Statement: June as Europe LGBTQ+ Month

• Emma stands at the podium. Talks with property at the microphone. LGBT Groups gathered at the Eurocouncil to hear the speech. She breathed. 

Dear Councillors, since our founding, Europe has advanced on an unending path toward becoming a more perfect Union.  This journey, led by forward-thinking individuals who have set their sights on reaching for a brighter tomorrow, has never been easy or smooth.  The fight for dignity and equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people is reflected in the tireless dedication of advocates and allies who strive to forge a more inclusive society.  They have spurred sweeping progress by changing hearts and minds and by demanding equal treatment -- under our respective laws, courts, and politics.  This month, I urge that we recognize all they have done to bring us to this point, and we recommit to bending the arc of our Union toward justice.

LGBT individuals deserve to know the European Union stands beside them. That is why my country is striving to better understand the needs of LGBT adults and to provide affordable, welcoming, and supportive housing to aging LGBT montebourgian.  It is also why we oppose subjecting minors to the harmful practice of conversion therapy, and why we are continuing to promote equality and foster safe and supportive learning environments for all students.  We remain committed to addressing health disparities in the LGBT community -- gay and bisexual men and transgender women of color are at a particularly high risk for HIV, and we have worked to strengthen our national HIV/AIDS Strategy to reduce new infections, increase access to care, and improve health outcomes for people living with HIV.

Despite the extraordinary progress of the past few years, LGBT Europeans still face discrimination simply for being who they are.  We know that sometimes conservative talk gets its way and some beliefs systems are applied without any justification targeting LGBT individuals. Our commitment to combatting discrimination against the LGBT community does not stop at our borders:  Advancing the fair treatment of all people has long been a cornerstone of Montenbourg diplomacy, and we have made defending and promoting the human rights of LGBT individuals a priority in our engagement across Europe.  In line with Montenbourg commitment to the notion that all people should be treated fairly and with respect, champions of this cause at home and abroad are upholding the simple truth that LGBT rights are human rights.

There remains much work to do to extend the promise of our Union to every European, but because of the acts of courage of the millions who came out and spoke out to demand justice and of those who quietly toiled and pushed for progress, our Union needs to make great strides in recognizing what these brave individuals long knew to be true in their hearts -- that love is love and that no person should be judged by anything but the content of their character. 

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights and I propose this Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Month, as Europeans wave their flags of pride high and march boldly forward in parades and demonstrations, let us celebrate how far we have come and reaffirm our steadfast belief in the equal dignity of all Europeans.

Hereby,

This Council Recognises:

• June as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) History Month 2018
    • The inequalities in society faced by the LGBT Community in Europe.
    • The need for this place to enshrine equality in law for the LGBT Community.

This Council Urges the Members to:

• Publish, not under obligation but under aims of hope, an equality programme to demonstrate it's commitment to equality for LGBT persons in there respective nation.
    • Publicly Condemn hateful rhetoric on LGBT rights.

I call upon you Councillors of our European Union to eliminate prejudice everywhere it exists, and to celebrate the great diversity of we the people of Europe.

Lady Emma Granger, 2th Baroness of Montague

His Majesty Councillor for the Kingdom of Montenbourg 

• Emma Granger presents to the Council, Montenbourg Equality Programme 2018:

Councillors, His Majesty's Government have made historic strides to expand opportunities and advance equality and justice for all Montenbourgians, including Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Montenbourgians. From major legislative achievements to historic court victories to important policy changes, the Prime Minister has fought to promote the equal rights of all Montenbourg — no matter who they are or who they love. That commitment to leveling the playing field and ensuring equal protection under the law is the bedrock principle our nation was founded on and has guided the Goverments’s actions in support of all Montenbourgians. And the progress HM Government has made mirrors the changing views of Montenbourgians, who recognize that fairness and justice demand equality for all, including LGBT Montenbourgians and this includes all Europeans. Here our programme.

• Parental support and family law issues in social services modern, equitable and gender equal. We understand that Family constellations vary and have different needs. In light of this, the Government has concentrated responsibility for these issues at the Family Law and Parental Support Authority. An important task for the Authority is producing knowledge support for relevant actors so that these, in turn, can provide better support and guidance to parents and children.
    • Families can take many different forms, but when the parental insurance system was designed, it was still based on the idea of a nuclear family with two co-habiting parents. The living conditions of families with children have changed over time. We have changed that.
    • Overcoming years of partisan gridlock, the Prime Minister worked with the Riksdag to pass and sign into law the Hate Crimes Prevention Act into law in April 2018, which extends the coverage of Provinces hate crimes law to include attacks based on the victim’s actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity.
    • In March 2018, the Health Care Act was signed into law by the King and ensures that Montenbourgians have secure, stable, and universal insurance. Healthcare Agency is no longer able to discriminate against anyone due to a pre-existing condition, and because of the law, the Agency can no longer turn someone away just because he or she is lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender.
    • The Government has long advocated for a Constitutional guarantee of marriage equality for same-sex couples. And we have attained that. Now Same-Sex couples have the same rights as heterosexual couples. 
    • Assignment for the Montenbourg Agency for Youth and Civil Society to collaborate with the National Agency for Education to conduct measures aimed at improving knowledge about LGBT issues and creating an open and prejudice-free environment in schools for young LGBT people.
    • Assignment for the National Board of Health and Welfare to conduct measures aimed at improving knowledge about the situation of LGBT people and their treatment within social services.
    • Assignment for the Living History Forum to concentrate on combating homophobia and transphobia among young people within the framework of its work on education material.
    • Assignment for the Montenbourg Exhibition Agency to give clearer emphasis to LGBT-related issues within the area of exhibitions in museum and arts.
    • MONAID, Montenbourg government agency under the Foreign Office primarily responsible for delivering international aid and assistance, launched the LGBTI European Development Partnership and "Being LGBTI in Europe," and funded a range of LGBTI human rights programs. In 2017, MONAID released its LGBT Vision for Action, a document that communicates MONAID's position on LGBTI issues to internal and external stakeholders.
    • In February 2017, MONAID appointed a MONAID Senior LGBT Coordinator to ensure that the promotion and protection of LGBTI rights is fully integrated into all aspects of MONAID's vital work overseas. 
    • In February 2018, the Foreign Office appointed the first-ever Special Envoy for the Human Rights of LGBTI Persons to lead and coordinate Montenbourg diplomatic efforts to advance LGBTI rights around the globe. 
    • The Foreign Office revised its Foreign Affairs Manual to allow same-sex couples to obtain passports under the names recognized by their province through their marriages or civil unions.
    • And under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals and Minorities (DACAM), LGBT+ can ask for Refugee Status if there right have been subject of abuse.

Montenbourg publicly CONDEMN any hateful rhetoric either by law or acts that affects LGBT+ rights, done by any of the member nations here present. We remeber to fellow councillors that people have the right to be themselves in all areas of life. This includes the right to live with the person you love and to have your family formation treated with respect. Efforts to break old norms that limit people from fully living their lives must continue. And hear! those who fear from who they choose to love, Montenbourg will always be your home, where fear is definitely not welcome!

• Mod

Firoux smiled to himself as he imagined the ensuing condemnation that will inevitably happen back in Saint Dominico after giving his thoughts on this motion that would surely be considered controversial to some back home. Firoux stood to speak.

I must thank Councillor Granger for continuing to lend her voice to those who are voiceless and defend those who are defenseless. The European Council has been a chamber where issues and rights related to LGBT people have often been discussed, but a place where action has unfortunately rarely been taken. I must also commend the government of Montenbourg, who have clearly designed and implemented a programme that has brought justice and equity to many people’s lives, as well as laws that have made great progress in fostering cooperation and combating hate.

With that said, I am not entirely sure what the purpose of releasing the report to the European Council floor does, and while the government of Montenbourg is certainly free to condemn hateful rhetoric in any capacity that it wants, I am not sure if this is the most effective venue to do so. Montenbourg’s Equality Programme is very impressive, so it probably deserves to have that information expressed as a press release somewhere more public or engaging, because it’s going to just be sucked into an empty void in here.

Firoux clears his throat.

Back to the original proposal, though.

I’m all for declaring the June of this year as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) History Month. Although, I’d recommend that we simply call it Pride Month. I’d also rather have that we make June the official, permanent Pride Month, not just the one for 2018. The point of a pride month, at least to me, inherently recognizes the history of discrimination against LGBT people, as well signifies the sign of progress that can be made, so there is no need to explicitly recognize the other two points Councillor Granger has put forward. Furthermore, I also find that there is no point in recognizing the need to enshrine equality in law for the LGBT community, because that’s nothing more than an extremely vague promise that would not only cover a humongous range of issues that we simply don’t have the jurisdiction to legislate upon anyway, but is also exactly as I said – a vague empty promise. LGBT people deserve actual legislation, not just recognition to legislate. A pride month has a lot of potential for allowing recognition where recognition should be made… but we also need to do better than just simply accruing more and more calls for recognition and we need to actually make concrete steps where we legitimacy can.

As for the urging to publish an equality programme, I think this is something that individual governments really ought to decide outside of the European Council without our urging. The status and affairs of all European people are obviously the affairs of the European Council, hence why we are discussing, and should be discussing, LGBT rights. The actual running of equality programs themselves, though, are the responsibility of our sovereign governments, and thus they should be the ones deciding how to do so.

In regards to urging our member states to condemn hateful, anti-LGBT rhetoric, I believe that is something we could do as the European Council as a collective body. That’ll probably be more effective anyway. I doubt any member state would listen or follow through with such an urging, except Montenbourg obviously, so it's something we could do as a Council.

Edward Firoux,

Councillor of Inquista; Deputy Council Speaker

• Emma smiled and stood to speak.

I definitely applaud your words Councillor Firoux, and thank you. We are open to change, and the key of this statement is as you said earlier recognize the history of discrimination against LGBT people and the of progress that we can make as Union. I'm all for it to this month be called Pride Month. And as you understand this is the start of big changes for future legislation in our countries and for future acts enacted in our council. We can work together for an Act that gives LGBT people a chance to strive in our Union, and we will.

Hereby, 

This Council Recognises:

• June as Pride Month. As the official month to recognize the history of discrimination against LGBT people and the of progress that we can make as Union.

I call for member nations to speak up, and lets make this month our pride!

• Mod

Firoux was visibly shocked by Councillor Granger's kindness and eagerness to cooperate.

I thank you for being so willing to listen, Councillor. It goes without saying that I find your revisions to be most favourable, and I shall wholeheartedly support the amended motion. 

As the Speaker has not yet provided a timetable for discussion, I shall do so as Deputy Speaker. I'll extend the discussion for another period of 48 hours, which will last until 22:00GMT June 7th, 2018. We shall then have a regular voting period on the motion, which will last until 22:00GMT June 10th, 2018.  

Edward Firoux,

Councillor of Inquista; Deputy Council Speaker

• Aysel Annayewa took the word

Thank you collegue Granger for the invitation on this event. We had some vivid exchanges before but I am sure this possibility of open dialogue will improve both of our visions on the practical side of the protection of people with other sexual orientations.

I want to assure everybody that in Turkmenbaijan we do take serious the interests of any sub-cultures and sub-groups. Beside taking serious the interests we do represent them. Everybody has the right to be protected. But beside the individual interests we know as well the common interests, those of society. In this case the society means the nation, culture, social factors and those affairs has a determined impact on how people act, consider as good, bad or irrelevant, how they are.

It seems to me that this, the common interests and its consideration are fully forgotten in this debate. Recognizing measures and laws while support in society is absent or knows a fractional support of the people has no sense. Hate, discrimation and violence against LGBTQ will not decrease. I even dare to say that an increase is possible if we just ignore, in the case of my country, the lack of support.

I thank you for your listening.

• Mod

Since absolutely zero votes were cast, I am hereby extending the voting period for 48 hours from now, until 20:00GMT June 13th, 2018.

i shall also cast my vote. On behalf of the Mircrostate of Inquista, I vote FOR the motion.

Edward Firoux,

Councillor of Inquista; Deputy Council Speaker

• On behalf of the State Turkmenbaijan, I vote AGAINST the motion.

Aysel Annayewa,
    Councillor of Turkmenbaijan.

• Mod

On behalf of the United Kingdom of Great Britain, I vote FOR the motion. I also thank Councillor Firoux for acting as Deputy Speaker during my vacation period. 

Sir Edward Mountain

Speaker of the European Council

Councillor for the United Kingdom of Great Britain

• I, Lady Emma Granger, 2th Baroness of Montague on behalf of the Kingdom of Montenbourg, vote FOR the motion. I thank Councillor Firoux and Councillor Mountain for their support, it's time.

• Mod

Voting has now concluded. With 3 votes FOR and 1 vote AGAINST, this motion has passed.

Happy Pride Month everybody! I will organise a pride parade in Europolis for the end of the month. Councillor Annayewa can be our pride matron. See you all there!

Edward Firoux,

Councillor of Inquista; Deputy Council Speaker

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.