European Health Insurance Card Bill

• group:cid:2:privileges:mods:members

**European Health Insurance Card Bill

Presented by: Commissioner Maleeka Liszckoszi

Supported in Commission by: Premier Commissioner Alexander Kligenberg

Authored by: Councillor Dr Michael Reed (UK)**

Article 1.1
    The European Union will offer this health insurance card for all nations.

Section 1
    The health insurance card issued to the citizen will be entrusted with all the health insurance benefits of the government of origin.

Section 2 - Section Introduced by Speaker Keith EPP
    All healthcare providers- governmental or non-governmental- are to notify their customers, be they new or existing, about the EHIC and thus offer it to them; and are not to levy any kind of surcharge for the EHIC upon their customers, be they new or existing.

Article 1.2
    The health insurance card will provide a simpler format for international health care and health insurance processing.

Section 1
    The health insurance card will be accepted by all public and private healthcare institutions and governments of the European Union as a valid form of monetary payment and health insurance if the patient?s government of origin provides tax-subsidized healthcare.

Section 2
    The health insurance card will be accepted by all public and private healthcare institutions and governments of the European Union as a valid form of health insurance if the patient?s government of origin does not provide tax-provided healthcare.

Article 2.1
    The holder of the health insurance card will provide monetary compensation to the healthcare institution where the citizen received treatment.

Section 1
    In the case of the citizen receiving government-provided healthcare, the government of origin will reimburse the cost of healthcare to the public or private healthcare institution where healthcare was received.

Section 2 - Amendedment by Duxurbian Union - EPP
    In the case of the citizen receiving non-government provided healthcare, the public or private insurer of origin will reimburse the cost of healthcare to the public or private healthcare institution where healthcare was received with the citizen?s expected patient monetary contribution being paid to the public or private healthcare institution.

Section 3
    In the case of a citizen of a nation that does not provide healthcare based upon taxation who cannot pay his or her healthcare costs while holding this health insurance card, the private or public institution must provide billing services for the citizen to repay the healthcare cost.

Article 2.2
    Definitions of terms mentioned in the bill.

Section 1
    Expected patient monetary contribution is the insurance-mandated payment a citizen must make on health insurance before costs are covered.

Section 2
    Government provided healthcare implies that government is the majority or only source of healthcare and all institutions in the nation are paid for by appropriated tax monies.

Section 3
    Non-government provided healthcare implies that government acts as a watchdog against private and public healthcare institutions. The government could provide some subsidies but the public and private institutions generate operating funds from private insurance companies, expected patient monetary contribution, and patient payments.

DEBATE BEGINS NOW (04:24 BST 12/07/11)
    AMENDMENTS BEGIN at 04:24 14/08/11
    VOTING BEGINS 04:24 16/08/11 and ends at 04:24 19/08/11

Get engaged in the debate and POST TO VOTE!

• Who is going to be responsible for this new Health Insurance Card? Is it going to be a competence of the EU commissioner of Internal Affairs?

Sonia Satela
    Representative to the European Council of the Democratic Republic of Occoron

Councillor Satela, it is a pleasure to meet you finally. The administration of the card will be done from the office of internal affairs but interms of the hwole scheme it would need to be a co-operative effort. In a nation where people are under private insurance schemes the insurer will issue the card, in a nation where it is a naitonalised government health service the government will issue the card, both on application. I am hoping that in nations that have a free health cheme there will be an option to co-opt t into the passport service.

• It is indeed excellent news that a proposal like this is bring brought up. An European-wide health insurance card will without doubt have Pax Aurea's strong support.

A question for Commissioner Liszckoszi: Would there be any situations when the health insurance card could be denied, even if the person applying for it has a valid insurance in his or her nation of origin?

Livia Arcturus
    Councillor of Pax Aurea

• That pleasure is mutual, Commissioner Liszckoszi.

I think it would be indeed interesting to combine the passport service with the new Healt Care Card.

For the rest, I totally agree with my collegue Livia Arcturus: this is a very good idea and also the Democratic Republic of Occoron will fully support this idea.

Sonia Satela

In response to your question Councillor Arcturus,

Would there be any situations when the health insurance card could be denied, even if the person applying for it has a valid insurance in his or her nation of origin?

The legislation set down in this particular bill is to allow the card to be used european wide and to allow nations to adopt it, in terms of issueing it to citizens it is the role of the sovereign nation of origin to approve who is entitled to this health card.

We expect once the card is into use sovereign nations and health insurance companies to set up their own legislation for who can apply for a card.

• Admin

((OOC: Enoch Shaw's name is meant to be on this.))

Councillor Keith stood.

While I support this bill wholeheartedly, I cannot help but wonder whether the rather laissez-faire approach to the handing out of these cards on a national basis could be open to abuse by governments or health insurance companies? Couldn't poorer people in many nations be priced out of the EHIC by their government or private health insurance provider? I'd propose that we have a caveat ensuring that the EHIC must come as an integral part of any healthcare provision in the Union, be it public or private, and not as an extra.

Also, we ought to ensure that this isn't abused so that citizens of nations offering poor-quality healthcare end up travelling to foreign nations with better healthcare, which- though the cost is reimbursed- could put strain upon the hospitals in the latter nation.

Pleasure as always Speaker Keith and very wise questions that can help us clarify this bill so thank you for them.

I fear that a caveat of such a nature would be interferring with naitonal sovereignty, maybe I don't understand the full stipulation you wish to attach to this bill, I wondered if you could explain it in more detail to allow me a more suitable and defined response as im sure national sovereignty is high on your agenda as an EPP member. It is a nations responsibility to decide what is best for its citizens.

In response to your worry about 'medical tourism' you carry your home nation's scheme with you so if your insurance scheme covers you for 200euros you would only get that much equivalent by currency terms in the naiton you are visiting. You basically receive what you do in your home nation. So this medical tourism cannot occur as such.

I hope this explains the bill clearer. But please expand on the caveat.

• Admin

Yes, but if your 200 Euros gets you better quality treatment in a foreign country than your own? Surely then one would- if it were easy and cheap to get there- travel there for one's treatment?

As for the proposed caveat, I suggest that we include in this bill the stipulation that healthcare providers- be they state or private, so no particular sovereignty issue- must offer the EHIC as part of their package or service, and must not charge for this. Put simply, this is a producer putting reservations on how its customers sell its product- only this is going to be binding through the Union as we are a governmental body.

• I propose that the bill be amended to include that governments of origin OR private insurance would have to cover costs. Though, depending on the nation of origin, they could incorporate an expected patient monetary contribution/co-payment for operations and other health services to discourage healthcare tourism and ensure that governments have a say in how they pay for the citizen's healthcare and keep costs down for the sovereign government of both the citizen and facility.

Both Dr Reed and Speaker Keith make valid points that willbe seen through to the amendment stage soon to be declared

NOW WE MOVE ONTO AMENDMENTS - can Dr Reed and Speaker Keith please propose the changes they suggest thank you

• Mod

The Duxburian Union would like to amend Section 2:

Section 2
    In the case of the citizen receiving non-government provided healthcare, the government of origin will reimburse the cost of healthcare to the public or private healthcare institution where healthcare was received with the citizen?s expected patient monetary contribution being paid to the public or private healthcare institution.

to:

_Section 2
    In the case of the citizen receiving non-government provided healthcare, the public or private insurer of origin will reimburse the cost of healthcare to the public or private healthcare institution where healthcare was received with the citizen?s expected patient monetary contribution being paid to the public or private healthcare institution. _

The government of origin should not be on the hook for payment if the insurance is private to begin with.

• Admin

Angleter seconds the Duxburian amendment and suggests that Article 1.1 be amended to include a new section, Section 2:

Section 2

All healthcare providers- governmental or non-governmental- are to notify their customers, be they new or existing, about the EHIC and thus offer it to them; and are not to levy any kind of surcharge for the EHIC upon their customers, be they new or existing.

I support these amendments which make a lot of sense thank you for these councillors

• Excellent points raised by the Angleterian and Duxburian Councillors. Pax Aurea also agrees with the proposed amendments.

Livia Arcturus
    Councillor of Pax Aurea

• Also the Democratic Republic of Occoron agrees with this amendments.

Sonia Satela

The Vote is Now open! - Vote ends at 04:24 19/08/11

Os Corelia Votes FOR this bill

• Admin

Angleter votes FOR.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.