Bill for the Free Movement of Required Labour

• group:cid:2:privileges:mods:members

Bill for the Free Movement of Required Labour

Author and Presenter - Cllr. Kairos Jelesniak (Os Corelia)

Premise
    This bill aims to provide the easing of visa restrictions for workers, by a multi-lateral agreement, who have skills that have over-subscribed employment rates in one EU nation but are required in another EU nation.

Article I ? Free Movement of Required Labour

Section 1 ? This bill will allow free movement and deregulated residence restrictions to labourers whose skills are required by an EU nation of which an EU citizen is not a national of.

Section 2 ? This bill will also allow free passage for spouses and dependants of the skilled labourer.

Section 3 ? This bill will allow for a distribution of skill sets where required in an attempt to match the skill set of the unemployed or employed yet aspirational labourers to jobs which enable use of these skills.

Article II ? Labour Exchange

Section 1 ? To ensure the regulation or employment and the incapacity of exploitation the EU will establish a regulatory body named The Labour Exchange with whom all employers requiring skilled labour from external nations will have to register with to receive free passage for labourers. The exchange will be run by the office of the Commissioner of Internal Affairs who will preside over its running.

Section 2 ? For registration employers will be means tested to ensure that a pre-existing national could not fulfil the skillset required by a job. It will also consider a diversification of employees as a criterion for approved registration.

Section 3 ? All labourers seeking employment through the exchange will be granted the same employment benefits and rights as a labourer of the nations they are moving to, ensuring that companies cannot use this scheme to employ workers at an undercutting wage.

Section 4 ? As a public service the Labour Exchange will create a web based resource to enquire to a database of vacancies with registered employers. Applications will be able to be made through this website with an electronic standardised form. The website will also facilitate video interviews in the case of interview candidates being unable to attend in person meetings due to distance and inability to raise expenses.

Article III ? Implementation

Section 1 ? Once registered with the Labour Exchange employers will have the right to accept labourers from other EU countries without visa documents. Borders shall be presented with a proof of employment letter as right of entry for labourer and spouse/dependants upon first movement. For trips between origin state and employer state after this initial they will have a signifier of residence as concurrent with individual state law.

Section 2 ? All nations have the right to refuse labourers with detailed or pending criminal convictions or those deemed as a potential threat to national security as decided upon by the nation within which employment is sought.

Section 3 ? If any party detailed within the course of this bill does not fulfil their legislative requirements as listed in this bill they will be sanctioned through the European Court of Justice

End of Debate: Sunday March 2nd, GMT 15:06
    End of Amending: Tuesday March 4th, GMT 15:06
    End of Voting: Friday March 7th, GMT 15:06

• Commission

Overall my government tells me that it supports the principle of this bill, it will provide Davishire with access to new labour markets. However my government does feel that this bill is not compatiable with Davishire Immigration Law in its present form and believes that nations should be given the choice to opt out of this legislation.

I think that this type of legislation might be better as a treaty.

Can I ask the good Councillor for Davishire what these incompatibilities are? If they are a common shared concern of incompatibility then I am sure amendments could be made to suit it.

Today I have met with Councillor Ralph Jaevons of Inimicus in an effort to work with the UEC and presenting a bill that can satisfy their immigration qualms. As a result of our meeting I wish to table the following amendment:

Article III ? Implementation

Section 1 ? Once registered with the Labour Exchange employers will have the right to accept labourers from other EU countries without visa documents. Borders shall be presented with a proof of employment letter as right of entry for labourer and spouse/dependants upon first movement. For trips between origin state and employer state after this initial they will have a signifier of residence as concurrent with individual state law.

Section 2 ? All nations have the right to refuse labourers with detailed or pending criminal convictions or those deemed as a potential threat to national security as decided upon by the nation within which employment is sought.

Section 3 ? If any party detailed within the course of this bill does not fulfil their legislative requirements as listed in this bill they will be sanctioned through the European Court of Justice

Section 4 - Member States will retain full ownership of their own borders as this bill is not an attempt to circumvent sovereignty. The Labour Exchange will not force immigrants upon a country and this is not the intention of this service

• ECoJ

"Inimicus has nothing against immigrants, not even labour immigrants, if they come to our country to contribute and prosper. Therefore, I think the core of this legislation makes a lot of sense. It would be good for nations to co-operate on this field. But the main question I was left with after I met with the Os Corelian councillor was how the Labour Exchange is going to make sure no one misuses these new rights. I'm very happy with the amendment proposed, but I'm worried about people misusing this system to claim benefits and subsdies, which may be higher in other countries than their home nation. How does the bill handle this?"

Ralph Jaevons

Thank You Councillor Jaevons for contributing a valid concern that nations will hold in regards to this legislation. The core principle of this bill is the distribution of needed labour. Let me walk you through how it would work.

I have skills in a particular type of electrical engineering project managing that say hypothetically HypoCore a company in Inimicus needs and can't find within Inimicus. HypoCore register with the labour exchange, I find their vacancy on the labour exchange website and apply. HypoCore offer me the job and the Labour Exchange give me a letter of employment and immigration document. I move with my family to Inimicus using this document to prove our purpose in Inimicus.

You NEED proof of employment to be allowed to emigrate under this scheme. All employers are closely monitored by the Labour Exchange to ensure that no abuses of any systems such as the ones Councillor Jaevons has mentioned can occur. I feel the bill in its current state does clearly point to this and no amendment is needed. If a company abuses the scheme they will be subject to be tired by ECoJ as will the employees.

All nations retain their sovereign control of borders of course but this scheme is clearly about positive immigration to fill labour gaps and will be sealed water tight. Abuses will not be tolerated.

• Commission

This is not compatible with Davishire law in the fact that it adds controls which are already stricter than Davishire already has. Citizens of the European Union are already free to reside visa free and work within most sectors of our industry without permits and the need for a regulatory body other than Davishire's Border Agency.

I am pleased to see such progressive measures taken and indeed welcome them as a supporter of free movement. If you not, this scheme is for businesses to apply to and we all agree the facilitation of easing restrictions to accommodate it so if your nations doesn't have a company who wishes to apply then you won't get the workers, simple.

• ECoJ

"I thank the Os Corelian councillor for his answer, but I'm still left with another question, and it's about the families of these labour immigrants.
    If people come here to work and nothing more, I would not have any objections. But the families of those coming to work here need to live a proper life, too. Oftentimes, especially when children are involved, a father or mother cannot sustain their families when only one of the parents is working. How will the family then cope? By claiming benefits. I would like to know how the Labour Exchange will deal with these families, seen to the fact that one of the parents (and possibly children) will have to find jobs and a living all by themselves."

Ralph Jaevons

I think this is quite a tricky issue to navigate, mainly because I don't know all combinations of EU member states benefits systems. I feel it unreasonable for the skilled labourer moving through the exchange not be entitled for his/her family to move. Partisan lines will be drawn here yes, but this bill does not wish to second guess the benefits offered to dependants/spouses, this will be for the sovereign government to decide and would be foul play to interfere with such things. Of course if two countries wanted the same labourer and one offered benefits to family and the other didn't then I'm sure the labourer would consider this as part of their decision. There is nothing to stop more than one member of family applying through the exchange. In short the recourse is up to the sovereign governments who we would encourage to make their rules on benefits known.

• "I believe this is a laudable move insofar as it makes it much easier for nations to deal with labour shortages in certain fields. However, I believe it would be better for each nation to announce a labour shortage in a certain sector, thus allowing people in that sector to migrate to that nation through the Labour Exchange. Employers can then advertise specific jobs in that sector. For one, this leaves immigration policy firmly in the hands of the member state, and it will also encourage a focus on fixing major, nationwide labour shortages. Moreover, it will save money by not having to means test every company that registers with the Labour Exchange. To this end, I'd like to propose the following amendments - Article II, Sections 1 and 2 shall be changed to read thus:

Section 1 ? To ensure the regulation or employment and the incapacity of exploitation the EU will establish a regulatory body named The Labour Exchange with whom any member state can register a labour shortage that they intend to be filled with immigrant labour. The exchange will be run by the office of the Commissioner of Internal Affairs who will preside over its running.

Section 2 ? When a member state registers a labour shortage in a certain line of work, companies in both the public and private sectors may also register with the Labour Exchange.

And Article III, Section 1:

Section 1 ? Once registered with the Labour Exchange employers will have the right to accept labourers in the line of work for which there is a declared shortage from other EU countries without visa documents. Borders shall be presented with a proof of employment letter as right of entry for labourer and spouse/dependants upon first movement. For trips between origin state and employer state after this initial they will have a signifier of residence as concurrent with individual state law.

Debate has ended now we vote on amendments.

I vote FOR Mine and Councillor Keith's amendments

Count Jelesniak

• ECoJ

"On behalf of the Empire of Inimicus, I vote FOR both amendments, yet I am not sure yet whether or not I will vote in favour of the entire bill"

Ralph Jaevons

• I, Hugo Basescu, on behalf of the Federal Republic of Northern Caesarea, vote FOR both amendments.

• The Incorporated States of Almiro vote for both proposed amendments.

• I, Anatoly Keith, on behalf of the Apostolic Kingdom of Angleter, vote FOR both proposed amendments.

• I, Cuxi Anyas, on behalf of Nouvelle Picardie vote FOR both proposed amendments.

• Commission

Although the government has not instructed me on this matter, I do formally vote FOR BOTH AMENDMENTS on behalf of the Commonwealth of Davishire.

All tabled amendments have been passed. Now we go onot the final voting.

Os Corelia votes FOR this bill

• I, Anatoly Keith, on behalf of the Apostolic Kingdom of Angleter, vote FOR this bill.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.