Council Voting Procedure Changes Article VI

• group:cid:2:privileges:mods:members

In relation to Article VI [Procedures of Voting in the European Council] I believe that the times of each voting stage are labourious and need to become a speedier process. This is what I propose:

Voting in the European Council takes place in five phases, each outlined below.

1.Proposal: First, a nation or citizen puts forth a detailed proposal for debate. This must be sponsored by the relevant commissioner or the premier comissioner by submission to the relevant commission office before it is then presented to the council

2.Debate: Councillors then debate the said proposal within 24 hours, during which they can propose amendments.

3.Amendments: For 24 hours after the debating phase ends, voting may occur for the amendments proposed during the proposal. If there are none, Councillors proceed to the following phase.

4.Voting: For 48 hours after the amendments phase ends, Councillors may vote for the final and whole form of the proposal as presented before them, including all of its amendments. They may not propose any more amendments, vote for specific amendments, or otherwise break down the proposal in any form. Each vote is public, meaning it must be announced by the Councillor of each country as it is being cast.

5.Put into force: Once the voting procedure finishes, the executive institutions of the European Union may sign it, and the judicial institutions question its validity.

• Mod

I find this amendment to be favorable.

• Mod

I like the substance, although I have reservations about requiring a sponsor. If the relevant commissioner and premier commissioner have some beef against the nation of origin, they could effectively prevent said nation from bringing anything to the Council floor. That, or inactivity could delay getting proposals to the floor. I like how it keeps the Commission more involved, but how would these problems be addressed?

The only other things I'd suggest are to drop They may not propose any more amendments, vote for specific amendments, or otherwise break down the proposal in any form. from Clause 4, as this is implied in the previous clause. Also, Each vote is public, meaning it must be announced by the Councillor of each country as it is being cast. might be more formally worded as Each councillor's vote must be announced when cast. Non-public votes will not be counted.

======================
    For re-construction reference this proposal affects:

Article II, Section 4: Voting Procedure Clauses

• I am happy with these changes.

• Admin

I oppose making bills reliant on the Commission- it takes away from the Council's right to legislative initiative and makes this system all-round less democratic, and I oppose shortening the period so as to get as many Councillors to participate as possible.

I would support the Duxburian proposals, however.

I am confused then to the role of the commission currently as I was under the impression that the commission were in charge of creating the bills and to get a bill to council vote we need a majority of commissioners to approve??

• Mod

That's a Kligenberg Administration policy, kind of. He does that in order to increase the odds that bills pass. However, Commission support is not actually needed in order to bring a bill to the Council floor. See the National Rights Act for an example of a bill that started natively in the Council and in fact had Commission opposition.

The Commission is the executive body of the region; the Council is the legislative body. Commissioners may propose and steer policy directives relevant to their office, but it's really the Council's responsibility to write legislation. Any individual or nation can write them.

Aha ok I get it now!

• Mod

The proposal is stalled at 2 for, 1 mostly for and against on one item, and 1 against. More discussion is needed.

• Mod

QUOTE (Duxburian Union @ Nov 7 2011, 08:19 PM)

That's a Kligenberg Administration policy, kind of.

NOT AT ALL! Have you seen any of my million rants about it? The entire time I've wanted to give the Council power, which it's lost it the Commission during the VOOLEEK ADMINISTRATION.

• Mod

[OOC: Oh, my apologies then. I would have been very inactive during the Vooleak Administration and thus would not have noticed that it started then.]

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.