Committee Reform Act

Committee Reform Act

Author: Peter Montfort (Premier Commissioner)
    Presenter: Cllr. Anatoly Keith (Angleter)

Article I ? Purposes and Definitions

Section I

This Act intends to standardise and increase accountability in the organisation of Council committees.

Section II

For the purposes of this Act, we define the used terms as follows:
    COMMITTEE ? A group of predominantly Councillors established by European Union law to carry out certain executive duties.
    EBCWA ? European Biological and Chemical Weapons Authority
    EACB ? European Arts Collaboration Board

Article II ? Amendments to Existing Legislation

Section I

Article II, Section I of the European Heritage Site Act (2010) will be changed from ?Every proposal for inclusion at the list will require it to be approved by simple majority with a voting of the five members of the European Commission,? to ?Every proposal for inclusion in the list will require approval by the responsible body.?

Section II

Article II, Section I of the European Arts Collaboration Fund Act (2012) will be changed from ?Funds will be allocated by a board of councillors of the European Council. The board will have 4 councillors of cross-euro-party representation, appointed by a chair. The initial chair will be Councillor Malika Aymani of Marrakechia. The board will meet quarterly, from a month after the bill has passed, to make their decisions,? to ?Funds will be allocated by a committee of Councillors known as the European Arts Collaboration Board. The board will be organised in the standard manner for committees of Councillors.?

Article III ? Organisation of Committees

Section I

Each committee shall be led by a Director, who shall serve for a non-renewable term of six months. The Director must be a European Councillor elected by the European Council by the Alternative Vote system, with the exception of the Director of the EBCWA, who must not be a European Councillor, nor a representative of any single member-state, and shall be appointed by the Commissioner for Defence and Peacekeeping.

Section II

The electoral process for Directors shall include one week of nominations, and one week of elections. The elected Director shall take office immediately upon the conclusion of elections.

Section III

Each committee shall have four ordinary members, all European Councillors, who shall volunteer to serve a non-renewable six month term on that committee after the Director for that term takes office. In the event that more than four Councillors volunteer for a certain committee, the Director shall choose the four ordinary members.

Section IV

In the event that a seat on the committee becomes vacant, the normal process for filling that seat shall be repeated in order to fill that seat for the rest of the term.

Section V

Committees shall take decisions by a simple majority out of all five committee members, although the Director shall have veto power over any decisions taken.

Section VI

Directors may be impeached and removed from their post by a two-thirds majority of the European Council. Any Councillor may move to impeach a Director.

Section VII

Ordinary members who have been inactive or have acted inappropriately in their position may be fired from their position by the Director. However, they are free to volunteer to fill the vacancy thus created, and may be reinstated by a two-thirds majority of the European Council. Such a reinstatement will trigger a further vote on whether to impeach the Director according to the provisions of Section V.

Section VIII

No Councillor may sit on more than one committee at a time.

Article IV ? Further Responsibilities

Section I

In addition to the responsibilities outlined in previous legislation, the European Arts Collaboration Board shall be responsible for the European Heritage Site Programme.

Article V ? Implementation

Section I

This Act shall come into force immediately after its passage. The electoral process for Directors will thus begin immediately, but in the event of a clash will be delayed until after the end of the Commission and/or ECoJ electoral processes.

Section II

Upon the coming into force of this Act, the EACB and EBCWA, and no other organisation, shall be considered committees and be subject to the provisions of this Act.

Section III

In the event that an organisation that satisfies the definition of ?committee? in Article I, Section II of this Act is established after this Act comes into force, that organisation shall be subject to the provisions of this Act, unless the legislation establishing the organisation states otherwise.

Fellow Councillors,

You may or may not be aware that committee reform is a major objective of the Premier Commissioner's, and as a result of this he has passed on this Act for me to present to the Council. This reform will make our committees more accountable and less a law unto themselves, and make intolerable the sort of inactivity that we have seen all too often in the committees. It strikes a balance between pure democracy and efficient appointments, and leaves ourselves as Councillors pulling the strings at the very heart of the system. This Act, therefore, is exactly what we need to get the accountability that will breed activity.

Time extension

DEBATE starts NOW and ends at 17.30 GMT on 30 Oct 2013
    AMENDMENTS start THEN and end at 17.30 GMT on 1 Nov 2013
    VOTING starts THEN and ends at 17.30 GMT on 4 Nov 2013

• I suppose I have a few questions. First, could you clarify why you changed the responsible body for European Heritage Site Act votes from the Commission to the EACB?

Secondly, why are the terms 6 months instead of say 4 like the ECoJ and Commission? And would these elections be held immediately with the passage of this act?

Lastly, Article 3 Section VIII prohibits a Councillor from serving on more than one Committee at a time. In the past we've run into the problem of a lack of volunteers for Committees necessitating Councilors sitting on multiple committees. In the future it may also be possible to be have more Committee slots available than we have Councilors due to new legislation. Won't this provision become a problem? Instead of strictly prohibiting multiple Committee memberships wouldn't it be wise to at least allow for multiple participation if there aren't enough volunteers at the time to fill the Committee?

• group:cid:2:privileges:mods:members

I share the concerns of the ever-eloquent Dr Roebuck who rightfully points out that it is counter-productive to keep councillors to only one-committee due to the small number of active participants. I think we also need to address the structure of how these committees complete their tasks. The Constitutional and UDoHR committees, the latter which I have been chairing, have failed to complete their enormous task due to the structure creating a long and laborious process. This needs to be reviewed. Consistent committees are needed for this so their term should be as long as a task takes I guess, with a framework of tasks.

Count Kairos Jelesniak

• Councilor Jelesniak brings up the Constitution and UDoHR committees, which makes me wonder: are those committees actually subject to this legislation? These Committees were made as special task forces and not as the result of legislation so do they have to follow the same rules?

• Committees created entirely by the Council (Constitution, UDoHR) and not by legislation are not subject to the bill as written. They are free committees so to speak, the rules can be whatever they want. We do need to make a renewed push to complete these documents.

As for the actual bill, if it only affects two pieces of legislation, why not just make a double amendment to those acts? Why do we need a separate act?

Acwellan Devoy
    Speaker of the European Council
    Councillor of the Duxburian Union

• Well it's not just amending those 2 bills. It's setting a framework for the structure of future Committees formed by legislation. Whether or not you believe in the merits of that is something else entirely. It also sets a limit on how many committees a councilor can join at the moment.

• On reflection, I would be open to an amendment to remove Article III, Section VIII, or to allow Councillors to sit on two committees instead of just the one, since as it stands the section could indeed prove counter-productive. The intention was to ensure that committee members' activity is not compromised by sitting on multiple committees - but, of course, one would have to balance that against the prospect of less active Councillors sitting on a committee because the more active ones already sit on another one.

The Heritage Site responsibility right now seems like an addendum, often ignored, to the whole Commission's responsibilities. By transferring it to the EACB, it would become the responsibility of an organisation that is dedicated to funding and supporting the region's artistic and cultural heritage. And as for term lengths, I would argue that as a comparatively less important office, Director of a certain committee should not be elected as frequently as the Commission or ECoJ. Also, the first elections would take place immediately after the Commission and ECoJ elections, so as to avoid a clash.

• Can we get a debate extension by a day or two, Speaker Devoy, because I'm in the process of writing at least 1 amendment.

• 2 days granted from the original times.

DEBATE starts NOW and ends at 17.30 GMT on 30 Oct 2013
    AMENDMENTS start THEN and end at 17.30 GMT on 1 Nov 2013
    VOTING starts THEN and ends at 17.30 GMT on 4 Nov 2013

• I propose the following rewrite amendment to Article III, Section VIII:

Councillors are prohibited from sitting on more than one committee at a time if there are enough volunteers to fill the committee. In the event that there are not enough volunteers to fill all committee spots at the end of the sign up period, a Councillor already serving on a committee can volunteer for the spot. A Councillor with less committee memberships than another Councillor will always have special preference in filling a spot.

While taking away European Heritage Site voting from the Commission is stripping it of one of the more visible and legislated duties which was actually carried out fairly effectively, I suppose the EACB would be justified in having its duties. I'm not particular picky about the term lengths either.

• I will support this proposed amendment.

• I, Dr. William Roebuck, on behalf of the Confederacy of Gun-Toting Animals, vote FOR the proposed amendment.

Os Corelia supports this amendment

• I, Anatoly Keith, on behalf of the Apostolic Kingdom of Angleter, vote FOR the proposed amendment.

• I, Phaidros Drago, on behalf of the United Romulan Empire, vote FOR the proposed amendment.

• Commission

Davishire, and its territories, vote for this amendment

• ECoJ

I, Ralph Jaevons, on behalf of the Empire of Inimicus, vote FOR this amendment.

• With 6 votes FOR, 0 votes AGAINST, and no abstentions, the Amendment is passed. The final form of the bill is as follows:

Committee Reform Act

Author: Peter Montfort (Premier Commissioner)
    Presenter: Cllr. Anatoly Keith (Angleter)

Article I ? Purposes and Definitions

Section I

This Act intends to standardise and increase accountability in the organisation of Council committees.

Section II

For the purposes of this Act, we define the used terms as follows:
    COMMITTEE ? A group of predominantly Councillors established by European Union law to carry out certain executive duties.
    EBCWA ? European Biological and Chemical Weapons Authority
    EACB ? European Arts Collaboration Board

Article II ? Amendments to Existing Legislation

Section I

Article II, Section I of the European Heritage Site Act (2010) will be changed from ?Every proposal for inclusion at the list will require it to be approved by simple majority with a voting of the five members of the European Commission,? to ?Every proposal for inclusion in the list will require approval by the responsible body.?

Section II

Article II, Section I of the European Arts Collaboration Fund Act (2012) will be changed from ?Funds will be allocated by a board of councillors of the European Council. The board will have 4 councillors of cross-euro-party representation, appointed by a chair. The initial chair will be Councillor Malika Aymani of Marrakechia. The board will meet quarterly, from a month after the bill has passed, to make their decisions,? to ?Funds will be allocated by a committee of Councillors known as the European Arts Collaboration Board. The board will be organised in the standard manner for committees of Councillors.?

Article III ? Organisation of Committees

Section I

Each committee shall be led by a Director, who shall serve for a non-renewable term of six months. The Director must be a European Councillor elected by the European Council by the Alternative Vote system, with the exception of the Director of the EBCWA, who must not be a European Councillor, nor a representative of any single member-state, and shall be appointed by the Commissioner for Defence and Peacekeeping.

Section II

The electoral process for Directors shall include one week of nominations, and one week of elections. The elected Director shall take office immediately upon the conclusion of elections.

Section III

Each committee shall have four ordinary members, all European Councillors, who shall volunteer to serve a non-renewable six month term on that committee after the Director for that term takes office. In the event that more than four Councillors volunteer for a certain committee, the Director shall choose the four ordinary members.

Section IV

In the event that a seat on the committee becomes vacant, the normal process for filling that seat shall be repeated in order to fill that seat for the rest of the term.

Section V

Committees shall take decisions by a simple majority out of all five committee members, although the Director shall have veto power over any decisions taken.

Section VI

Directors may be impeached and removed from their post by a two-thirds majority of the European Council. Any Councillor may move to impeach a Director.

Section VII

Ordinary members who have been inactive or have acted inappropriately in their position may be fired from their position by the Director. However, they are free to volunteer to fill the vacancy thus created, and may be reinstated by a two-thirds majority of the European Council. Such a reinstatement will trigger a further vote on whether to impeach the Director according to the provisions of Section V.

Section VIII

No Councillor may sit on more than one committee at a time.
    Councillors are prohibited from sitting on more than one committee at a time if there are enough volunteers to fill the committee. In the event that there are not enough volunteers to fill all committee spots at the end of the sign up period, a Councillor already serving on a committee can volunteer for the spot. A Councillor with less committee memberships than another Councillor will always have special preference in filling a spot.

Article IV ? Further Responsibilities

Section I

In addition to the responsibilities outlined in previous legislation, the European Arts Collaboration Board shall be responsible for the European Heritage Site Programme.

Article V ? Implementation

Section I

This Act shall come into force immediately after its passage. The electoral process for Directors will thus begin immediately, but in the event of a clash will be delayed until after the end of the Commission and/or ECoJ electoral processes.

Section II

Upon the coming into force of this Act, the EACB and EBCWA, and no other organisation, shall be considered committees and be subject to the provisions of this Act.

Section III

In the event that an organisation that satisfies the definition of ?committee? in Article I, Section II of this Act is established after this Act comes into force, that organisation shall be subject to the provisions of this Act, unless the legislation establishing the organisation states otherwise.

Voting on the final form is open.

• ECoJ

I, Ralph Jaevons, on behalf of the Empire of Inimicus, vote FOR this Act.

On behalf of Os Corelia I vote For this act

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.