Proposed Amendment to the Constitution

• Councillors,I would like to place the following proposal to the house.

Proposed 3rd Amendement to the EU Constitution

In order for the European Economics Commission and the new European Finance Agency to conduct their work in an efficient and productive way I do formally propose that the following amendment be made to the European Constitution.
    I propose that Article XVII section 2 as detailed here,

2. The aforementioned duties of the Office of Economics will be managed by the European Central Bank, under the guidance of the European Commissioner for
    Economics

be replaced by the following

2. The duties of the Office of Economics will be managed and conducted by the European Finance Agency under the guidance of the European Commissioner for Economics

This proposed amendment removes the need for a European Central bank and allows the infrastructure already in place to conduct its work.
    Because this is an amendment to the constitution a 70% supermajority shall be required.

Debate starts now and ends in 48 hours time ending at 23:30GMT on 1st January 2015
    We will then Vote on any proposed amendments for a further period of 48 hours,
    We will then vote on the final proposal for a period of 72 hours,
    If no amendments are formally proposed then we shall move to final voting after the debate stage.

• Admin

((OOC: I'm certain there's been at least one amendment, or amendment package, other than the two listed on the Constitution page.))

"In principle, I support this. I do have a problem, however, with the wording. 'The duties of the Office of Economics will be managed and conducted by the European Finance Agency under the guidance of the European Commissioner for Economics' suggests that the EFA will carry out the entire of the Economics Commission's remit, thus making the EFA leader, namely Cllr. Pickles, the de facto Economics Commissioner, and the real Economics Commissioner a vaguely-defined guiding position. That doesn't sound right to me. Could Cllr. Pickles please clarify?"

• Mr Pickles looked suprised, this is something that he hadn't thought of,

"I can say that was not something which I have foreseen. Perhaps the wording could be changed. We could changed under the "guidance" to being under the "control" of the Commissioner for Economics.

What you have suggested is something that I most certainly do not want.

But I would also like to note that I have merely changed the wording, although it does mean that the EFA does have additional work through the managing of the regions finances. However the structure of the EFA is one that requires the Finance Officers to work with the Commissioner for Economics"

• "I'd like to request what the Commissioner for Economics said when you asked him about this issue, assuming that you did Councillor?"

James Tournay

• " I did not ask the comissioner, for this is an act of the council and not the commission. I am merely updating the constitution to fit current infrastructure and legislation"

• I would like to ask Councillor Pickles if he were to establish what duties would be carried out by the European Finance Agency that the Office of Economics currently manages.

Would it be managing the region's private finances or the region's public finances?

Would it want to manage the single currency that we offer named the euro?

Is it going to try and influence national monetary policy through suggestions, benefits, etc.?

Those kinds of questions would help me understand the full purpose of the European Finance Agency vs. the Office of Economics.

Lech Kaczynski
    c/o Stanislas Kamerewski

• "I will treat this as seperate questions,

1-The duties of the European Finance Agency are as set out in Article 4 of the European Finance Agency Act 2014.

2-The EFA only manages the regions membership contributions, and as a result public finances.

3- The EFA does not manage the Euro, this is separate from the commission in all forms.

4- Please refer to article 4.2.2 of the European Finance Agency Act 2014 and also 6.1 of the European FInance Agency Act 2014

The purpose of this legislation is to merely bring the constitution up to date with what exists."

• Actually, I propose an amendment to my amendments , haha,

I propose that my replacement wording be changed from this

2. The duties of the Office of Economics will be managed and conducted by the European Finance Agency under the guidance of the European Commissioner for Economics

to the following

2. The duties of the Office of Economics will be managed and conducted by the European Finance Agency (within the restrictions of the European Finance Act 2014) and the European Commissioner for Economics

• However, Cllr. Pickles, when the constitution states:

CODE

The Office of Economics is headed by the European Commissioner for Economics, and is responsible for the stability and circulation of the European Union?s official currency, the euro, as well as the stabilisation of markets and prevention of economic crises in the event of shortages from one or more mass required products, such as fuel, electricity, etc; the management of the economics of the European Union, involving all the budgets of all institutions; and the handing-out of loans to members of the European Union as decided by the entire European Commission using democratic processes.

It says that the euro and relating fiscal policy to the euro is the responsibility of the Economics Commissioner.

And Dr. Michael Reed of the United Kingdom created the Euro 16 index when he was the Commissioner for Economics.

If the constitution is to be considered the supreme law of the Union, then the treaty made by the nations of Occoron and Kryuland was unconstitutional to begin with, as it was not presided over by the Commissioner for Economics.

So this is a valid concern. So the question still remains, will the EFA tackle this with the Commissioner for Economics, as the euro monetary policy falls under the provisions in the constitution as responsibility for the stability and circulation of the European Union's official currency.

• "It was just that I wanted to clarify that, as some may believe that you were acting on behald of the Office and the Commissioner due to the role you hold."

• "I understand, apologies, please in the future, unless I state so please take my presence in the council chamber as me in my role as Councillor for Davishire"

• "OK, it is time to vote on the amendment for the amendment, ha, sorry, tabled by myself as follows,

Amendment 1- Change the amendment from

to

2. The duties of the Office of Economics will be managed and conducted by the European Finance Agency (within the restrictions of the European Finance Act 2014) and the European Commissioner for Economics

Voting lasts for 48 hours and as such ends at 23:30 GMT on the 3rd January 2015.

On behalf of the Commonwealth of Davishire I vote FOR this amendment

• group:cid:2:privileges:mods:members

Os Corelia has confidence in the constitution committee to resolve these issues so that irrelevant constitutional like this isn't needed. Can I ask the speaker to clarify if this vote means we couldn't vote on a new constitution for a set period of time?

Os Corelia votes AGAINST all amendments.

• Admin

Yes, the original constitution may only be amended once every 2 months.

I, Acwellan Devoy, on behalf of the Duxburian Union, vote FOR Councillor Pickles' amendment on the amendment.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.