth. 

'Silly me...we could have a nuclear war break out, but the mandarins and bureaucracy of Westminster will continue on forever, safe in its paper trail,' Philip thought as he pulled up, finally. He looked up at the sky. The driver chuckled. They both could see grey skies with very small specks of blue and golden sunshine dotted in between.

"Even in summer, London is full of grey skies," the driver chuckled. Philip carried his red Government box and waved as he rounded the corner, back into the snarled traffic of London.

The Government Offices on Great George Street were massive and encompassed the very heart of the Government: HM Treasury, HM Revenue and Customs, Government Internal Audit Agency, Offices for the Leader of the House of Commons and Senate, Department of Culture and Sport and Cabinet Office portions. In fact, unknowingly, another red-box carrying Government minister ran into Philip, despite the fact he had stopped moving. 

"Oh, I'm sorry..." said the female Government minister. She had short, brown hair and glasses and was smartly dressed. "Oh, Philip!" She was embarrassed that she ran into the Chancellor.

"Chloe, good morning!" Philip responded. "How's the coordination going?"

"Well, we've got your fiscal and monetary policy notes on continuing certain aspects of the Britcome scheme. Umm, I also got your notes on how Business and Trade need to act together in informing HMRC about what business is going to do with tariffs in response to NESTO," Chloe began. Suddenly, as if trying to lay on thick the impression of British weather, the skies opened up a bit and a light drizzle "Oh dear..."

"Come on inside," Philip responded. The two walked in, greeted by the security.

"Chancellor, Cabinet!" the guard responded as the two put their Government boxes through security as well as Chloe's purse.The two stood for a while before parting.

"We've got a meeting to discuss the implementation of the energy policy and what we're naming it. Number 10 thought it would be better to spend our time on that in the Cabinet while she's away with a few other ministers," Chloe said, calling after Philip. Philip rolled his eyes.

"Great," scowled Philip. "I'll see you later."

Chloe walked away with Philip heading off to the Treasury. 

• Commission

6 October 2017

Audience Room, Buckingham Palace, London

His Majesty stood, comfortably in a sport jacket, top button undone on his collared shirt underneath, and immaculately shined shoes. The job of Sovereign of the United Kingdom of Great Britain came with the fortunate (or on some occasions unfortunate) weekly audiences with the Prime Minister. 

'This is my third Prime Minister,' thought King William. 'You'd think I would be a little less eager by now to have the meeting...' 

He looked towards the window and glided towards it. His Majesty would have rather had the audience in the private gardens of Buckingham, but between the unseasonable chill (it only crept up to about 13C that day) and the steady precipitation falling in a rhythmic ballet on the window pane prevented it.

It almost didn't occur to him that the door was opened and the Private Secretary, Sir Christopher Geidt, walked in.

"The Prime Minister, sir," the Private Secretary announced. Theresa curtseyed, completing the greeting between the Head of State and the Head of Government.

"It certainly has been an eventful few weeks, Prime Minister," His Majesty said, giving a polite grin to the Prime Minister.

"Yes, it has been," Theresa answered. "Your Majesty, if I may begin with just some developments on the attackers. The Government, when Parliament is back in session, will be putting forward further vetting and stricter guidelines on taking refugees from Dromund Kaas. As of right now, we are not taking anyone with any religion that is stated as Sith or variants of it. As for the Dark State of the Sith, we are working on whereabouts and the reach that the organisation has. Derectan intelligence has busted some of their own as well..."

"Prime Minister....Theresa....I worry about this development. We've had terrorism in this country, particularly in London. It's not been something that we could ignore at the time in 2011, and it's something we can't ignore now in 2017. I've had three Prime Ministers tell me they are taking precautions...but I want you to be the first to actually deliver on the promise that you will, as head of government, keep the people safe. And it's not just your reputation at stake as well...you are acting in my name, as His Majesty's Government. I want safety to be the top priority of any government that acts in my name," His Majesty responded. 

The Prime Minister said nothing for a while. 

"I can assure you, Your Majesty, that I have lost countless hours of sleep in the last month trying to deal with the unfolding crisis and the aftermath. It is absolutely my will that we carry on being the free and open society that we are, but with adequate protections to keep the citizens, tourists, and all who set foot in this United Kingdom safe. You have my word," Theresa responded. 

"Great," the Sovereign replied with a somewhat cheeky grin flashing across his face. "Shall I send in for a bit of tea, or would you like something stronger?" He sat down in one of the Audience Room's upholstered chairs...kept up by his grandmother while she was alive. 

"Oh goodness me!" Theresa exclaimed. "Well, I'm not doing the driving, and you're offering. Perhaps a stiffner could do us some good as we get into the economic policy we will be introducing soon."

"Theresa, I've got Sajid coming up here in the next month; could we not talk about that over a brandy?" the Sovereign groaned. Economic policy and news was so dry to him. 

"Thank God. I didn't really want to talk about it either. Philip had the most remarkable trip to the Duxburian Union with his company the other day," sidled Theresa. She didn't much care for economic policy either.

"I've only been there once, and I found it extraordinary," the Sovereign interjected before ringing the bell. The Private Secretary entered the room. "Chris, if you could ask the staff to send up a bottle of brandy and two glasses." 

From there, the meeting carried on.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.