An Important Idea

• Righto, so some of you may be aware that there exists another type of forum host - Zetaboards - and that it's run by the same people behind Invisionfree, which we currently use. You may not know that for a good few years now, said people have focussed 100% on Zetaboards, and left In visionfree to stagnate. Moreover, ZB has a smorgasbord of features that IF doesn't. For one, it's a damn sight easier to administrate (and, or so I'm told, to moderate). Anyway, here's a list of other extra features:

• Spoiler tags
    • Easy-to-create table in BBCode
    • Embed video (EV potential)
    • ? usually works, turns to SS instead of a box/question mark when it doesn't
    • Borders and backgrounds to text
    • Quotes and codes look nicer
    • Lists are actually worth using instead of being a bloody hassle with a pop-up
    • Little box tells you you've got a PM - no more flashing thing that you have to click at right time to get to the message
    • Chat box at bottom of forum
    • Can view a user's posts
    • Says if person's online or not below post
    • Multiple polls (approval rating polls would work!)

Drawbacks are minimal - I can't send mass PMs as admin any more, basically.

Myself and GDR - the remaining active admins - are both fans of ZB, having tested it (alongside Rhine) on this test forum I set up. You're all now welcome to try it out. Anyway, I'm talking about all this because the IF/ZB people have long advocated IF forums moving to ZB, and have a system whereby IF forums can convert to ZB and keep everything and carry on as normal. However, there's a problem - only the root admin can actually do this conversion, presumably for ownership reasons, and our root admin is not me. It's not GDR or Belarum. It's not even USSR (who I can contact). No, it is Some Semi-Rural Finns, who posted a few times before disappearing only a few months after these forums were founded, before ZB (let alone the conversion process) was even established. Nonetheless, I'm told on the IF/ZB community forums that there might be a way to convert even without the miraculous return of our root admin. Yet obviously, I don't want to bother someone about converting without being sure we want to convert. So, bearing in mind it's not certain that we can convert - do you think we should try to convert? Be sure to have a go on the test forum before deciding.

• Even though it offers much more of those features of yours, I consider this one much better. It not only looks much more professional, everyone is already used to it and pretty much all of you listed isn't really all that necessary... I vote InvisionFree. This is actually my last post before my vacation, so, don't bother to respond. Just take the fact that I oppose it into consideration. Sorry Angie ;3

• I am also a fan of ZB. So my vote is ZB.

• QUOTE (Red Croatia @ July 28th, 2013 - 7:07)

Even though it offers much more of those features of yours, I consider this one much better. It not only looks much more professional, everyone is already used to it and pretty much all of you listed isn't really all that necessary... I vote InvisionFree. This is actually my last post before my vacation, so, don't bother to respond. Just take the fact that I oppose it into consideration. Sorry Angie ;3

Well the test forum has the ZB default skin and layout. This can obviously be changed and likely will look similar to the current layout considering that we would be transferring all of our stuff over there. I agree partially that much of it isn't a necessity, I could live with some luxury. It would also be nice to have the root admin be someone who is still active with the community unlike SSRF who has been gone for over 7 years. ZB is also easier to moderate and administrate which should be taken into consideration given that we're always asking Angleter to do stuff for us.

• I used to be on an RP forum that used ZB and I liked it. I'm not sure if I prefer it to this or not. I think it had to deal with the depth of RP going on, and it worked for a lot of superficial things. It might be different with us, since we have a lot more depth to our RP.

• Anyone else care to give their thoughts?

• Commission

Having had a breif look around I like the look of the ZB forum, I think that we should move over to ZB.

• ECoJ

I think we might as well just stay with this one. Everyone knows these forums, and I'm not very keen on changing everything. Although, if we do transfer everything to ZB, I wouldn't be very upset.

• ZB seems like it would be a better option, if it's being developed and our current one is not.

• ZB looks very nice and practical... but is it a good idea to move because indeed, everyone knows this forum? what with pictures? because I can't see the results of EV completely, and I have this problem also with other pictures. It's maybe better for graphic things but for other things... I don't know. I vote for InvisionFree

• The problem with pictures is if they're too wide, they go off the screen. I don't know if ZB solves this.

Also, everyone be sure that you're voting based on each provider's features, and not the skin. I picked the skin for the ZB test forum in five minutes, and there seems to be an active community of people who make skins for ZB, so I could perhaps get someone to make one tailored for us.

• ZB worked well for me when I logged into the test forum. The ability to use spoilers could also be occasionally helpful. I am glad you said that there would be other choices for the skin. I think the black background is better than the original ZB one but is still not as nice as the one on this forum.

• I am for the switch only if we can obtain a database dump and transfer our history. The skin and features don't matter quite as much as that. Also, turn off the tags that let you embed videos. They would be useful, yes, but that is just begging to get hacked.

• Long: I might be late, but I believe ZB is better. I also think we should make the switch, but only if everything can be transferred (all posts, topics, ...). We'll also have to decide on a new theme for ZB, but that's more of a luxury problem smile.gif

Short: Go ZB!

• Though I am a noob I also play cyber nations and most major and minor alliances (Including ALL of the top 30) there use ZB as it is much more effective and easy to use/navigate. I vote ZB!

• administrators

So... What are we going to do? Forum transfer or just leave this as it is? I'm also sharing Rob's opinion that we should only do the transfer if we can transfer our history to the new forum.

• Unless I'm mixing ZB with something else, I believe that all the posts and related data is saved when a transition occurs from invisionfree to ZB (or at least I have vague memories of one of my own forums doing just that).

• QUOTE (Spitsbergia @ October 2nd, 2013 - 5:32)

Unless I'm mixing ZB with something else, I believe that all the posts and related data is saved when a transition occurs from invisionfree to ZB (or at least I have vague memories of one of my own forums doing just that).

That is the case. However, whether we can transfer normally is up in the air because our root admin is in the wind.

Anyway, it seems that the majority is in favour of moving if we can save all the posts and related data (I personally wouldn't consider moving if we lost everything), so in the next few days I'll look into the possibility of transferring, and then if I'm sure that we can do it and that we can do it without losing everything, we'll have a final vote. That alright?

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.