ALDGE Summer Summit

• user posted image

An Open Invitation

The Summer Summit

The Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for a Green Europe

user posted image

Ladies and gentlemen, fellow party members, dearest colleagues and friends,

The time has come to gather together for the second party conference of our Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for a Green Europe. For half a year and a little more, our party has shaped the political face of Europe and kept the banners of civil rights, liberty, and environmental awareness flying high. Now it is time to look back ? what have we achieved, what was left lacking? ? but also to gaze forward: what lies ahead for us in the months to come.

There is also the always important matter of our Party President to be decided.

Therefore, it is my pleasure to extend my invitation to all national party representatives and other affiliates of the ALDGE to attend to the Summer Summit of 2013 in Arrisium, Provincia Africana, Pax Aurea, beginning on Sunday, September 1st.

In order to best accommodate our guests, I would like to ask you to inform of your attendance and the size of your delegations in advance ? though latecomers will certainly not be turned away from the doorsteps, either!

You are all most warmly welcome. See you in Arrisium!

Livia Arcturus
    Party President

• The Liberal Center Party (LCP) of Pax Aurea will be represented by:

• Vergilia Ceranio - LCP Party Leader, Aurean Minister of Finance, former European Commissioner for Economics
    • Nadira Orcello - European Councillor of Pax Aurea
    • 8 additional secretaries, aides, and other personnel

• group:cid:2:privileges:mods:members

The Os Corelius Party (OCP) will be repsented by:

• Lord Khayn Krimtak - Os Corelius Party ALDGE Representative
    • Count Kairos Jelesniak - European Councillor for Os Corelia
    • 10 additional secretaries, aides, and other personnel

Commissioner Karolinasz Jaedala will be attending but is not a member of any Os Corelian party only ALDGE

• The Sinistra, Ecologia e Libert? party (SEL, or Left, Ecology and Freedom, LEF) would be glad to participate in this conference, and its delegation will be formed

• Matthew Renzj, Party Representative in ALDGE
    • Laura Muti, President of the Ataxxi Bar, the Lower House of Kryulandian Parliament
    • Cecyle Kyenge, future Councillor of Kryuland who has run for ALDGE.

Unfortunately Prime Minister Prodaj, also President of LEF, can not attend this conference because he is currently attending a summit between himself, H.M. King Casimiro IV Krushj and President of Pax Aurea Mr. Gaius Proctus. As soon as this conference will be over, he shall attend.

• ECoJ

The Inimician Green Party will be happy to send delegates to the Summer Summit. The Greens will be represented by:

• Charles Honeybourne, Green Party EU delegate
    • Christopher Tennant, his secretary and fellow Green Party member

• The Reform party will be happy to send delegates:

***Sergey Stefanov- ALDGE Representitive **
    *Adriano Veneva ]- Reform Party President
    ***Vladislav Iliev-Federation Council Minority Leader **
    Four additional aides and secretaries.

• Red Croatia's Green Party, aka. Green and Red (G&R) will be happy to send delegates to the Alliance's Summer Summit. The following shall be attending the summit:

• Ishizu Ishtar, Leader of G&R
    • Marija Magdalena, ALDGE Party Representative
    • Nine additional secretaries, aides, and other personnelLet us make sure that this summit ends in success!

Eleanor Val Sarin
    Personal Secretary of Ishizu Ishtar

• user posted image

The Summer Summit

September 1st, Arrisium, Pax Aurea

user posted image

Ladies and gentlemen, Liberals and Democrats of Europe, welcome to Arrisium!

We have been given a great opportunity by our gracious hosts, the good people of the city of Arrisium, to assemble here in the Hall of Atlantia. These chambers do not only provide us the room for our convention, but bear a very strong symbolic message as well. It was within these walls of the eldest wing of the building that Aurean politicians, seafarers, and merchant tycoons gathered in 1887 to sign a historical treaty that ended whaling in Aurean waters. A paper ahead of its time, a promise of a better future.

Is it too bold to hope that we may accomplish equally great things as we begin the Summer Summit 2013 of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for a Green Europe?

The ALDGE is a young party, as far as europarties go. We have left our footprint in Europe already, and over the coming months, we can hope to achieve an even more significant impact. Let us aim bravely for the future, and execute those plans today!

A few words about the structure of this conference. I spot a few faces I have not had the pleasure to meet in person just yet; something we will undoubtedly fix over the coming days. We shall begin by giving the floor to representatives from ALDGE member parties. Let us all introduce ourselves for those who may not yet be familiar with us.

Oh. I am Livia Arcturus, your Party President, by the way. [laughter]

In these introductory speeches, I would like us to turn our eyes on the past months, in Europolis and back home. How and where has the party succeeded, in your view? Where have we failed to meet the expectations? How is the green agenda progressing in your homeland?

Afterwards, we shall turn our eyes on the days to come. We will lay a roadmap towards a greener Europe. We shall revisit the Ocean Protection Act with fresh ideas and new approach. We shall discuss the possibility of a European carbon emission treaty ? would such a thing be realistic to begin with? And amidst of new tensions, how can we in our part ensure that peace is preserved in our Europe?

But more on that later. Now, I would like to encourage my fellow ALDGE members to claim the podium and bring us greetings from around our region.

Once again, welcome!

user posted image

As the applause died down Commissioner Karolinasz Jaedala took the the podium in her usual unobtrusive manner, unannounced. When peace realised she was going to speak applause began.

'My esteemed colleagues, it is my pleasure to finally meet you all. The people who helped me to where I am today. What an introduction form our gorgeous leader Livia, my predecessor in office, my inspiration.

So once again we have a commissioner in office that is of course myself. I have always believed it is important for there to be an ALDGE presence in the commission. I was admittedly at first a little disappointed in my appointed portfolio but have grown to feel its value and worth. From this position I have been able to engage Europe in a discussion around difficult issues such as nuclear weapons. I have also been able to give advice to new nations who are struggling to fin their feet defensively and to ease tensions in that respect. It is an honour to hold such a key role that I now understand and feel strongly about. I of course can only hope that I live up to the legacy of dear Livia.

We have been failing on one front the green front. One bill is not enough and the bill failed so effectively we've had nothing resembling the colour green in our chambers making waves. We need to decide this conference direct action in this regard to make an environmental impact. My portfolio doesn't allow for this and I can't work on it. The councillors can so lets pitch in and get the ball rolling. Europe is looking to us to improve the environment. Lets put the Green in ALDGE'

• ((OOC: So sorry for my delay but I didn't have internet last week))
    The Green Alternative for North Europa (GANE) will be represented by:

• Terese Carlsen - GENA Party Leader
    • **Kjetil Bergfalk **- Parliamentary Spokesperson
    • 5 additional secretaries and other personnel

• ECoJ

After applauding the commissioner, it was Charles Honeybourne's turn. Even though his nation, Inimicus, was once renowned for its contra-green policies, Honeybourne's Green Party has always provided increasing opposition to the current cabinet.
    A nervous speaker, yet very capable once he got into the right frame of mind, he began:
    "Also I wish to thank the Aurean citizens for having us here. My Emperor recently met with the Aurean president, a very fruitful meeting, I'm told. Let us hope this conference will be just as successful.

I would like to start by discussing the ALDGE in the past months. This wonderful new party has Mrs Arcturus's excellent leadership, a capable commissioner, and very good ideas for the future of this Union. However, I think we could achieve more by proposing more bills, not just the wonderful yet rejected Ocean Protection Act, but also, as our chairman said, a possible carbon dioxide act and many other environmental acts.

I am afraid, though, that the current Inimician councillor, Sir Augustus Barrington, would never support such acts. Even though Nicholas Benfield was ten times worse and Barrington has adapted some green aspects, as has the Inimician government, I cannot imagine him voting in favour of radical green legislation.

Speaking of Inimician green politics," - he was getting into it right now - "the Inimician Green Party has gained a lot of Parliament seats in two elections, and we are bound to gain even more, even though the Inimician People's Front (a fascist, Hitlerite party) has just seceded and is still on a light gain in the polls.
    'The Greens' are a sensitive subject in Inimicus, mainly because of the extremist groups that roamed our country. There is one thing this government has done well, and that's getting rid of those groups, although I cannot believe they're gone completely. The Green Party almost delivered Inimicus with a new Emperor, actually, after the tragic death of William I at the hands of those same extremists.

More recently, we had the gay parade massacre, in which the police violently disturbed a peaceful demonstration. Hugh I, even worse than William, fled the site cowardly instead of adressing the protesters. Among these were members of my party, admittedly, yet we have always resolved to peaceful opposition, and you can rest assured that we have nothing to do with any violent acts whatsoever. Thank you"

• Heralded by applauses, the delegation that had arrived from the closest distance, the Aurean one, claimed the podium. A duo of women stood next to each others, Vergilia Ceranio bearing a little Aurean flag pin on her jacket, her colleague Nadira Orcello an EU one.

Ceranio: ?Salve, dear friends and colleagues. Thank you, Livia, for your invitation, it's a pleasure to be here ? and might I offer on Pax Aurea's behalf a warm welcome to you all. My name is Vergilia Ceranio, and I currently serve as the Party Leader of the Liberal Center Party of Pax Aurea, as well as the Commonwealth's Minister of Finance. Some of you may also recall my involvement in the Commission for Economics in Europolis, a few years back.

I'm here to bring you a greeting and a heads-up from Pax Aurea's domestic perspective, while Nadira will say a few words stemming from her work in Europolis.

As I'm sure you know, we ? the Liberal Center Party ? are currently incumbent in Pax Aurea, along with a coalition of like-minded parties. Being the largest ALDGE affiliated party, we're represented here by myself and Nadira, but all things considered, it can be said that we are very ALDGE-ish a nation. Of the three other incumbent parties, the Green Alliance is quite unsurprisingly heavily leaning this way. There's some pull within the Liberal Democratic Alliance ? the party of President Gaius Proctus and Prime Minister Lucretius Laetenius ? towards our brethren of the ECL, and a little pro-S&D sentiment in the Olive Branch party, but when it comes to europolitics, we all pull the rope in the same way.

The consensus on many social and environmental issues has given us an exemplary chance to implement liberal and green principles in our national legislation, which I'm sure shines to the overall party goals Livia has set. She's Aurean and can't help it!

We're not immune to social and environmental problems, either, as the raise of sectarian violence and the increasingly global environmental threats have so acutely proven. There's only so much we can do alone, and this applies to every other nation. One nation can't, figuratively speaking, conquer the world alone, but can only set an example. A group of such nations together ? well, that's another story. Nadira, would you continue from here??

Orcello: ?Thank you, Vergilia. Good day to everyone. I'm sure you know me by know: Nadira Orcello, Pax Aurea's Councillor, also from the LCP. Vergilia has touched a sensitive issue that continues the ages-old tug-and-pull within the Council. The European Union by principle is a collaboratoral endeavour ? why bother joining if you just disregard its legislation and decisions? ? but the question about national sovereignty always surfaces sooner or later.

We've had, I dare say, very positive and encouraging examples on the Union's capacity to function as intended: a collaboratory endeavour. Just recently, President Gaius Proctus visited the Empire of Inimicus and met with Emperor Hugh. Last fall, it'd felt unlikely, to put it mildly, that a meeting could've been organized in such a amicable spirit, in the aftermath of the Telum Incident and the poignant critique of the late President Glorius. But thanks to the work of Commissioners Arcturus and Bass, the situation was dissolved. And albeit delayed by procedural details, the European Relief Force has now been deployed to assist in the post-Athena crisis in the Caribbean. These are but solitary examples of the great promise the Union presents us ? all of us.

And that's also needed, direly needed, since like Vergilia said, the issues we're facing today are not something one can handle alone in one's backyard. Environmental concerns are not a single pipe regurgitating green ooze into the ocean, as once pointed out in the Council, but a complex network of linked and entangled variables that originate and have effect on all nations and peoples of the world. We've become such a tremendous force that the planet's desperate to handle us ? like an exasperated parent trying to control a posse of unruly teenagers. If we are to achieve anything, we've got to find a way to approach these issues with the EU, through the EU, and for the EU.

I'd be very happy to see all our member states sign a voluntary treaty to cut back carbon dioxide emissions or maritime pollution, but I'm realistic enough to concede that this would most likely never happen. In order to accomplish real results, we're in need of binding legislation. That we can achieve only through the European Council, and that's where we, the ALDGE, are needed the most.

We must work beyond factional and party limits, seek compromises and consensus, but hold on to our principles when need be. Rather than cheap populism, we need hard facts.

But now, by the look on Vergilia's face, I'm already getting ahead of myself. This is where we stand now in the very subjective Aurean eyes of the LCP, in a nutshell. Thank you.?

• Livia Arcturus returned to the podium.

"Thank you for these greetings and assessments, my friends. Now that everyone present has been given a chance to say a few opening words, let us move on and get straight to the hard questions!

The need for European environmental legislation was brought up by many of you. It is really quite extraordinary, and not in any positive sense of the expression, that we as a Union are sorely lacking on this front.

Previous attempts to draft eco-laws have been defeated, perhaps partly because they may have been too ambitious and far-reaching, partly because economic necessities have often, and sadly, driven ahead of environmental protection.

Now it is high time to change this course.

The Ocean Protection Act has been brought to the table as something we need to re-visit. We all remember well, I believe, the debate and discussion it generated in the Council, and also the unfortunate conclusion. How would you improve this act, if we hope to re-introduce it to the full Council?

Beyond this particular act, there must be other environmental issues you consider top-priority. Now is the time to step up with your ideas and suggestions! If we as a party focus on three most important issues that absolutely need to get passed in the Council, what would you say these three are?

And even more importantly -- how to win the Council's support?"

Sitting on the conference committee panel table Councillor Count Jelesniak turned on his microphone:

'The Ocean Protection Act was simply a case of being at the wrong time. I was saddened to see it fail especially at a time it was impossible for me to attend council. Alas I have guilt but I had to place family matters first. I think we have been handed a crucial connection from the Green leaning division of the UEC through Commissioner Von Schroeder, with her cooperation and suggestions we can work this bill through the floor into legislation.

We also need to hold an open agreement on emission reduction. Something I think we can do within ourselves and expand. Those of us who are in government can discuss and agree a treaty we can encourage others to join. We also need to commit to renewable energy and resources'

• Councillor Nadira Orcello was chosen to give the Aurean view on the topic.

?I was naturally disappointed that we failed to see the Ocean Protection Act pass. Now that other parties have expressed their interest in supporting the drafting of a new, improved version of the old bill, I'm obviously very excited. To Pax Aurea, the preservation of our oceans is quite literally a matter of life and death. I hope that the Internal Affairs Commissioner will form a new think tank or a similar forum for us to brainstorm and pave way for a successful piece of legislation.

Seeing that this may take time, I'd also like to propose two more narrowly focused bills that should find wide-ranging support regardless of parties: one to strike a region-wide ban for single-hulled tanker ships ? this was one of the subsections of the original Ocean Protection Act ? and another to prevent overfishing by EU member states.

I'm still harbouring hopes that if we give enough moving space and flexibility for nations to decide the most appropriate means, we could succeed in passing a carbon emissions reduction bill. This could be supplemented with a nod towards renewable energy sources by the Union. Perhaps the EU could introduce a special trust fund, the moneys taken from the annual budget, to support national investments in green and sustainable energy production??

• ECoJ

After Nadira Orcello, Charles Honeybourne took the stage: "I think it best to begin with the Ocean Protection Act. As many before me have said, this piece of legislation shouldn't have been beaten and wouldn't have been beaten if more of the Left actually got to voting. Therefore it would be good to see the Act return to the Council table.

But then we get to the problem of gaining support. The UEC has many non-green nations, such as my own, Inimicus (altough the government has been spending some limited funds on green tech after the meeting with Pax Aurea's president). It will be hard to gain support from that part of the EU, even though Commissioner Schroeder has made some decisive steps forward. I therefore think we should focuse our attention on gaining UEC support, as well as Liberal votes."

• Livia Arcturus returned to the stage after the comments.

?I thank Mr Honeybourne for bringing up this important aspect of our work in Europolis. In the past, our party has born a good reputation of being able to work together with the other europarties. Though our political alignments may sometimes differ from those of our fellow europarties, we have been able to pursue shared agendas, cooperate on bill drafting, and often found ourselves on the same side when casting our votes. It is definitely worth every shot to continue reaching out to the UEC and other parties. This is why, in my opinion, the political think tanks we have seen in Europolis have given birth to such successful pieces of legislation.

Multi-party approach is also needed when it comes to the Union's capability to act as a peace-broker and mediator in conflicts, both internal and international. I find it encouraging that europarties from the opposite ends of the spectrum have experienced unity of purpose in such important matters as creating the European Relief Force or reorganizing the ENAA. Challenges to Europe's peace and stability have not vanished, and in the future, I see it even more of a demand for us all to forget party lines and work as one entity towards crisis management and conflict diffusing. Unity in the will to peace can be and should be Europe's strongest aspect.

The past months have seen new tensions building up in our region, new national defence maneuvers that led to clashes on the political front. We are still coping with the dreadful Dromund Kaas War and its unavoidable aftermath. I do believe that the ALDGE can serve as a force of peace to be reckoned with in the EU.

That is why I would ask you all to say a few words on the topic. What would you say are the most worrying problems of our region, peace-wise, and what role would you prefer to see our party taking in solving them??

• ECoJ

After Livia Arcturus had finished and it was clear that no one else was going to the stage before him, Charles Honeybourne took the podium

"Thank you, Mrs Arcturus. Not long ago, Commissioners Jaedala and Von Schroeder organised a full-scale security review among the EU councillors. My own councillor, Augustus Barrington, among other councillors expressed his concern of terrorist attacks on Europolis. For example, Nighel Farras of Kryuland stated Although I think that Europolis is secure enough to protect Councillors and officers, it may still be vulnerable to terrorist attacks, as we have seen some months ago, when the Commission led by Cllr. Frank was attacked while being in office.

This is indeed a point we should treat, but carefully. Inimicus has recently resolved the problem of the extreme environmentalists, although the government keeps provoking them more and more (no doubt they'll come back), by infiltrating the groups with informants and destroying them from the inside out. I think the ALDGE should co-orporate with other Europarties to handle this matter"

• Nadira Orcello, who had a very personal history with the intraregional counterterrorism cooperation plans, herself being one of the instigators of the Europol Act, a bill that did not pass in the Council, laid out a summary of the Aurean views.

?I'd like to begin with a bright ray of optimism by claiming that all things considered, Europe as a region is a stable, peaceful, and politically mature continent, with few seeds for violent crises or armed conflicts. We have come a long way from the days of superpower cold wars and frentic arms race for military supremacy. We work ardently towards social justice, democracy, and universal human rights. That's something we all should be proud of.

Those few seeds, however, must be taken with all seriousness, for though they are not many, they all contain a potential disaster waiting to happen. We as a region and we as a europarty shouldn't and can't turn our backs on them.

The recent coup and the civil war that broke out in the former Balkan Socialist Federation is a horrible tragedy, something none of us can ignore. It's also a textbook example of an endemic crisis sparked by an undemocratic society. We've also seen examples of civil unrest and civil war elements in nations with an emphasis on militarization, such as Davishire, and the unfortunate clashes between the Inimican Imperial government and the extreme elements of the environmentalists. Gradual demilitarization and de-emphasis on military prowess would therefore be keys to reduction of similar internal tensions in EU member states ? a development our party should be spearheading.

The Dromund Kaas War continues to be our shame and sorrow, but as we've seen in the past, little can be achieved by outsider parties to end it. Perhaps the EU can take responsibility for mediating negotiations between the Coalition of the Willing and the Kaasian regime once such initiative is taken seriously by the latter. In the meantime, the ALDGE should stay committed to the humanitarian aid operation Enduring Hope and prepare ? both domestically and in Europolis ? to the aftermath, which will certainly require a massive input by the European Relief Force.

Third, we have terrorism, again domestic and international. Over the past year we've seen senseless violence in Pax Aurea, Inimicus, Davishire, Inquista, Italy... Especially worrying is the rise of sectarian violence. As is often the case, these terrorist organizations, different as they may be, all seem to thrive on social marginalization. I'd be in favour of resurrecting the Europol as a treaty organization, something I know the government of Pax Aurea is currently investigating. And though it looks like we'd have little better chances in getting such a move passed in the Council than we had previously, what the ALDGE can do is focus on the roots of the problem: social marginalization.

I find it wonderful how our own Commissioner Karolinasz has focused on the LGBT rights and brought to spotlight the minorities that're ? even today ? often marginalized by society. The results have been promising and inspiring, for so much progress has already been done. A remarkable and welcome move was also the summit of religious spokespersons, summoned by the previous Premier Maleeka Liszckoszi. This is exactly what Europe needs: open and honest discussion that involves all parties, especially those that feel they're being dismissed or marginalized or even oppressed in some way. Otherwise, as we've sadly seen, frustration may lead to radical acts.

I believe that if we as a party can further these means, we'll also tackle the fourth and final threat to regional peace: the increasing presence of nuclear weapons. If we can help reduce tensions and abate crises, we'll be creating an atmosphere of genuine peace and international tranquility where the idea of nuclear deterrence becomes absurd and ridiculous. There's a long way to get there, but I honestly believe it's achievable.

It's no surprise to anyone that Pax Aurea would like to see the ALDGE profile itself as a pacifist party of the European Union ? or, even better, the pacifist party!?

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.