European Healthcare Accreditation Act

• Proposed by Eloise Murray, Councillor of Miraco

PREAMBLE
    Noting that there is no entity responsible for the accreditation of healthcare standards in the European Union, this bill hereby creates, establishes, and sets the rules for the European Healthcare Accreditation Committee (EHAC)

Article I: Creation of the European Healthcare Accreditation Committee

Sec 1: Hereby, we officially establish the European Healthcare Accreditation Committee as the official committee responsible for accrediting healthcare institutions and healthcare professionals.

Sec 2: The European Healthcare Accreditation Committee shall be separate in function and governance from this Council or any legislative body of the European Union and its members shall not be appointed or removed from office by this Council or its predecessor.

Article II: Purposes of the European Healthcare Accreditation Committee

Sec 1: The European Healthcare Accreditation Committee (hereafter referred to as "EHAC") shall be in charge of setting the standards regarding medical education and practice.

Sec 2: The EHAC shall be in charge of ensuring that accredited practitioners and institutions remain up to the specified standards and that the quality of healthcare received by patients is equivalent to that received by any accredited entity.

Sec 3: The EHAC shall ensure that medical education received in any accredited institution is up to the specified standards and that thus practitioners with certified credentials are able to work throughout the European Union.

Sec 4: The EHAC must revoke accreditation should the entity in question fail to perform up to the standards set.

Sec 5: The EHAC shall be responsible for accrediting foreign credentials for foreign healthcare practitioners wishing to seek employment within the EU.

Sec 6: The EHAC wishes to further enhance cooperation throughout the European Union as well as ensuring geographical mobility for EU residents working in the healthcare industry.

Article III: Organisation of the EHAC

Sec 1: The President of the European Healthcare Accreditation Committee shall serve as the head of the committee and shall be its chief executive. He shall be able to make executive decisions to execute orders given by the EHAC Board of Directors but he may not issue new policies, change set procedure, or modify any part of the EHAC without direct approval of the Board of Directors.

Sec 2: The President of the ECB shall be a learned official who has sufficient experience in the fields of medicine and education and can be a current member of the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors have the ability to revoke the President's role should they see him/her unfit to perform his/her duties

Sec 3: Should the European Council deem a member of the Board of Directors to be unfit to continue in his/her duties, they may remove him/her with a 2/3 majority vote.

Sec 4: The EHAC may receive money from the European Budget to maintain its facilities and the European Board may not require any favours from the EBC in return for the money.

Sec 5: The EHAC may receive money from the European Board to maintain its facilities and the European Board may not require any favours from the EBC in return for the money.

Sec 6: The EHAC shall establish its own headquarters.

Sec 7: These rules may be amended any time only by joint approval of the EHAC Board of Directors AND the European Council.

• QUOTE (Miraco @ May 30th, 2014 - 13:56)

its members shall not be appointed or removed from office by this Council or its predecessor.

This removes it too far from the council's control for my taste. What happens if the Board of Directors is found to be corrupt?

• Mass Effect RP

This proposal certainly has merit. I congratulate the councillor from Miraco for presenting such a well thought out and presented bill, despite his nation's relatively recent entry into the Union.

Perhaps my colleague from TerraMortem has a point. I would argue that the European Council should be able, following a simple vote, to remove members of the Board of Directors. As the learned Councillor says, what if members of the Board of Directors are exposed as corrupt? I would say that a majority of 75% in favour of dismissal would be appropriate, but I would be interested to hear the opinions of other councillors before an amendment is drafted.

I would also ask for clarification from the bills presenter regarding Article III, Section 4. What does the term "European Board" refer to? The European Council? The Commission? Or simply the Board of Directors?

Also,

Debate Ends: 14:56 GMT 1/6/14
    Voting on Amendments Ends: 14:56 GMT 3/6/14
    Final Voting Ends: 14:56 GMT 6/6/14

• This is a great proposal, but I'd support changes where they are voted for. Where do you propose the EHAC headquarters are? I think they shouldn't be in one country, maybe Europolis?

• In response to the concerns raised, the councillor of Miraco would like to address the following points:

In response to the councillor of Halsberg, the term European Board was used by mistake and was instead meant to be the European Council.

The councillor of Miraco recognises the concerns raised by our fellow councillors regarding Article I, Section 2 "and its members shall not be appointed or removed from office by this Council or its predecessor." and would like to express our openness towards any amendments put forth by our fellow councillors.

Finally in response the councillor of Icholasen, we propose it be headquartered in Europolis.

• QUOTE (Halsberg @ May 30th, 2014 - 18:31)

I would say that a majority of 75% in favour of dismissal would be appropriate...

I think 3/4 is a quite a lot, I was thinking something closer to a 2/3 majority.

• Commission

Having studies your proposal the Government of Davishire does not see this proposal as compatible with the current situation in Davishire. Our nation already has a scheme of similar make and we feel that a European wide scheme would cause this to be redundant.

• "The idea has great merit, but I believe this best serves as an optional treaty for those that wish to take part, my main reasoning for this is nation's who have higher education, equipment, and regulation standards then would be set by this Board of Directors. For example in Altha it is law that to practice medicine in Altha you must have gone to an Althan medical school due to the very very tough medical studies and skills set by law. This act would override that law which was set near the beginning of our nation thousand of years ago! Why should we throw it away for lower standards, it allows a bypass of the law, it is unfair to my constituents who feel safe with the laws at hand and feel threatened by this act in regards to their safety.

Secondly, this board of directors seems to have the ability to keep their distance from the Council without much worry. This Board of Directors is nearly set equal to the Council, and the council would near unanimity in order to deal with this Board. As the Councillor of Terramortem said 3/4 is too much, I would prefer normal council voting set at 55%.

Lastly, the act gives too much representation, it allows for a possible corrupt businessman who could do some insider trading of sorts, and it would be near impossible to set any regulations if we had a director for each member state!"

Anatolius Eustorgios

• Mass Effect RP

I wouldn't say that the act overrides any national legislation that Altha may have, Councillor. In my view, it seems only to strengthen it and indeed provide a scheme by which care facilities can be judged across Europe. If it would allay your fears, perhaps you should propose an amendment which outlines specifically that the act in no way prevent member states from continuing with their own accreditation scheme, which may be more or less stringent.

Very well, perhaps the 3/4 majority I originally offered is too excessive. I would say, though, that the simple 55% of regular council business is too small a majority for removing a member from his post. Shall we compromise and agree to Councillor Cain's figure of 2/3?

I also thank Miraco's councillor for clarifing his use of language in the bill.

• I disagree Councillor, this act would allow someone from a Halsberg medical school to work within Altha's hospitals provided his medical school follow the most likely lower standards of this EU wide regulations. As shown in Article Two, Section 3 this wouldn't be fair to Althan doctors who trained and worked harder to the more harsh standards. If I were to propose some an amendment it may very well just defeat the purpose of the bill at hand.

• Mass Effect RP

I will quickly propose a series of amendments. My first involves Article I, Section 2.

Sec 2: The European Healthcare Accreditation Committee shall be separate in function and governance from this Council or any legislative body of the European Union and its members shall not be appointed or removed from office by this Council or its predecessor.

Addressing the concerns of TerraMortem's Councillor Cain, I propose my second amendment:

Article III: Organisation of the EHAC

Sec 1: The President of the European Healthcare Accreditation Committee shall serve as the head of the committee and shall be its chief executive. He shall be able to make executive decisions to execute orders given by the EHAC Board of Directors but he may not issue new policies, change set procedure, or modify any part of the EHAC without direct approval of the Board of Directors.

Sec 2: The President of the ECB shall be a learned official who has sufficient experience in the fields of medicine and education and can be a current member of the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors have the ability to revoke the President's role should they see him/her unfit to perform his/her duties

Sec 3: Should the European Council deem a member of the Board of Directors to be unfit to continue in his/her duties, they may remove him/her with a 2/3 majority vote.

Sec 4: The Board of Directors shall consist of representatives from various member nations and the healthcare care industry.

Sec 5: The EHAC may receive money from the European Board to maintain its facilities and the European Board may not require any favours from the EBC in return for the money.

Sec 6: The EHAC shall establish its own headquarters.

Sec 7: These rules may be amended any time only by joint approval of the EHAC Board of Directors AND the European Council.

My third is a mostly housekeeping one centred around Article III, Section 4.

Sec 4: The EHAC may receive money from the European Budget to maintain its facilities and the European Board may not require any favours from the EBC in return for the money.

• Mass Effect RP

The debate phase has ended. We now move to the voting on amendments phase. We have three amendments to vote on:

1. My own amendment to Article I, Section 2.
    2. My own amendment to Article III.
    3. My own amendment to Article III, Section 4.

Voting on amendments will cease at 14:56 GMT 3/6/14

• Acting Speaker John Walters

• I, Eloise Murray, on behalf of the Constitutional Monarchy of Miraco vote FOR all the proposed amendments.

• I, in the name of the Imperial Territory of Terra Mortem vote For the amendments proposed by the Councillor from Harlsberg.

I, Edward Firoux, on behalf of the Microstate of Inquista, vote FOR all amendments.

• Mass Effect RP

I, John Walters, on behalf of the Twelve Commonwealths of Halsberg, vote FOR all amendments.

• Mass Effect RP

Voting on the final bill is now open.

I, John Walters, on behalf of The Twelve Commonwealths of Halsberg, vote FOR the bill.

• I, Eloise Murray, on behalf of The Constitutional Monarchy of Miraco, vote FOR the bill.

• The Duxburian Union finds that Article III, Section 7 is unconstitutional. The European Council is the "sole and supreme" decision-making body and always has the power to amend its own legislation as it sees fit. It cannot be constrained to require joint approval from an agency. However, it is too late to change that uncaught error, so

I, Acwellan Devoy, on behalf of the Duxburian Union, ABSTAIN from voting.

• Commission

On behalf of the Government of the Commonwealth of Davishire I vote against this bill.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.