Environmental Session

• Hello everyone. As promised, we?re going to kick off our first Council discussion as a result of the survey I circulated late last month. The most popular topic that Councillors wanted to discuss was the environment. The environment is a broad topic that includes ocean protection, dealing with carbon emissions, and many other different things. There are so many different environmental issues we could choose to solve and we will try to pinpoint this during the discussion.

Now, because he mentioned addressing environmental issues were important to him in his opening statement in office, I?m going to let Internal Affairs Commissioner Dann Eriksson take the lead in the discussion. He will help moderate and guide this discussion and I will be around to do that as well. We don't know where this discussion will take us but hopefully we can come to some kind of agreement(s) whether it be through legislation or treaty.

I will let Commissioner Eriksson set out how this will all work and then we can begin.

William Roebuck
    Premier Commissioner

• Thank you, Premier Roebuck. We may come from many different political backgrounds and parties, but I hope we all want to do at least something about our shared, European environment.

I think the best way to start off would for each councillor interested in this topic to present a list of what they wish the most strongly to achieve. These are your core goals for the environment, deal breakers if not included in a bill or treaty. For example, cutting vehicular emissions by x% and by y year. If the Council were to decide on lesser numbers, you'd oppose it vigorously.

Next, a list of items you'd like to see happen, but are not entirely deal breakers. You'd be willing to compromise on these, for example, public subsidies for wind turbine installation. If other countries oppose the idea, your own government can still do it, so you wouldn't really lose out.

Finally, please include items that you absolutely do not want to see implemented. These are deal breakers if they are included. For example, purification of all river water sewage. You might not even be against the idea, perhaps just its cost or feasibility.

The more detailed the items on your agenda are, the better we will be able to group common desires into themes, which may come together to form the foundations of potential legislation or treaties. We can also eliminate items with widespread opposition, saving time and goodwill in debate.

Dann Eriksson
    Commissioner of Internal Affairs

• group:cid:2:privileges:mods:members

In terms of environment Os Corelia would like to see the following achieved:

Core Goals
    We wish to see green energy subsidies for energy companies to switch to renewable resources
    A fund for green technology development
    The return of the Ocean Protection Act
    Restrictions on waste spillage/disposal

Goals open to Negotiation
    We wish to see a 6% reduction in CO2 emissions within 20 years
    Emission trading scheme
    A given commitment to green spaces in each metropolitan area

Things we don't wish to see implemented
    Sacrificing green principles in order to profit business
    Denial of global warming when it is evident

• Core Goals
    We wish to keep the average temperature increase caused by global warming below 2 degrees Celsius (Which would require 565 gigatons of CO2) for at least the next 20 years.
    We wish to see species protection for critically endangered species.
    We wish to see increased budget for scientists - especially those working on conservation related projects.

We are open to seeing light restriction on logging and fishing.
    We are open to seeing region wide education programs on the effects of global warming.

We are not open to seeing ridiculous restrictions placed on any industrial sector.

• As I am quite an Eco-friendly and Environmentally Beautiful nation I would like countries to make a refined effort, to make sure there is limited Carbon emissions, and we should have tougher regulations and more Eco-friendly. I agree with the core goals, but I'm sure that there's always improvements. And I also agree with Os Corella.

• North Europa would like to see the following achieved:

Core Goals
    Combat climate change and increase energy security from the development of renewable sources of energy
    Fisheries Legislation
    Reduction of air pollutants using public transport and new technologies environmentally friendly

Regulations for the exploitation of forests
    Better management of metropolies wastewater

Retreats to obvious issues because personal gain

• Core goal

No shrinking of our industry!

Goal open for negonation

Regulations of cars

I'd like to echo Commissioner Dann Erikson's words and thank Premier Roebuck for opening the discussion. We have seen so many bills defeated on the Council floor in regards to the environment and it's a shame that we haven't taken steps to confront this very important issue as a region. All of our nations share one planet and one environment and it saddens me to see it in such a fragile and delicate shape. There is no question what we have to do about it and stand united and together as a region, and as a planet.

As a general state however, Inquista welcomes region-wide programs, subsidies and all green initiatives in open arms, rather than facing tough standards or "goals" put upon businesses and the government.

Core Goals:

• Protection of endangered and near-endangered species
    • Protection of National Parks and Reserves
    • Creation of "Environmental Danger Zones" where fishing, drilling and hunting will be banned. (i.e Arctic Ocean)
    • Region wide programs to cut waste (i.e European Union Recycling Program)

Goals open for negotiation:

• Through the European Patent Office or any new means, we could encourage environmentally beneficial inventions and technologies through subsidies and prizes
    • Through a European Union University wide program, we could encourage environmental research and discovery through scholarships, co-op programs and prizes
    • Ban of toxic and chemical dumping of substances into oceans, rivers, lakes and bodies of water
    • Ban of waste water from sewers entering into oceans
    • Green fuel and renewable energy subsidies

Non-negotiable:

• Restrictions placed on trade, businesses, the economy and consumers*
    • Having x amount of earth's temperature or CO2 being reduced in X amount of years or any other unclear and vague approach. We want legitimate and tangible approaches in curbing environmental destruction, not just open standards.
    • Denial of global warming

*Mostly CO2 emission restrictions and quota restrictions. Some things may be negotiable.

Edward Firoux,
    Councillor of Inquista

• Looks like this topic is getting some attention! Excellent!

I too would like to thank Premier Roebuck for opening a discussion on this important issue, which Red Croatia is willing to involve itself with. If any of you informed ourselves with our methods of work, you should know that Red Croatia has maintained 'environmental stability' by placing laws on areas like national parks and reserves, promoting recycling all over the country and protecting it's natural resources from foreign and local industriues which may harm them for their own personal achievements. Things like that have helped us keep our land at it's peak of natural beauty. However, Red Croatia is not heavily concerned by what's going on within it's borders, but fears of what is going on in other countries in Europe, which is why we have established multiple goals that we are hoping to acomplish that also concern the rest of you:

Core Goals of Red Croatia:

• Mass Co-Operation with other states of the European Union.

• Protection of National Parks and Reserves.

• Smart, but un-dominant use of renewable resources.Negotiable Goals of Red Croatia

• Restrictions on environment endangering industries.

• Ban of toxic and chemical dumping into bodies of water.Unnegotiable Goals of Red Croatia

• Exploration of theories concerning the possible Global Warning.

• Getting group mental help if we get convinced it's real, and go Inimicus style crazy.
      I apologize if this joke ends up hurting anyone.*The amount of goals is expected to rise soon thanks to the discussions concerning them going on currently in our country.

Heather Von Henderson
    Councilor of Red Croatia

• Cuxi Anyas was the next Councillor to describe her nation's hopes for future EU wide environmental legislation.

In general Nouvelle Picardie is interested in EU regulations to limit environmental harm on a regional or global scale and much less interested in legislation addressing environmental issues that occur on a small scale. We believe legislation should be scientifically based to achieve a desired outcome for environmental quality and that the costs should be fairly distributed. We are also interested in how the legislation would seek to achieve each objective and look forward to discussion on this topic.

Core Goals: Environmental legislation to protect the ozone layer, to restrict emissions of greenhouse gases to keep the global climate within a few degrees of pre-industrial conditions and to limit change in ocean pH to protect marine life, and regulation of pollutants that may be transported long distances from their source.

Goals open for negotiation: Protection of habitat especially for migratory species.

Non-negotiable: If the proposed legislation does not sufficiently address our core goals it is likely that we would not support it. If legislation on climate change is not sufficient it appears that a fair number of nations have the means to unilaterally implement a geo-engineering program which could be a problem especially if it changes local climates which are important for agriculture etc.

• Core Goals

• Preservation of natural beauty (National Parks, Endangered Species)
    • Finding a path forward for cleaner and renewable energy (research cooperation, probably done in a treaty)
    • Streamlining Recycling Processes and setting standards

**Goals open for Negotiation **

• Reduction of carbon emissions to combat effects of global warming
    • Ocean Protection Act

**Non Negotiable **

We are against any agreements that do not take into account the socio-economic repercussions of dealing with certain environmental issues. We believe that people and sometimes businesses need incentives to pursue green initiatives and a realistic view of the world and economic behavior is necessary to advance environmental causes.

• We at the United Romulan Empire feel strongly for the protection of the environment and wish to see these following things happen.

Core Goals:

• Creation of "Environmental Safe Zones" where fishing, drilling and hunting will be banned. (i.e Arctic Ocean)
    • Green fuel and renewable energy subsidies

• Through the European Patent Office or any new means, we could encourage environmentally beneficial inventions and technologies through subsidies and prizes
    • Ban of toxic and chemical dumping of substances into oceans, rivers, lakes and bodies of water
    • Ban of waste water from sewers entering into oceans

Non-negotiable:

• Restrictions placed on trade, businesses, the economy and consumers*
    • Having x amount of earth's temperature or CO2 being reduced in X amount of years or any other unclear and vague approach.

• Um...Hallo,

The Delegation of Les Repbuliux du Napue Besancon would like to present the goals that we hope to reach in due time:

Core Goals
    -A safe, and closed area where nations who use the power source can deposit nuclear waste, or research into a way of breaking apart the waste.
    -The banning of trapping in The European Union.

Goals Open for Negotiable
    -The expansion of National Parks, or Hunting-Free zones in nations of The European Union.

• So the Davishiran legislation on carbon emissions has faltered and I think it's best we table that and turn to something perhaps less controversial. Would you all like to change focus to discussing preservation type laws, such as endangered species and national parks? Those would appear to be the types of things that are most agreeable to the Councillors in this session. So I will ask what type of regulations do proponents of preservation laws wish to see implemented. And are there people who are against taking action to protect endangered species and natural landscapes that are unique to the region.

-Commissioner Roebuck

• Commission

The government of Davishire would be fully supportive of legislation which preserve the natural environment. Davishire especially would wish to see laws designed at protecting endemic plant/animals species and there habitats

• Marrakechia cares for its environment very much with the folllowing goals:

Core Goals:

• Creation of fishing zones for sealife to grow
    • Renewable energy subsidies
    • The use of solar energy to supply electricity

• Ban of toxic waste & fumes entering waters near residential areas & reservoirs
    • Ocean sealife protection treaty
    • Wildlife zones to be created for endangered animals

Non-negotiable:

• Restrictions placed on businesses that can affect the economy

• group:cid:2:privileges:mods:members

I think we should have a programme to award protection status to certain areas and to recognise. I would also like to see a treaty where nations join Os Corelia in pledging to designate a set percentage of recreational green space such as parks. This could be aside form legislation.

Count Kairos Jelesniak

• Environment is 1 of the top policies of the Marrakechian Government.
    Already we have started to implement the use of solar energy for homes and we heavily take responsibility for our National Parks such as 1 lie in the Maghreb mountains which waterfalls contain source of water and mud for medical.

We believe we should take steps of banning plastic bags as it harms animals which could make them choke and replace with fully reusable bags.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.