The European Order of Merit Act, 2017

I proposed the following act. 

The European Order of Merit (2017)

Authored by Edward Firoux, Councillor of Inquista

Section I - The European Order of Merit

I. The European Order of Merit is an order of merit recognising illustrious and distinguished service to and within the European Union.

II. Recipients of the order will be inducted into the European Order of Merit, and will additionally receive an honorary medallion and the ability to use the post-nominal letters EOM. 

Section II - Grounds for Awarding the Order

I. The European Order of Merit may be presented to those who have proven to be outstanding in the promotion of peace and human rights throughout the European Union.

II. The European Order of Merit may be presented to those who have proven to be outstanding in the promotion of European arts and culture. 

III. The European Order of Merit may be presented to those who have proven to be outstanding in their service to the European Council, European Commission and/or the European Court of Justice.

IV. The European Order of Merit may be presented to those who have proven to be outstanding in their defense of the the European Union from external invasion.

Section III - Procedures and Oversight

I. Only European Councillors and Commissioners many nominate recipients for the European Order of Merit. 

II. When nominating a recipient for the order, a thorough explanation must given by the nominator to the European Council, whereby the nominee must meet the criteria of one or more grounds outlined in Section II of this Act. The explanation will be followed by a 48 hour period of debate, then a 72 hour period of voting, where the European Council will either approve or reject the nomination. A simple majority is required for approving the order nomination. 

III. Recipients of the European Order of Merit will be invited to the European Council to receive their medallion. The person who nominated the recipient will grant them the medallion in an official ceremony.

IV. A recipient of the European Order of Merit may have their induction and honorariums revoked by a motion in the European Council. The revocation process shall the follow standard Council motion procedure. 

Debate starts NOW and shall last until 19:00 GMT, July 5.

Voting on amendments will then begin and last until 19:00 GMT, July 7.

Final voting will then begin and last until 19:00 GMT, July 10.

• I think this is truly excellent, and  I commend this entirely. I can't wait to see who gets these awards. Inquista has shown itself as very worthy in ranking celebrities in the EU, I'm sure it'll do just as good in this field. 

• Dear collegue Firoux,

I thank you for this beautifull initiative. People who truly pursue peace, development of human rights, arts and culture are people who are admirable. Recognition is the correct answer on their, most of the time, voluntary ordinance.

And for me that's the point of awarding this order. Voluntary ordinance. It would be wrong to receive as politician such an award as politicians are the only ones who can regulate themselves. That is why I propose to suspend  section II, article III. The European Order of Merit may be presented to those who have proven to be outstanding in their service to the European Council, European Commission and/or the European Court of Justice.

All elected people in the European Council, European Commission and/or the European Court of Justice are admirable as they are all seeking for peace between the member-states, cultural development and the preservation of human rights.

Make this award special and not just not another merit for politicians. Make this award special and give it to those who are working and striving for peace, development etcetera outside this parliament.

I hope my point is clear for you.
    Thank you very much.

Mrs. Esnith Annayewa,
    Councillor of Turkmenbaijan 

• I find myself agreeing with my Turkmenbaycani colleague. I do believe that people who promote peace away from the halls of Europolis and prove themselves of merit not just in their country of origin but across Europe should be given the award. Politicians have enough acclaim as it is. I hope that we could give ordinary people who do extraordinary things the recognition they deserve.

David Leyonhjelm

Councillor for the Federal Republic of Australia

Recipients of the order do not need to be politicians. I agree wholeheartedly with my colleague, Councillor Leyonhjelm, that people who promote peace away from the halls of Europolis should be recognized, hence why Section II, Clause I of this act. It states, "The European Order of Merit may be presented to those who have proven to be outstanding in the promotion of peace and human rights throughout the European Union."

This can be presented to anyone, not just politicians. The same goes for those who promote arts and culture, and those who protect us from invasion. 

However, I included Section II, Clause III specifically for recognition of those who have been superb in running and bettering our institutions. It is because of these hardworking servants that we are able to have the Union we have. That's why I find myself in disagreement with Councillor Annayewa.

Firstly, even as perhaps the most pro-European politician in this chamber, I would be lying if I were to agree with that all  people in the European Council, European Commission and the European Court of Justice are admirable because they seek for peace between the member states, cultural development and the preservation of human rights. There is more than enough evidence to prove that many members of our institutions do not strive for these goals, unfortunately; hence why we need to recognize those who do actually work towards these goals. Secondly, I might also remind you that this is an order of merit. It recognizes not only those who works towards these goals, but those who have been outstanding in their commitment. These are people that go above and beyond. This isn't just for mere politicians, as you frame it. It's for those who, while are politicians, are giants in championing our institutions. It would be a true disservice to not recognize these people as well. 

Edward Firoux,

Councillor of Inquista

• That is my point mister Firoux, that this can be presented to anyone, not just politicians. This has not to be given to politicians.
    You cannot intstitutionalize an Order of Merit of your own institute and give it to yourself and that brings me to my second question for you: If you propose that every councillor or commissionor may nominate recipients for the European Order of Merit and whereby the nominee must meet the criteria of one or more grounds outlined in Section II of this Act; and a voting where the European Council will either approve or reject the nomination where a simple majority is required for approving the order nomination; who will oversee the objectivity and even more what will happen if a member state heavily opposes to the nomination?

I repeat myself and I say again that an European Order of Merit is a beautiful initiative. What I propose is that not the European Council but a separated group made up of key people of the different branches as art, politics, human rights,... People whom are on the field consider, treat and approves the order nomination to avoid a possible political color on the nomination and that this can happen with a maximum amount of neutrality.

I hope my colleagues can find themselves in my proposal. 

• group:cid:2:privileges:mods:members

Dr Jens Nørreport stood to address the chamber:

'By marking awards we supporting ideological imbuement of a certain political value set and in extension create a notion of European citizenship, is this what we need right now? How will these awards be financed? I feel like I need to see a review document before we can commit expenditure and values to such a cause. In Os Corelia we have our own honours system and we'd like to know how it might superceed it. I urge the councillor to make a detailed review and include thoughts about the structures of awarding os it does not fall to friends of the commissioners or the speaker'

Councillor Annayewa, this is an order of merit. Any person can have merit, including politicians. Should politicians be excluded, then the likes of Julia Glorious would be ignored, for instance. Ignoring such blatantly and significant contributions to peace and human rights is simply a farce of ignoring true merit. There's neither equity or equality in what you're suggesting. Anyone can have merit, regardless of who you are. 

As for the organization you outlined, while I like the idea of political neutrality, I have no idea how to even begin putting such a bureaucratic mess together. I would also point to any of the EU's institutions out of the Council, Commission and Court, and point to how totally, fantastically active they are. I can already see such an organizations never being active, ever, and it completely dying out in 6 months. It sounds far better on paper than it ever will be acted out in reality.

As for Councillor Nørreport, I disagree that this order implies the notion of European citizenship. The 'certain political value set' stated in this act only includes "promotion of peace and human rights." Not only are these values already guaranteed in our Constitution, but they are entrenched in our Universal Declaration of Human Rights. This is not implying anything new. If you find that this is one step closer to European citizenship, I suggest you begin by repealing our declaration of human rights. 

You do bring a good point on the status of the merit. It shouldn't supersede anything, as it is just an additional order of merit. It's not a titular honor. Sure, it will put extra letters behind a name, but it is not a titular honor in of itself. It's not like knighthood or anything. I also agree that there should be thorough review before giving out the order, hence why I included Section III, Clause II of this act. Would you be more comfortable if we amended that clause to change the simple majority to a super majority? I can't imagine the Council would seriously hand out orders of merit to political friends even with a simple majority, never mind a super majority of the Council. If you find a super majority would be better, I can propose such an amendment. 

As for money, this will be expensed like all things that the EU expenses. Naturally, it will come from the budget. This proposal, as it stands, isn't going to expensive, and I don't see it somehow plummeting our never-ending EU surplus budget into a deficit. If that was the case, I obviously wouldn't be proposing it. I'm Inquistan, after all.

Edward Firoux,

Councillor of Inquista 

Thanks Cllr Firoux to responding to my concerns and by most part I feel addressed. I think my remaining concerns lie particularly within the selection process of the awards and a super majority process could initiate that. Coudl I ask for a prospective costing and as to what the actual award will constitute. 

• Dear colleague, please. People with knowledge and who are working in this domains are the most able persons to assign an award like this. I don't say people have to gather in a commission or organisation as we have different ones in the Council but from the moment a nomination is demanded those people can discuss this following their own domain. That is not a bureaucratic mess mister Firoux. Nominate and assign awards by councillors with a simple majority without consultation of different people active in those domains in different member states... That is a bureaucratic mess mister Firoux.

I hold on my point of view. I do think awarding the Order of merit to a politician assigned by politicians is just a wrong sign and I will not support this.

As there is no Speaker present, and as the author of this bill, I believe I hold the right to extend the period of debate. The debate period will be extended 24 hours from NOW, meaning that debate will last until 01:00 GMT on July 7th.

I also propose the following amendment:

Amendment I
    Section III, Clause II
    When nominating a recipient for the order, a thorough explanation must given by the nominator to the European Council, whereby the nominee must meet the criteria of one or more grounds outlined in Section II of this Act. The explanation will be followed by a 48 hour period of debate, then a 72 hour period of voting, where the European Council will either approve or reject the nomination. A super-majority is required for approving the order nomination. 

Councillor Nørreport, I can't give you the figure in euros, but I can't imagine minting the medallions will cost anything more than 100 inquistos each, and I believe the most expensive thing of the whole affair would be the cost of flying the recipients to come to Europolis to pick up their order. For the most part, the cost of this order would depend on the amount of recipients we have. As this is an order that is designed to recognize outstanding merit throughout the European Union, I don't foresee us having more than one or two recipients a year. 

Edward Firoux,

Councillor of Inquista

Thank you for the further answer and with this amendment I conclude that I will be supporting the progression of this Act.

Voting on AMENDMENTS begins now and lasts until 19:00 GMT, July 10. Final voting will begin thereafter.

There is only one amendment.

On behalf of the Microstate of Inquista, vote FOR for all amendments.

Edward Firoux,

Councillor of Inquista

• On behalf of the State Turkmenbaijan, I vote AGAINST this amendments.

Mrs. Esnith Annayewa
    Councillor of the State Turkmenbaijan

• The Federal Republic of Derecta commends this magnificent proposal and votes FOR all amendments.

HE Cllr. Julian Maverick,

F. R. of Derecta 

• Commission

I found the explanation by Councillor Firoux to answer any concerns I would have had on the legislation, and the amendments do address other specific concerns as well. 

On the behalf of the United Kingdom of Great Britain, I vote FOR the amendment.

Sir Edward Mountain, 4th Baronet of Oare Manor and Brendon

Councillor for the United Kingdom of Great Britain

On behalf of the New Parliamentary Republic of Os Corelia I cast a vote FOR all amendments  

With 4 votes for and 1 against, all amendments have passed. Final voting on the legislation has begun.

On behalf of the Microstate of Inquista, I vote FOR this act.

Edward Firoux,

Councillor of Inquista

• The Federal Republic of Derecta votes FOR this act.

HE Cllr. Julian Maverick,

F. R. of Derecta 

• The State Turkmenbaijan votes AGAINST this act.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.