Official Statement on the Issue of Western Sahara

• Commission

"Thank you all for coming,

As I am sure you are aware their has been some tension caused as a result of a land invasion of the Western Sahara by a European Union Member State. It is the view of myself that this was an illegal invasion and I call for them to withdraw their armed forces and allow the Western Sahara to return to the control of its previous owner.

I do however applaud the discussion that is currently going on between the main parties in the issue although I do feel concerned that other nations have been excluded from getting involved. This issue has the strength to affect the whole region.

I encourage all parties to ensure that this issue does not turn violent and look forward to seeing the results from this."

• Commission

user posted image
    user posted image
    Official Statement on the Issue of Western Sahara

"I would like to say how pleased I am with the progress made by the Conference of London over the past week, I feel that a major crisis has been averted. However it is not yet over.

As I understand it the Delegation from Great Britain and Ireland has proposed a treaty which should be signed in order to gain a compromise on a referendum. I feel that it is important that this treaty is signed and that all of the nations involved in the dicussion sign it.

However despite this success I think it is most strange that the European Commission has not been involved in this process. As Commissioner for Internal Affairs I did ask for a message to be delivedered to the conference but this was ignored. I feel that in the future the Commission should either be more involved in the process of diplomacy or European Nations should seek to replace the commission.

I do hope that the planned referendum goes on in a peaceful way without rigging however I do hope that these events do not occur in a similar way in the future."

• Commission

user posted image
    user posted image

Statement on Recent Referendum Results

"I would like to say how pleasing it is to see people determine their own future in a free and democratic way.

Recently the people of the Western Sahara which last month was occupied by a foreign military force has voted to become an independent country.

I am concerned that the continued presence of foreign military forces in the area could have swayed the vote by the citizens of Western Sahara.

I am calling for a public statement by the independent observers from the United Republic to confirm that no harassment of campaigners or voters took place and that the vote was truly free and fair.

I am not disputing that the results are correct, I am just concerned about the possibility of the foreign troops in the region influencing the voters."

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.