The Warsaw Concerto, Part II

• October 12, 2014
    Presidential Palace
    Warsaw, Poland-Lithuania

The President prepared for yet another visit from a Davishire head of government, but this time she hoped it would be different as both leaders are products of election and have a chance to start anew. She looked outside and saw the first few flakes of snow of the year in Warsaw begin to fall. The temperature was hovering around the freezing mark, so it wasn't going to stay on the ground more than a glistening coat.

"Madame President," said Mr. Syzmanowski, her Secretary of Interior Affairs, once again flanked by Mrs. Benedycta Gulczynska. The two have become her most trusted cabinet members, and she sought their council on nearly every issue. This one would be no different, particularly when it felt like (to Karolina), the world was on fire.

"Ian...Benedycta...I'm glad you're here. My aides just put your findings on my desk, and I just started to read them. So Davishire and Groot Belgie can't stay off of each others' necks, can they?" President Kligenberg said.

"No, they can't. I just got off the phone with Secretary Kaczmarek and he can confirm that with the amount of turmoil in northern Europe, they could send our neighbouring economies and eventually are own into a situation that will send the entire portion of Europe backwards," Mr. Syzmanowski interjected.

"This has become a very expensive period of turmoil for northern Europe," Mrs. Gulczynska replied. "If you stress that, Davishire will most likely see reason to restrain itself."

The President waited for Prime Minister Cameron to arrive in Warsaw.

• David Cameron was sat on his plane reviewing some papers on the affairs of state. More specifically papers written by the former Liberal Party leader. They certainly were not something that he wanted the Polish President to read. Before landing he placed them through the shredder. Mr Cameron wanted to make a fresh start in Polish-Davishire relations.
    He stepped off the plane and got into the waiting car. En-route to the Predidential Palace the Prime Minister wondered if Davishire and Poland would ever be allied. Recent action taken by Davishire would make things difficult but he was hopeful.

Upon arrival at the Presidential Palace he was welcomed by the President.

"Hello,Madame President. It is good to finally meet you in person."

• "Good evening Prime Minister Cameron. I wish that our meeting would be on friendlier terms, but I do have an invitation to have you for dinner and an orchestral concert at the National Theatre later. Allow me to introduce Secretary Gulczynska, she is our foreign affairs cabinet minister, and Secretary Syzmanowski, our internal affairs secretary. Secretary Kaczmarek will be in later with commerce," the President said to PM Cameron.

She sized up the situation quickly. There was something a little untrustworthy about PM Cameron, but she thought it would be for the best to ignore that for now just for the sake of diplomacy.

"I've brought you in, as you can imagine, because the world is on fire. Many of our nations in the European Union are in conflict, preparing for conflict, or are stepping out of conflict. Davishire in the past has been a severe catalyst for these actions, and I would like to try and develop better relations with our monarchical neighbours, being a former monarch myself.

"We would like to discuss your government's penchant for acting unilaterally to threats and how it affects everyone else around you. But before we discuss that, is it possible for you to explain the actions of the Government of Davishire in regards to shooting down the satellite from Groot Belgie?"

• "Firstly I would like to say that it was not my government which shot down the satellite. The orders were given 4 hours before I became Prime Minister. Although I must as Prime Minister answer to the consequences. I was speaking to the foermer Prime Minister who gave the instructions and he said that he felt that Groot Belgie posed a true threat to Davishires security and despite a warning Groot Belgie continued with its launch. I suspect that had Groot Belgie waited for relations to improve the situation would have been different"

• "But here's what you have done by doing that: you have set a rather dangerous precedent for any European nation to do that to another. What exactly gave you cause to shoot down the satellite anyway? Was it going to attack you from space? The Belgians had every right to send a satellite into space without you shooting it down. What you have done is further alienate Groot Belgie, and given any rogue nation in Europe the audacity to shoot down any satellite the so choose.

"I find it irresponsible on both parties, but especially yours, as you have much more to lose in a situation with a potentially rogue nation."

• "I accept what you are saying however my answer to your concerns is that I was not Prime Minister when the missiles were fired. If you want answers as to why the missiles were fired you would need to ask Steve Mannion not myself"

• "That's an absurd way to try and evade questions. Any government will be able to research and look into their predecessor's actions, launch an investigation, etc. You probably know why right now and are unwilling to tell me, which casts Davishire in even greater isolation from Poland.

"Right now, we and the rest of the European Union do not view you as trust worthy in the slightest. I am going to need some kind of hard fact answers before we can get any closer.

"The other reason I brought you hear is because I wonder if you realize the economic implications of your actions in Groot Belgie, and the inability of your governments to come to a lasting agreement for more than a month. The market isn't looking good for northern Europe, not with Bulgaria, you, Groot Belgie, and economic stagnation in other nations. Poland and Prussia are the only two really advancing as they should. Everyone else seems to be mired in conflict. Can we somehow help you resolve your differences with the Belgians so we can move forward?"

• " Ok you are right, I have looked into the papers on the incident and as far as I am aware Mannion fired the missile for two reasons, the first because he felt threatened by Groot Belgie. He wants to work with Groot Belgie but felt that this was a provocation. If you can launch a satellite you can easily develop those rockets into missiles. And with already strained relations it was more likely that Davishire could have been a target. The shooting down of the satellite as far as I am aware was to send a message to Groot Belgie as well as I suspect the region that Davishire is fully prepared to stand up and defend itself. Although admittedly shooting the satellite was probably not the way to go about it. Second reason is that Mannion has said that should the military satellite have been launched it would be shot down and this was publicised. If he had not fired that then people would have had justification to ignore him. However it turns out that those final instructions cost him his job, he would still be Prime Minister rather than acting deputy if he had not fired that satellite"

The Prime Minister took a sip of water,

"I fo fully understand the implication that recent events and sanctions that come along with that have had on the economy. Davishire is currently stagnant in that regard. Which is why my government wants to improve relations between our two countries as well as other EU member states to bring about trade and investment in eachother.

On the issue of Groot Belgie, I suspect that we would be able to overcome our difference between eachother in the long run. My predecessor effectively ruined any chance of a good relationship in the shorter term. I would however like to see Davishire and Poland work together for eachothers benefit to prove to Groot Belgie as well as the rest of the EU that we are not as crazy as people claim. Davishire is going to change under my administration but I hope people realise it may take some time."

• "That is all well and good, but the steps you need to take are with Groot Belgie first before I can commit to Poland's greater cooperation with Davishire. I hope you understand my trepidation. I would like to invite the two of you to come to Poland so we can iron out our differences and move forward. I think that would be in the best interest of Europe."

• "I fully understand and accept that Davishire needs to resolve our differences with Groot Belgie and I understand and accept your concern. Should the situation be the other way around I suspect that I would probably feel the same way. And I can say personally that I would be fully prepared to work with you in improving relations between Groot Belgie and Davishire."

• "Then can we agree to meet with the Belgians in Europolis and work this all out? If I can get an agreement to this, then I can move on to a different topic."

• "I see no reason why not to agree therefore I must agree. I fully agree that we need to get this sorted. Currently there are high level ministerial level talks taking place in Europolis however I feel that all 3 leaders getting together is a good idea"

• "Well, I have intelligence via my good friend Commissioner Lithuania that it's not going so well in Europolis just the two of you. Maybe you need a moderator to help with your differences."

• "I would not disagree what you are saying. A third party may be a useful element in our discussions. I would like to think that yourself, the emperor of belgium and myself would be able to have grown up conversations"

• "Alright, then shall we? I can't imagine me coming up with any agreements with either of you until the matter is settled, but I am willing to send Mrs. Gulczynska to moderate. She is a very even keeled person."

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.