Council Of State Official Hansard

• Mr SPEAKER: Its said, having received letters from the Rt. Hon. Claire Underwood, and Justin Trudeau seeking to debate. I close the debate and upheld the motion of resignation to Prime Minister William Anderson. The Council will not recommend new elections, instead we call the Classical Monarchist Party to put the candidate to be the next Prime Minister of Montenbourg. This has to be done before April 1st. 

The debate having concluded, the motion is passed. The CMP needs to form government.

• Hansard Excerpt

6 April 2017

The Department of Defense has put its case for a substantial increase in funding for the coming financial year.

ADOLF HUTTLER. MP(Nationalitz Party): These are turbulent times we live in, Turbulent and dangerous. And the only sensible response to that, of course, is to build a lot more weapons. Unless we get the funding we need, I can’t promise that we’ll be able to defend Montenbourg’s sovereign borders from rogue nations and foreign powers. Or those leaky boatloads of refugees, for that matter.

MALALA USAFAI. MP(Liberal Party): What! NO! Montenbourg needs fewer weapons, not more! Make the world a safer place! Disarm now!.

Decision: Montenbourg Military funding has been stripped back recieving a 2.8% from the budget.

• Hansard Excerpt

7 April 2018

A religious group and talk show host raised a furor with his call to ban contraception. Women’s rights groups have come to parliment demanding a response. This started a heated debate on the Council of State over the issue.

KATE O'MARA. MP(Liberal Party): I’m appalled these religious wackos have the gall to even think about banning birth control. These men are trying to control our bodies. They treat us like we’re their own personal baby dispensers — not living, thinking humans. It’s demeaning! My body, my choice! We will not ban contraception.

ENRICH KIMLLER MP. (Nationalitz): You aren’t going to listen to these pagans. Conceiving a child is one of the most enjoyable moments one may ever have in their lives. To deprive yourself of this blessing of God is an abomination! Contraception must be outlawed! It encourages casual sex, and destroys the true meaning of the act. If people are not willing to bear the consequences of their actions, then they should not act at all.

OTTO BALCANE. MP (Classical Monarchist Party): Before abortion was legalized women would frequently try to induce abortions by using coat hangers, knitting needles, or radiator flush, or by going to unsafe "back-alley" abortionists. By 1996, after Eoer v. Edaw had legalized abortion nationwide, this number dropped to two. This a very personal decision although our government must provide care for women during and after pregnacy.

FRANKIE BERGNSTEIN. MP (Green Party): To all the Alpha-Males, know this....The right to abortion is vital for individual women to achieve their full potential. So yes contraception is good! Although both sides have rocks in their brains. Why don’t we just ban sex altogether, and force people to use artificial insemination? That way, we can preview everyone who signs up to have kids, and if we don’t like it, tough beans for them. The police may have to work harder to catch those who ‘overlook’ this measure, but if that’s the price we have to pay for ending this inane argument once and for all, it’ll be well worth it.

Decision: Montenbourg will keep its abortion programs with state-funding it would be overlook by Planned Parenthood. Birth rates have hit an all-time low.

• Hansard Excerpt

7 April 2018

It was recently discovered that the Secretary of the Chancellor of Exchequer owns several properties in Austrur and the intern of the Defense Secretary has stocks in a Dromund Kass arms manufacturing company. Concern has been raised that this information was not disclosed before the previous election, and now represents a conflict of interest for both ministers.

AUST NIKLER MP. (Nationalitz): This looks incredibly corrupt. How do we know that they’re not creating policies, particularly in the area of foreign affairs, to line the pockets of their cronies? The Kassian government is notoriously corrupt, and everyone knows that Austrur is riddled with spies. If we want to maintain public trust, we’re going to have to come down hard on these two. For the sake of our government’s reputation, the Ministers must resign!

JENNY FARULS. MP (Liberal Party): That simply doesn’t go far enough! Anyone running for any political office must disclose all of their financial assets to the authorities for rigorous investigation prior to their nomination. That way, potential conflicts of interest can be avoided before a scandal happens. If they have any assets overseas, they must sell them off before accepting the nomination. It’s the best way to keep our government safe and free of corruption.

CLAIRE UNDERWOOD (Chancellor of Exchequer-. Classical Monarchist Party): Aren’t you jumping the gun a little there? Just because my secretary own lots of property overseas doesn’t mean she is susceptible to blackmail or leaving confidential documents unprotected. This feels more like a punishment for being wealthy, brought on by the jealous critics who wish they were as successful as her. Why should that prevent her from running? Don’t you want the best people for the job?

Decision: Montenbourg leading aids are known for corporate hedge funds. It's rumored that some spies knows what the nation's monarch eat for breakfast. The state will not considered this decision by the top aids as illegal.

• Hansard Excerpt

7 April 2018

It’s the anniversary of the Montenbourg Civil War, and competing plans to commemorate the historic moment are being considered for approval.

CLARK HARRIDSON. MP (Classical Monarchist Party): No expense must be spared! This historic event must be celebrated through every town square in the country. Parades, street parties, reenactments! I’m sure all our citizens will contribute handsomely to making this celebration truly memorable.

REIN HEMSTER. MP (Nationalitz): Excellent! And let’s not stop with the past. We can use this burst of patriotic fervor to give a strong message of support to today’s armed forces, going forward. We should have a big parade of our men and women in uniform in Montague with a fly-by from the Air Force. We can never have too many recruits, after all.

ARGO UDJER. MP (Green Party):  Do you have any idea how much all of that would cost? We shouldn’t spend money on something that happened years ago, and the savings from all that pomp and circumstance can be returned to the taxpayers. 

DOM YHONSON. MP (Liberal Party): I don’t mind having a commemoration, but we need to remember that most of the people who died in the War were common workers like my parents. I think it’s only fair that we give everyone a national holiday, so we can all reflect upon our history of class oppression. Otherwise celebrations like this end up just being for you toffs.

ARNARD ANDELS. MP (Independent): Of course we should remember the War - but there was nothing ‘Great’ about it! It was a shameful bloodbath caused by greedy capitalist arms manufacturers, and it could have been avoided. We should be remembering the incalculable tragedy of it all and making sure it never happens again!

Decision: Montenbourg will enact a big Civil War commemoration. 

• Hansard Excerpt

7 April 2018

The Green party propose that every adult receive an annual, basic income of $10,000. This income would be unconditional, earned whether one is employed or not. Social Security and Healthcare would be exempt as they aren't really considered welfare.

FRANKIE BERGNSTEIN. MP (Green Party):  An unconditional, individual, and universal basic income would indisputably boost the economy and allow many low-income Montenbourgians to climb the ladder of social mobility. It would not only lift people above the poverty line and reduce income inequality, but create jobs, lower school dropout rates, improve health, and raise overall economic output. A UBI would enable, rather than trap, those with unfortunate financial situations as it would provide *everyone* money to work with; all would have the fiscal leverage to progress forward when they otherwise wouldn’t.

Our current welfare programs, in contrast, do the opposite of what they’re intended for. They encourage passive behavior and inhibit productivity. The means-tested programs withdraw benefits as soon as a certain income is reached, and are burdened with high marginal tax rates so long as their income is below a certain level. Others require people to exhaust nearly all their assets until they become eligible for aid. With so many strings attached, and the overall counter-productive nature, welfare programs simply are inferior to a UBI, and have too many downfalls. The current welfare programs do *not* provide overall work incentives. Most are means-tested, meaning that if you demonstrate that your income and capital are below specified limits, you’re eligible. This can lead to what some call the “cliff effect”: once someone passes an income threshold, that aid is withdrawn, and climbing further up the income ladder becomes more difficult. 

This issue is maximized when we understand how disadvantaged the poor are tax-wise under welfare. In fact, the Council of States Budget Office, “[found] that the marginal tax rate climbs to 40 percent when a worker earns slightly more than about $12,000, and then to nearly 50 percent in the mid-$20,000 range.” These programs impose high marginal tax rates, essentially trapping these recipients into a large income hole that they can’t climb out of. To put this into better perspective, here’s a graph that shows tax-less income in respect to income earned.

These welfare programs are creating a clear poverty trap. Under a universal basic income, this wouldn’t happen. A UBI would extend to *every* person, regardless of what their incomes are, enabling them to have more social mobility than they would under the incredibly flawed welfare programs that are burdening so many lower-income people.

But that’s not all. Many welfare programs also have asset limits, meaning that one must have almost no assets to be eligible for benefits. Programs like Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) have asset limit ranges from $1,000 in provinces like Bordeaux and Trebursye to $10,000 in Newcastel. This is problematic because it discourages the importance of saving and self-reliance; only those who exhaust just about all of their assets become eligible for aid. Savings are very important because they provide cushion against anything that goes wrong. Just having under $2,000, for instance, is enough to protect against eviction, missed meals, or the loss of utilities during a financial setback. To force such recipients to go to the point of being broke to receive benefits in no way incentivizes them to increase their income.

To sum, a UBI would (1) significantly reduce poverty and boost economic output, and (2) incentivize people to work in ways our current welfare programs cannot. Thus, I affirm.

OTTO BALCANE. MP (Classical Monarchist Party):  Our current system works. Critics use inaccurate statistics to discredit a system that is doing wonders. In contrast, the idea of UBI has never been tried in a developed country with a largely market economy, and without first dismantling capitalism, UBI would serve only to subsidize corporations to lower wages. The Green Party must prove that 1. UBI is worth the massive increase in welfare costs 2. UBI could be implemented successfully within a capitalist economy and 3. That the limited testing in developing nations would be able to translate into the developed world.

Decision: Montenbourg will still debating this issue. Doors closed.

• Hansard Excerpt

7 April 2018

The Green party propose that medical marijuanas be allowed in schools.

ARGO UDJER. MP (Green Party):  Weed doesn't hurt! Weed has been is legal nationwide and should not be banned from schools as it poses no health risks and is more healthy alternative to other drugs such as cocaine and heroin. But some may argue that the brain does not fully develop but there are no studies that state that weed hurts a developing brain. 

CLARK HARRIDSON. MP (Classical Monarchist Party): I'm pro weed, but no, just no. Weed can have the affect of making you paranoid, and forgetting what your doing, both of these possible effects, that are case by case for each person, would have a negative impact on students, and would be unwise to introduce to the classroom setting.

ANITA COSTALA MP. (Liberal Party): Excuse me, kids need medicine to stay alive and you wanna take that away just because some kids wanna get high on a harmless drug while teen tabacco use is sky rocketing with the introduction of e-cigs yet no one talks about that just that kids are ruining there lifes with weed. We are for this.

REIN HEMSTER. MP (Nationalitz): Ha...We can't really call marijuana medicine. It's not a legitimate medicine. The brain is not fully developed until we're about 25. That's just the way it is, and using any kind of mind-altering substance impacts that development. It needs to go through the FDA process. There is no drug that can or should be smoked, but when we get to potential components of marijuana that might have medicinal benefits, then let's find out what that is. Most of our medicines have come from plants. They're plant-based, but they've gone through that rigorous process. Because, let's face it, any medicine is a toxin. I don't care if it's penicillin or aspirin or a narcotic. Any of those are toxins to our bodies. And that's why we have the FDA process.

Decision: Montenbourg will permit only medical marihuana in schools. 

• Hansard Excerpt

8 April 2018

Whenever disaster strikes Montenbourg, politicians have a habit of sending their “thoughts and prayers” to the victims. Although the gesture is appreciated by some, there are many who feel that the phrase is simply an excuse for politicians to do nothing. This was an excerpt of the debate in the Council of States.

MAMIKO JENSSEN. MP (Liberal Party): Every time I hear a politician, one of us, send their ‘thoughts and prayers’ I feel like vomiting in my mouth.If you ask me, that’s their way of getting out of actually doing anything meaningful to help the victims. How about sending some much-needed aid when there’s a disaster? Or perhaps investing in some infrastructure? The people want government action, not empty platitudes.

SHELDON CHENKOSKI. MP (Nationalitz): On the contrary, many people have told me that they have found comfort in my words when they needed it most. There’s nothing odious or lazy with sending out thoughts and prayers. Some people find it helpful to be reminded that their government cares. What’s wrong with that?

JOHANNES WISEAU. MP (Classical Monarchist Party): I agree, but we should go even further. We should have a national day of prayer and mourning whenever disaster strikes Montenbourg. The government and our Catholic Church, standing hand in hand, can help lead Montenbourg into a new era of unity and healing. What’s that? There’s people who don’t practice Catholicism? A pox on their houses!

EMILY DERGSTON. MP (Green Party): Since when should the government be in the business of spreading this religious indoctrination? Thoughts and prayers? Oh, please! This is nothing more than the government imposing its religious beliefs on everyone else. How about the government back off with this propaganda and let people mourn in their own private way?

Decision: Montenbourg government will invest more in infrastructure after a natural disaster.

• Hansard Excerpt

8 April 2018

After a highly publicized arrest, in which one of the nation’s wealthiest celebrities, Seline Dijon, was detained for assaulting two of her servants with a priceless Fabergé egg, some of Montenbourg’s rich have begun demanding the right to avoid prison terms by paying off their victims. This was an excerpt of the debate in the Council of States.

CLARISSE HILLTON. MP (Classical Monarchist Party): It makes, like, no sense for someone like Seline Dijon to be stuck there for three WHOLE DAYS. And the trial hasn’t even STARTED. Her dad has PLENTY of money and, like, nothing better to spend it on. He could just give a few million Monten Pounds to the victims’ families and, um... like, the government. That’s fair, right?

FRANKIE BERGNSTEIN. MP (Green Party): Ha. Ha. WHAT!? You’ve got to be kidding me! its clear that misses Hillton comes from this part of the socialite-life. No one should be above the law, no matter how much money they have! It’s bad enough that they can hire some shyster lawyer to get them off on a technicality most of the time. As a matter of fact, we should make the rich use public defenders. It’s only fair considering everyone else is stuck with them. You know what, let's just expand the entire public defenders’ office while we are debating this.

FREDERICK SCHMIDFT. MP (Nationalitz): Instead of wasting money on prisons for violent criminals, our local communities could take care of our problem. Unrivaled hunters, but with animals there’s no challenge for an expert such as they. If you sent prey to their communities, They’d be willing to throw a few Monten Pounds the government’s way. You save money; They take care of the scum in our penal system. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Decision: Montenbourg will prohibit Private law which are unheard of.

• Hansard Excerpt

8 April 2018

The Council of States Clerk Office did a survey citing a tremendous increase in unsolicited emails has added fire to the subject of what many view as a scourge of the Internet.

DAVID CLERKS. MP (Clerk of the House): The spam problem is out of control. I get at least fifty spam e-mails a day. That isn’t even counting the spam people are posting to my newsgroup and to my messageboard. This junk is a waste of time in that I have to delete it and a waste of my money in that I have to buy anti-spam programs-which hardly work anyway. People get swindled by this stuff - I suggest to the Council that this should be a crime, just like regular fraud.

ANNE-MARIE McCALPIN. MP (Liberal Party): A ban on all spam is a restriction on our freedom of speech and on the freedom of the press! What is the government to say what is and isn’t commercial spam? Could they haul charity representatives off to jail for seeking donations? Could they jail politicians for using e-mail to try and gain votes? Could they arrest me if I accidentally send my erotic novel-in-progress to the wrong address? Seriously, spamming is a subjective offense and as such should not be considered a crime.

EBENEZER SNYDER. MP (Classical Monarchist Party): Both sides are wrong. Spam is definitely a problem, yet so is the restriction on freedoms which some draconian anti-spam codes would impose. I propose a ban on overtly fraudulent spam, and a tax on more legitimate businesses that rely on spam as an advertising method, and a strict legal definition of spam that would ensure no innocent person was prosecuted or taxed.

Decision: HM government is making attempts at curtailing the flood of spam emails with little progress.

• Riksdag Excerpt

10 April 2018

An increasing number of land owners have been fencing off footpaths which run through or near their property and as a result members of the Riksdag have been petitioned by The Ramblers’ and Hikers’ Association to allow the ‘right to roam’.

Kayla Calder, a famous hiker of Montenbourg’s countryside, (Invited): These pompous land owners are fencing off hundreds of years of tradition! The public should have right of way by law! It is every man’s right to be able to enjoy the scenic beauty of our native lands and I don’t see why some toffee-nosed prat should be the only person allowed to walk around his hundreds of acres of land when most of us don’t even have one! It’s simply unforgivable! Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going for a walk! Wherever I ruddy well like!

PABLO HILL (Classical Monarchist Party): It’s trespass, plain and simple. My home is my castle! If these smelly ramblers think they can abuse and defile my land, they should start thinking again! You’ve got to look at this reasonably: where people go, pollution follows. Before I know it I’m going to have litter in my fields, drunken parties in my woods, and more eroded footpaths than I can count! Will they be the ones paying to have it all maintained? Not likely! I say no to this ‘right to roam’ rubbish! This land is mine, and I intend to keep it that way.

SVEN-ERIK BUCHT(Liberal Party): There’s an opportunity in every problem. And there’s always some sort of compromise. We could simply allocate some government funding to teams of environmental workers to maintain and promote our network of footpaths that anyone may use... for a price. Think of the money we could get from all those hikers and ramblers! Not to mention the tourists, birdwatchers, and hippies! Everybody wins! Except for those who can’t afford the fees, I guess, but you can’t please everyone.

DecisionPublic footpaths are being slowly eroded by the burgeoning number of ramblers.

• Riksdag Excerpt

10 April 2018

After tabloid magazine “The Bun” outed supermodel Sofia Öliver as having been born male, the fashion world has gone into a frenzy, with the organisers of Montague Fashion Week barring the model from the runway. Social media has gone into meltdown with commentators from all sides of the argument demanding that the government step in.

Sofia Öliver (Invited): I have gone through twenty years of internal pain about my external appearance, and I’ve put so much effort and money into finally having the world see the real me! Gender isn’t a binary proposition: gender identity is not necessarily the gender assigned at birth. I was fortunate to have private funds and supportive parents, but not all are so lucky. Please recognise my right to self-determination of identity, and help those like me get the surgery and medicine they need.

ERNEST KLOKER (Nationalitz): Look, man is man and woman is woman: it’s written in our chromosomes. You can’t choose to be a different gender any more than you can choose to say you’re an Eagle,  Man, it sickens me. Lock dem all in an asylum till they get their heads straight!

ARGO LOVEKS (Classical Monarchist Party): Well I got a problem with these cross-dressers, a man wants the liberty to dress as a woman, I won’t deny him that: just don’t expect the taxpayer to pay for his operations and medicines.

SANSA STERK (Liberal Party): That's nonsense this people deserved to be trated as equals, not different. Montenbourg is not about hate is about love and support.

DecisionSex change-operations are legally performed at Montenbourg's hospitals.

• Riksdag Excerpt

10 April 2018

After MOFTA (Montenbourg-Omnibus Free Trade Agreement), Montenbourg imports large quantities of hardwoods from Omnibus, including the world-famous Omnibusian ebony. However, environmentalists are coming out of the woodwork with evidence that Omnibusian logging operations are non-sustainable, leading to large-scale deforestation.

FRANKIE BERGNSTEIN (Green Party): It’s clear-cut that Omnibus hasn’t been taking good care of the environment. We need to stop being bumps on a log, and take action! Lower demand and limit supply by placing high tariffs on the entry of foreign timber unless it comes from sustainable tree farms!

CORTANA STONEHD (Classical Monarchist Party):  Don’t get your bunnyhug in a twist; a little bit of logging is no more than their environment can handle, eh? Besides, while we quite like Omnibus trade, we don’t depend on it - trying to stop Montenbourg logging with a few tariffs would be like nailing jelly to a tree. They don’t call us Montenbourg for nothin’. Maybe instead of messing with trade, we could share in our prosperity by giving our furnishing industry subsidies? Who doesn’t like a chesterfield, eh?

WOODIE GUNTR (Liberal Party): We can’t see the forest for the trees; we need to branch out and sway every other nation to put the wood in the hole on Omnibus ebony. They won’t be shaking the pagoda tree when you sow the seeds of mistrust. Lets call in some industry periodicals to declare that their wood is as soft and weak as a banana. Buyers will think they’re barking up the wrong tree and instead leaf through some selections we approve of - like our own lighter Montenbourgian mahogany. It’ll be as easy as falling off a log, knock on wood.

DecisionOmnibus ebony is getting a real struggle in the industries because of local regulations.

• Riksdag Excerpt

10 April 2018

A furious debate over eminent domain, or compulsory purchase, the government’s right to take a citizen’s private property without permission, has erupted after the government evicted hundreds of people from their homes to make way for a new shopping complex and a bypass.

DURG STEIN (Green Party): Eminent Domain? More like outright theft! They took away our homes! I have to move everything in my life somewhere else because of the whims of some fruitcake city planner? It’s lunacy! This blatant power abuse mustn’t be allowed to continue. The government should require explicit permission before taking private property!

JOND AKSON (Classical Monarchist Party):  You can’t be serious. You’ve got to have bypasses. Eminent domain’s essential! Without it we’d actually have to pay for the property we were steali- ah- expropriating and that would mean lots of boring paperwork and be much more expensive. If we really need to build something, say a bypass to ease congestion, do you really want that to be stopped because one person says no? We need eminent domain to let Montenbourg make progress. In fact we could cut costs even more if we didn’t have to pay compensation...

SAVAN KLOSF (Liberal Party): I do believe we should retain our right to eminent domain, But to use it for private industry is just immoral and corrupting. We really ought to only use eminent domain for the purpose of building public utilities like hospitals, schools, and carparks.

Decision: Private abandoned-lands are seized and buyed by the State .

• Riksdag Excerpt

11 April 2018

The recent publication of a book “Who Pays For Government?”, written by internationally famous economist Millicent Freeman, has triggered a public debate about voting rights.

WESLEY EINSTEIN (Nationalitz): Look, it’s simple. Most things the government does cost money. That money has to be raised through taxes, so anybody who doesn’t pay any tax shouldn’t have any say in choosing the government either. We should make paying at least a specified minimum amount in tax necessary for inclusion in the electoral lists. It’ll reward those who actually contribute to society, and give those who don’t a bit of incentive to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

BRUCE LOVEGOOD (Green Party): That’s not going far enough! Since state employees are drawing their salary from the government, they’re not contributing anything to the economy either, and they should be excluded from voting too!

HEIDI SHORE (Liberal Party): No, no, a thousand times no! Voting is the most basic right we have, and election day is the one time when every Montenbourgian, rich or poor, is an equal. The right to vote has to be protected for all Montenbourgians, and election day made a public holiday so that working class people can afford to vote without risking losing their jobs. The dip in productivity is more than justified by ensuring everyone has a chance to perform their civic duty.

MANUEL BELCHER (Classical Monarchist Party): That’s very stirring rhetoric, but I wonder if everyone really feels that way. So why not give everyone the choice? Make it legal for people to sell their votes, and leave it to them to decide what’s more important to them: keeping their vote, or feeding their family.

Decision: Factories grind to a halt every time there is an election..

• Riksdag Excerpt

11 April 2018

Nationalitz party leaders have proposed government monitoring of individual internet usage.

ERNST HARRISON (Nationalitz): In these days of terror and uncertainty, it’s exactly what we need. Every pervert, terrorist, bomb-building maniac and anti-government idiot is currently online. I’m not saying that we should block citizens from seeing it, but let’s also watch who’s seeking it out. This will give our law enforcement officers the chance to prevent crimes before they happen. If you’ve done nothing wrong, you’ve got nothing to hide.

KURT SLOMOT (Independent): Well, we should block out that filth. If people want to use the internet, they can view our government-approved sites. Those are swell.

LLWELYN MIDOTI (Liberal Party): Tyranny is the natural result of limiting information! Someone, somewhere, will always find something offensive — mimes for example. Those scare the hell out of me. But should we ban them? No! Free the internet! We have nothing to fear from free information but pop-up advertising!

Decision: Internet is not regulated in Montenbourg.

• Riksdag Excerpt

11 April 2018

A recent article in The Montague Naysayer has exposed a dirty little secret: prison wardens have been quietly exporting the organs from executed criminals and pocketing the proceeds. Enraged citizens, particularly victim’s rights organizations, demand retribution.

Wolfgang Larkin, holding a black-draped family photo: These murderers took away our families and our futures. The court ordered restitution, but most criminals have no money. These wardens are stealing the only thing of value these criminals still have: their organs! Give surviving family members the remuneration from these sales. It’s the very least you can do after all we’ve suffered.

CARLOS LENNIN (Nationalitz): They have also lost family to murders and nothing will bring them back to their loving arms. Monetary reimbursement can’t replace what they have lost, but perhaps others can benefit from their loss. We must expand the list of capital crimes to discourage criminals from committing any crimes at all, while providing a substantial source of new organs to our hospitals. Criminals can repay society by helping the ailing victims of organ failure. Let transplant survivors be our memorial!

ROSHI AMANIRA (Liberal Party): We cannot relieve violence with violence. The solution lies not with taming corrupt officials, but within ourselves. We should not be killing these criminals; we should be leading them. Our prisons should hire counsellors to guide them to a better path of penance and good works. Prisoners can return life with life by tending our crops and feeding the hungry. We must end capital punishment, for the betterment of our own inner light. Only then will we truly find peace.

Decision: Condemned prisoners spend hours on meditation techniques and therapies.

• Riksdag Excerpt

13 April 2018

The community has appealed to Montenbourg to increase humanitarian aid to the world’s poorer nations.

BARBARA MULDER (Liberal Party): First , congrats to our Princess Royal on her baptism, this a good day for Montenbourg. In other words I call the Riksdag that we must increase foreign aid. Compared to some of these nations, Montenbourg is swimming in Monten Pounds. Let’s face it, not every nation in the world is lucky enough to have a government like ours. Let’s show some compassion to our less economically gifted neighbors.

FINN TRAGARIEN (Nationalitz): Talk about a way to flush Monten Pounds straight down the toilet. What I’ve noticed is that whenever we do give something, it’s never enough: a few years later they’re back asking for more. The best way to help these poor nations is to stop shielding them from the logical consequences of their idiotic, long-debunked socialist economic policies.

URLS DENOSTER (Classical Monarchist Party): Relief wouldn’t hurt us... if we ‘relieved’ the right countries. We give them a little humanitarian aid, they give us access to their Information Technology markets... it’s win-win. Nothing wrong with a little quid pro quo, especially for a good cause.

Decision: Montenbourg has increase its Foreign Aid programs. Now the nation has an international reputation for compassion.

• Riksdag Excerpt

20 April 2018

Sporting events have always drawn big crowds of passionate fans, but those same crowds can bring a temporary surge in crime. While extra policing can be assigned, questions have been raised over who should pay for this.

SILVIO LIU (Liberal Party): These are big-profit events for the corporations that run them, but they generate considerable externalities which must be paid for by taxpayers,” . “Let the profiteers pick up the extra cost, as guesstimated... I mean, carefully calculated by a department.

ARCHIBALD SESTERO (Classical Monarchist Party): Excuse me? Since when have private companies been liable to fund public services? If you cut into profits, you discourage free market enterprise, and if you do that, there’ll be less sporting entertainment. And you know what happens when a populace doesn’t get its sports? That’s right - they start thinking about politics, and criticising their social betters. Do you really want that to happen?

BORIS TRADSVO (Green Party): There’s no need for all this bovver. So we like to let off a bit of steam before and after the match, and have a bit of a scrap. It’s all good fun, and nobody who don’t wants to be there has to be there if they don’t wants to be, right? So why not give the rozzers the day off, and let us sort ourselves out?

GOLIGHTY VRASYU (Nationalitz): Sports fans are a nasty bunch, but you’ve got to admire their fighting spirit. Come wartime, we could use men of their calibre. Shut down all professional sports, and conscript the lot of them. All that pent-up energy can instead be directed to the national good.

DecisionMatches are often attended by police presence with water cannons... just in case. For die-hard fans.

• Riksdag Excerpt

20 April 2018

After the teen pop-sensation ‘Justyn’ is dead, and the police investigation into his brutal murder-by-decapitation has revealed that it was a contract killing, organised through a highly professional ‘dark web’ assassination firm. The Riksdag made a reunion discussing the situation.

RUTH UBINGER (Nationalitz): This talentless teeny-bopper’s pop music may have been criminally bad, but he didn’t deserve the death penalty! Haha.  Clearly law enforcement is struggling with modern technology. Your Majesty, Prime Minister, members of the Riksdag, if you’re watching, take my advice: spend some money on a decent Cyber Crimes division. Fill it with people who might have failed a stupid physical test, but who have tech-savvy and brains. Oh, and in case you’re wondering, yes I’d love to join up!

EVAN FREEMAN (Classical Monarchist Party): You can’t police the internet short of shutting it down, and only a loony would suggest that could be an option. People need to defend themselves at the moment of attack! Crazy regulations about so-called ‘reasonable force’ are holding us back. Let the free market arm the people, so that a free people can freely defend themselves! Though obviously, ahem, not for free.

AXEL JUGHEIN (Green Party): We would like to legalise our little enterprises, so we can move from the dark web and into the light of legitimate business, death merchant apps and micropayment mutilations. We would allow create a small excluded target list, and will always be fastidious with tax payments. Just think on it.

Decision: HM Government is doing everything in their hands to regulate, sanction and prosecute dark-web enterprises.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.