Proposal: European Patent Office

• Ladies and gentleman, fellow Commissioners and Councillors

I would like to bring to your attention a plan to create a European wide patent registration system.

This patent office would be in service of all our member nations. It would Hold the authority to grant "European Patents" for new inventions and innovations. These patents, in turn, would be recognized as legally binding in all European Union nations.

It is my belief that such a patent system would be of great assistance to all European corporations, institutes, and individuals operating on the field of research and development. It would also strengthen our joint European economic strength on the global market.

There is of course the question of funding the work of this office. Personally, I would see the funding coming equally from all EU member nations since all are free to utilize its services. This, like everything else, is very much open for debate.

But before presenting you with any proposals for actual legislation, I would like to hear the opinions of my fellow Councillors about this idea. Is there support for a plan such as this in the Union?

Vergilia Ceranio
    Economics Commissioner

• The Democratic Republic of Occoron is very interested in such an idea. We think it would be very good for our economies and we believe it would also be a great assistance indeed. The Democratic Republic of Occoron is willing to finance such a patent system.

But some questions must be answered:
    Will the European patent be paying? Or will it be costless?
    If the European patent will be paying, how much will it cost? Cheap, so everyone can get one, or will it be more expensive, a privilege for larger companies?
    Will the European patent be limited in time?

The Democratic Republic of Occoron is a proponent to make the European patent paying, to prevent that pranksters will ask for patents for unreal inventions. We will not support a very expensive patent, as it will impede the growth of smaller companies. The Democratic Republic of Occoron would also like to limit the patent in time, to ensure the competition between companies.

Of course, we are also interested to hear the opinion of other member states.

Sonia Satela
    Representative to the European Council of the Democratic Republic of Occoron

• ((OOC: Maybe you should adapt your member title to Commissioner for Economics, to avoid misunderstandings))

• ((Done. Also, it isn't really the done thing to address non-Commissioners with proposals before they reach the Council. Unless it's already been approved by the Commission, that is.))

• Rhine Ruhr agrees with the position taken by Occoron. If the patents had a fee, they could help finance the patent office, reducing the burden on our nations. I also agree with the notion of a timed patent. This would support competition in Rhine Ruhr's laissez faire economy. If these are the conditions for patenting, Rhine Ruhr will gladly support this proposal.

Dominik Frank
    European Council Delegate of Rhine Ruhr

• Laois and Offaly thirds sentiments by Occoron and Rhine Ruhr. We are very enthusiastic about such an innovation in Europe and agree that setting a fee would help bolster the position of a new patent office. The proposal needs beefing up and I'm sure Pax Aurea will present a convincing and detailed proposal to the Council.

• group:cid:2:privileges:mods:members

A fantastic idea from Comissioner Ceranio that I will sign in support of. This will help a community of a freer market. I am sure that the honorable commissioner will create a much more appropriate bill when presenting it before chamber which I ask the commissioner to give me a reading of so I can sign-off my support and allow it to go to a council vote.

I believe it may be valuable investigating the ideas of the funding perhaps each nation can sign up to the patent office either by that naiton paying a nominal sum to fund patenting for the companies or the office alteratively can offer a reasonable price for companies and inventors to pay. This would allow a sovereign contorl on such an office.

Commissioner Maleeka Liszckoszi

• Perhaps there could be two types of copyrights, short and long term. The short term copyright would last for 20 years, with a possibility of renewal for an additional 10 years - after this point it would be public domain.

The long term copyright would last for 60 years with no renewal. However, long term copyrights would have to be approved on a case by case basis in the best interests of the public on whether it would restrict that specific industry's freedom or market growth.

Commissioner Luc Clazier, Austrur.

• Thank you for the feedback. We will start working on the bill's legislative text, and I will make sure Mrs Liszckoszi can examine the paper in advance and give her view of it in order to bring it to the Council floor.

I agree that a nominal fee should be paid to the office while applying for a patent right; this would help funding its work. Like Mrs Satela of Occoron pointed out, the fee should not be designated too high lest it bar some smaller, less wealthy but equally innovative players from the patent market.

Os Corelia's proposal would be a working compromise for financing the office. The suggestions of Rhine Ruhr and Austrur concerning timed patents are likewise very good, and these will be included in the first draft of the bill.

Vergilia Ceranio
    Economics Commissioner

• I am very happy that Commissioner Ceranio takes our remarks into account. I am also very curious about her final proposal.

Sonia Satela
    Representative to the European Council of the Democratic Republic of Occoron

• Hans K?chler stood to address the idea of a Europe-wide patent office suggested by economics Commissioner Vergilia Ceranio.

"Firstly I would like to state that I personally support the idea of economic cooperation between European nations and applaud those that make efforts to increase cooperation.

Brecon's position is that patents have the potential to do more harm, by possibly slowing the adoption of beneficial innovations, than good. I am uninterested in starting a debate over the role of patents in creating an incentive for investment in R&D. The concept of private exploitation of an idea, possibly to the extent of denying its use to 'competitors' and institutions working for the public good, is ideologically offensive and has no place in the economic system of my nation.

I suggest that patent registration system apply only in nations that 'sign up' to the program. Alternatively there could be an opt out for nations that would prefer not to participate. I hope that national sovereignty will be respected in any proposed legislation on this matter."

• Mr K?hler, rest assured that Pax Aurea understands your concern. It is indeed possible to add an amendment to the bill, allowing European Union member nations to exclude themselves from the patent system with their explicit announcement.

However, since the very goal of creating a European Patent is to ensure that a patent registered this way is recognized in all EU member nations, this could put nations in a difficult position within the Union should they decide to withdraw from this system altogether. In a potential situation of conflicting patent rights, a European Patent might be ruled to surpass that of a patent of an individual nation that has withdrawn from this European wide system.

Mr K?hler is right that there exists a potential conflict of interests between national sovereignty and the proposed European wide patent system. Nevertheless Pax Aurea believes that such a system would eventually be beneficial to all parties, ensuring that a patent applied in nation X would also be recognized all around the Union.

• Commissioner Ceranio has met with Commissioner Liszckoszi with the first draft of the European Patent System bill. It is very likely the bill will reach the Council floor in the next couple of days.

• I look forward to see the result of the hard work of Commissioner Ceranio.

Sonia Satela
    European Councillor of the Democratic Republic of Occoron

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.