European Seed Trust Act

• **_

European Seed Trust Act_**
    Authored by Manfred Schnoor

Article I: Purposes and Definitions

Section I:
    This act serves to help protect the biodiversity of the planet by the collection of seeds through the European Union. These seeds shall be taken to ?seed banks? established throughout the European Union. This shall be accomplished through the European Seed Trust.

Section II:
    For the purposes of this act we define the following terms as follows;

(i) Seed: a flowering plant's unit of reproduction, capable of developing into another such plant.

(ii) Seed Bank: An area which is suited to the categorizing, storage, research, and most importantly preservation of seeds

Article II: European Seed Trust

Section I:
    This act shall establish the European Seed Trust, which shall work in conjuncture of National Seed Banks or similar projects, and the European Commission.

Section II:
    The European Seed Trust shall be administered by a Director who shall be appointed by the Commissioner of Internal Affairs for two year terms.
    (i) The European Seed Trust Director shall be an established scientist in the field of biology, ecology, or botany; who shall put aside corporate, national, and political affiliations in pursuit of this act.

Section III:
    The European Seed Trust Director shall work with National Seed Banks, or similar projects in order to retrieve seeds in order to store in the three seed banks established in this Act. The Director shall also ask for the donations from member states, organizations, corporations etc. if the provided funds from the European Budget are surpassed.

Section IV:
    The European Seed Trust shall make yearly reports on their progress to the Internal Affairs office, which shall be published for the public?s viewing. In this report the Director shall also request the expected funds for the next year.

Section V:
    This act shall set aside 100 million Euros for the European Seed Trust in its first year of operation.

Article III: European Seed Banks

Section I:
    This act shall establish seed banks in the following nations: Europolis, Poland-Lithuania, and Os Corelia.

Section II:
    These banks shall be run by the European Seed Trust, but are still subject to the national jurisdictions as that of Embassies of a nation.

Section III:
    These banks shall have room for at least half of the known plant species on this planet as of September 2014, they may continue to increase size if needed.

Section IV:
    These banks shall on an individual basis provide worthy applicants the chance to borrow seeds for research purposes. Each bank shall set a fine for such research on their own merit.

Section V:
    These banks shall set up the necessary conditions that the European Seed Trust and Scientific Community find exceptional for the storage and preservation of the seeds.

Article IV: Afterthoughts

Section I:
    This act encourages member states to set up seed banks either by the public sector or incentives in the private sector. It also encourages these seed banks or similar projects to donate and help the European Seed Trust in its mission to preserve plant species for future use and generations.

Debate Phase Until: September 23rd 16:37 GMT
    Amendments Phase Until: September 25th 16:37 GMT
    Voting Until: September 28th 16:37 GMT

• group:cid:2:privileges:mods:members

This act is a great idea and Os Corelia supports the preservation and future thinking provided.

• Marrakechia fully support this act

I strongly support any initiative that increases the protection of our world's natural beauty and biodiversity. While this act will have little to no direct effect on Inquista, the environment and the plants outside of our borders do. And for that, I'd like to see this bill get passed.

My main problem with this act is that Article III; Section I it outlines that seed banks must be established in Europolis, Poland-Lithuania and Os Corelia. While I strongly agree that one should be constructed in Os Corelia, I am not so sure about the other two. We do not have the authority to force to the government of Europolis to build its own seed bank for our purpose, nor am I sure if we have the spatial capacity to build our own seed bank on the land the Free Duchy has provided give us. Even if we do have enough space on our plot here in in Europolis, I'd rather it be used for more administrative purposes. My objection to Poland-Lithuania is that it is still a new nation in the EU, and in the grand scheme of things, and I'd prefer have these seed banks in nations that have been in the EU for a very long time and will continue to remain in the EU for a very long time. I don't want one of our 3 main seed banks disappearing. I do not mean no offend the Polish-Lithuaanian government at all, but we need to take pragmatic measures to make sure we maintain as many of these banks as possible.

I propose that Angleter and Halsberg join Os Corelia as the nations that house these seed banks. Once Angleter and Halsberg agree, then we should put forward an amendment to change that.

• Poland-Lithuania supports this bill.

However, Poland must comment on the proposed amendment by the Inquistan councillor and ask that he put aside ideas of elitism through length of membership. Poland does take offence to his comments.

• On part of the empire of groot-belgie may I inquire on what basis the countries were chosen to hold the a so called "seed bank"?

• Mass Effect RP

We're flattered to have been suggested as a choice by Councillor Firoux. Of course, we'd be willing to accept one of these seed banks within our borders, should the need arise. Elsewhere in the bill, I see many good points and would support the legislation as is. Its a good bill and a rare show of forward thinking by this Council.

Also, to answer my colleague from Groot Belgie's question, Councillor Firoux's thinking behind his suggestions was length of EU membership, including looking ahead to the future. He feels that the seed banks should be within member states who are likely to remain within the union for a considerable period of time, as opposed to one that would leave after only a short while within our organisation.
    John Walters

• administrators

While I'm strongly for most of the text of this act, which gives an answer to a very important question which is the threat of deforestation and extinction of vegetal species, I think Article 3, section 1 creates an unnecessary limitation to the creation of seed banks. Therefore, I'll be submiting an ammendment to that section.

Aurora D?hler

• Northern Caesarea fully supports this proposal, except the article III section I which is too restrictive. Our government would be interested in opening a branch of the seed bank in our nation, with a special section covering Southern Europe endemic species.

Gabriela Esp?nosa
    European Council Delegate

• The act encourages member states to open national banks and does not restrict them to just seeds of that nation. Now I understand the calls of these bank lists are too restrictive, but this is to set a limited on the amount of finanicial strain on the European seed trust. Now I would be open to amendment which limits it at three banks but requires an application to be approved by the director of the European Seed Banks, but seeing how the time for debate is nearing its end I will propose a few amendments.

Amendment 1:

Section I:
    This act shall establish seed banks in the following nations: Halsberg, Angleter, and Os Corelia.

Amendment 2:

Section I:
    This act shall establish the main seed banks in the following nations: Halsberg, Angleter, and Os Corelia. Though four regional offices shall be constructed in nations that apply to be regional banks.

Amendment 3:

Section I:
    This act shall establish seed banks in nations which apply to the European Seed Trust to be Union Seed Banks, they will apply to the Director of the European Seed Trust, and as such are approved by him/her.?There will always be a maximum limit of three Union Seed Banks, but regional based ones shall not be limited at this time.

Os Corelia supports Amendment 3

• Sorry for the lateness in this, we have three amendments all proposed by me. You have until the 25th to vote, remember vote early!

Amendment 1:

Section I:
    This act shall establish seed banks in the following nations: Halsberg, Angleter, and Os Corelia.

Amendment 2:

Section I:
    This act shall establish the main seed banks in the following nations: Halsberg, Angleter, and Os Corelia. Though four regional offices shall be constructed in nations that apply to be regional banks.

Amendment 3:

Section I:
    This act shall establish seed banks in nations which apply to the European Seed Trust to be Union Seed Banks, they will apply to the Director of the European Seed Trust, and as such are approved by him/her.?There will always be a maximum limit of three Union Seed Banks, but regional based ones shall not be limited at this time.

I,Manfred Schnoor, on behalf of the Imperial Prussian State do abstain on all proposed amendments.

Os Corelia votes FOR Amendment 3 and Abstains on amendments one and two.

• groot-belgie abstains from this amedments

• administrators

I, Aurora D?hler. vote FOR amendment n?3.

I, Edward Firoux, on the behalf of the Microstate of Inquista, vote FOR ALL amendments.

• I, Peter Montfort, vote FOR Amendment No.3; and AGAINST Amendments No. 1 and No. 2.

• I, Gabriela Espinosa, on behalf of the Federal Republic of Northern Caesarea, vote FOR amendment n?3.

• I, Stanislas Kamerewski, on behalf of the Federal Republic of Poland-Lithuania ABSTAIN from amendments 1 and 2, and FOR amendment no. 3.

• Amendment 1: 1 vote For, 1 vote Against, 4 Abstainations: Amendment failed
    Amendment 2: 1 vote For, 1 Vote Against, 4 abstainations: Amendment Failed
    Amendment 3: 6 votes For, 0 votes Against, 2 abstainations: Amendment Passed

Article I: Purposes and Definitions

Section I:
    This act serves to help protect the biodiversity of the planet by the collection of seeds through the European Union. These seeds shall be taken to ?seed banks? established throughout the European Union. This shall be accomplished through the European Seed Trust.

Section II:
    For the purposes of this act we define the following terms as follows;

(i) Seed: a flowering plant's unit of reproduction, capable of developing into another such plant.

(ii) Seed Bank: An area which is suited to the categorizing, storage, research, and most importantly preservation of seeds

Article II: European Seed Trust

Section I:
    This act shall establish the European Seed Trust, which shall work in conjuncture of National Seed Banks or similar projects, and the European Commission.

Section II:
    The European Seed Trust shall be administered by a Director who shall be appointed by the Commissioner of Internal Affairs for two year terms.
    (i) The European Seed Trust Director shall be an established scientist in the field of biology, ecology, or botany; who shall put aside corporate, national, and political affiliations in pursuit of this act.

Section III:
    The European Seed Trust Director shall work with National Seed Banks, or similar projects in order to retrieve seeds in order to store in the three seed banks established in this Act. The Director shall also ask for the donations from member states, organizations, corporations etc. if the provided funds from the European Budget are surpassed.

Section IV:
    The European Seed Trust shall make yearly reports on their progress to the Internal Affairs office, which shall be published for the public?s viewing. In this report the Director shall also request the expected funds for the next year.

Section V:
    This act shall set aside 100 million Euros for the European Seed Trust in its first year of operation.

Article III: European Seed Banks

Section I:
    This act shall establish seed banks in nations which apply to the European Seed Trust to be Union Seed Banks, they will apply to the Director of the European Seed Trust, and as such are approved by him/her. There will always be a maximum limit of three Union Seed Banks, but regional based ones shall not be limited at this time.

Section II:
    These banks shall be run by the European Seed Trust, but are still subject to the national jurisdictions as that of Embassies of a nation.

Section III:
    These banks shall have room for at least half of the known plant species on this planet as of September 2014, they may continue to increase size if needed.

Section IV:
    These banks shall on an individual basis provide worthy applicants the chance to borrow seeds for research purposes. Each bank shall set a fine for such research on their own merit.

Section V:
    These banks shall set up the necessary conditions that the European Seed Trust and Scientific Community find exceptional for the storage and preservation of the seeds.

Article IV: Afterthoughts

Section I:
    This act encourages member states to set up seed banks either by the public sector or incentives in the private sector. It also encourages these seed banks or similar projects to donate and help the European Seed Trust in its mission to preserve plant species for future use and generations.

Voting is now open.

I, Manfred Schnoor, on behalf of the Imperial Prussian State vote FOR the European Seed Trust Act.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.