Mobile Communications and Roaming Rates Act

• group:cid:2:privileges:mods:members

Mobile Communications and Roaming Rates Act

Presented by: Count Kairos Jelesniak (Os Corelia) & Ralph Jaevons (Inimicus)

Article 1: Purpose and Definitions

Section 1
    This bill aims to introduce a region-wide system of price rates for mobile phone use and data roaming to protect the consumer when travelling abroad.

Section 2
    For the purposes of this act, we define the following terms as:
    (i) Phone Call: an audio communication or conversation by use of a telephonedevice
    (ii) SMS Message: Short Message Service (SMS) is a text messaging service component of phone, Web, or mobile communication systems. It uses standardized communications protocols to allow fixed line or mobile phone devices to exchange short text messages.
    (iii) Data Roaming: Data roaming is when your phone connects to the Internet when you're out and about to keep certain applications up-to-date or provide access to some of your apps.
    (iv) Phone Operators: The service provider companies who provide network coverage to enable phone calls, SMS messaging and data roaming

Article 2: Phone Use

Section 1
    Phone calls will be capped within EU nations so operators can only charge a maximum of ?0.19 per minute for outgoing calls and a maximum of ?0.05 per minute for incoming calls

Section 2
    SMS messaging will be capped within EU nations so operators can only charge a maximum of ?0.06 per outgoing SMS message and no cost to receiving incoming SMS messages

Section 3
    Mobile Phones can connect and access call and SMS services when out of the country they were purchased in

Section 4
    A default notification SMS will be sent to customer informing them of call and SMS prices when connecting to phone networks outside of their country

Article 3: Data roaming

Section 1
    Operators can only charge up to ?0.20 a megabyte, plus VAT for mobile downloads and internet surfing when connecting to phone networks outside of their country

Section 2
    Mobile Phones can access roaming services when out of the country they were purchased in

Section 3
    A default notification SMS will be sent to customer informing them of roaming prices when connecting to phone networks outside of their country

Article 4: Enforcement

Section I
    Member states have six months to bring all laws into harmony of this act, any nation which does not harmonize this act into national law may be tried in the European Court of Justice appropriately

• Commission

Davishire supports this bill however we do propose the following amendments as requested by the mobile network providers in Davishire

_First Proposed amendment to Article 2 Section 2. Increase price per outgoing SMS message to ?0.10 and cost to recieve incoming messages to ?0.05

"Section 2
    SMS messaging will be capped within EU nations so operators can only charge a maximum of ?0.10 per outgoing SMS message and ?0.05 to receive incoming SMS messages"

Second proposed amendment to Article 3 Section 1

"Operators can only charge up to ?0.20 a megabytefor the first 50 megabytes and then up to ?0.50 for every megabyte over that, plus VAT for mobile downloads and internet surfing when connecting to phone networks outside of their country"
    _

• Miraco fully supports this bill, we have already regulated roaming rates in Miraco and are glad to see possible regulation throughout the EU.

In regards to the amendment why should people have to pay to receive SMS message that is ludacris!The rates are fair an based on accessibility and affordability. The consumer needs to be considered first and foremost.

• QUOTE (Davishire @ September 9th, 2014 - 10:00)

_First Proposed amendment to Article 2 Section 2. Increase price per outgoing SMS message to ?0.10 and cost to recieve incoming messages to ?0.05

"Section 2
    SMS messaging will be capped within EU nations so operators can only charge a maximum of ?0.10 per outgoing SMS message and ?0.05 to receive incoming SMS messages"

_

Even tough I hate to admit it, my collegue of Davishire has a point, we do not charge consumers for incoming calls or texts, we will not support this bill until this has been changed.

• While in support of the act, the Prussian government will some time to consider its final vote.

• ECoJ

I cannot support the Davishirian councillor's amendment. The entire point of this bill is to protect tourists and other travellers abroad from exessively high phone and roaming rates. His amendment would trample over this goal completely. We have to ensure these rates remain low to encourage travelling and ensure phone operators cannot charge travellers extremely high tariffs.

Ralph Jaevons

• Angleter cannot offer its support to this bill. Not only does it introduce the worst kind of dirigiste price controls where there is no real need for them, especially not at a European level, but it does so in a one size fits all manner. Different countries have different costs of living, and more specifically, their mobile phone companies have different costs and different sources of profit according to the specific circumstances of that country. But this proposal imposes one cap for every company, every country. It doesn't even distinguish between landline and mobile, between contract and PAYG.

This is the fundamental flaw with European legislation trying to reach into what are ultimately national issues - there is a clear case for discussing international roaming charges, since that's a cross-border affair, and for looking at standardising practices. But this bill goes well beyond what this chamber should even be discussing.

While I'm at it, we ought to start voting on the amendments from Cllr. Heaven. Voting starts now and ends at 17.40 GMT on 15th September. Then we vote on the final form of the bill from then until 17.40 GMT on 18th September.

• I vote AYE to both Cllr. Heaven's amendments.

• ECoJ

I vote NO on the Davishirian councillor's amendments.

Ralph Jaevons

• Commission

On behalf of the Commonwealth of Davishire, I Nicola Heaven, vote for both of the amendments

On behalf of the Microstate of Inquista, I vote AGAINST Councillor Heaven's amendments.

• administrators

I vote AGAINST both proposed amendments.

• I, Manfred Schnoor, on behalf of the Imperial Prussian State vote AGAINST both proposed amendments.

• I vote for this amedment

• I, Stanislas Kamerewski, on behalf of the Polish Republic, vote AGAINST both proposed amendments.

Os Corelia votes Against all amendments

With 3 votes FOR and 6 votes AGAINST COuncillor Heavans amendments are NOT attached to the Mobile Communications and Roaming Act and now we proceed ot the voting stage we vote on the final form of the bill (which stands unchanged) from now until 17.40 GMT on 18th September.

I will open the voting on the floor by voting FOR the Mobile Communications and Roaming Rates Act on behalf of Os Corelia

• I, Manfred Schnoor, on behalf of the Imperial Prussian State regretfully vote AGAINST this act.

• I, Dion Clermont, on behalf of Miraco vote FOR this act.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.