Refugee Protection Act

• Admin

I would like to move for an extension of debate.

Judith Gibbon

• Admin

The motion has been granted. The debate period has been extended to 13 March at 19:15 GMT.

Sir Edward Mountain, 4th Baronet of Oare Manor and Brendon

Councillor for the United Kingdom of Great Britain

Speaker of the European Council

• Emma takes the microphone

I wish the Speaker of the Council to clarify the situation of this bill.  

Lady Emma Granger, 2th Baroness of Montague

His Majesty Councillor for the Kingdom of Montenbourg 

• Admin

We must start the voting process, and I apologise for the delay. 

Voting begins NOW and will end on Wednesday, 28 March at 15:20 GMT

• Emma stands in front of the podium

Thank You Mr. Speaker. 

I, Lady Emma Granger, 2th Baroness of Montague on behalf of the Kingdom of Montenbourg, vote in FAVOR the proposed legislation.

We call other nations to follow our lead and make our immigrants and refugees a top priority!

His Majesty Councillor for the Kingdom of Montenbourg 

• I, Ms Selena Uwaduar, agrees with Lady Emma Granger. Therefore, on behalf of The Democratic Republic of Luz de Libertados and St. Esther, I vote in FAVOUR of the proposed legislation.

• Admin

I apologise for not commenting during the debate period, but I will note that I won't be the first Councillor to precede their vote with a short spiel, which given the circumstances I don't think is unreasonable. 

The provision in Section 1 effectively bans deportation to any country in the region, on the grounds that the deportee 'may be put at risk' of 'unjustifiably discriminatory treatment' by 'non-state entities'. If you can show me a country where that's not a valid concern, then I've got an elite cycling tour to sell you. The provision in Section 2 puts absolutely no limit on the migrant's right to claim asylum elsewhere if refused in their current host country, which would essentially allow them to, if they are so inclined, use their host as a 'staging ground' where they could 'shop around' for a nation that will accept them on the best possible terms, dragging the process out for as long as possible. Section 3 essentially bans any distinction between refugees - who haven't left their home country entirely voluntarily, and whom we should hope are temporary residents who will be able to return home in the near future - and non-citizen permanent residents, which Angleter would not accept. Section 4 goes even further than that and tells us to create a path to citizenship not on the same basis as permanent residents, but as far as possible and so long as the refugee wishes to obtain citizenship.

For those reasons, I, Judith Gibbon, on behalf of the Apostolic Kingdom of Angleter, vote AGAINST this Bill.

• Based on advice given to me by my government, I, Klemen Horvat, do vote AGAINST this legislation on behalf of the Federal Republic of Austrur.

• On behalf of the State Turkmenbaijan I vote in FAVOUR of the Refugee Protection Act.

• Admin

With 3 votes in favour and 2 votes against, the Refugee Protection Act has passed. 

Sir Edward Mountain, 4th Baronet of Oare Manor and Brendon

Speaker of the European Council

Councillor for the United Kingdom of Great Britain

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.