Repeal: Nuclear Weapons Act

• Mass Effect RP

I hereby present this proposal for the repeal of the Nuclear Weapons Act of 2015. It is clear that in the 5 months since its original passage in this Chamber, no progress towards disarmament has been achieved. Indeed, the prospect of a nuclear free Europe seems even further away than it was prior to the Act.

The nuclear states in the EU, including my own, feel that the Act was imposed upon them by nations which have no idea of the complexity and the delicate nature of the disarmament procedure. Indeed, other non-nuclear states share this view. It is important to understand that support for this repeal does not equate to opposition to disarmament, in fact it means the opposite. All nuclear states support at the very least a reduction in the amount of nuclear weapons in the region, and have committed in the past and will no doubt do so again to work towards this goal. The repeal of this Act is therefore only the removal of an obstacle towards that principle.

I therefore propose the repeal of the Nuclear Weapons Act. The full document as passed is below:

Nuclear Weapons Act
    Authored by Commissioner JennaMarelle Johnson, Councillor Edward Firoux, Presented by Councillor Edward Firoux

An act for the purpose of phasing out the development, construction and transfer of nuclear weapons. This act does not prohibit the storage or use of nuclear weapons of existing member states, but shall prohibit the storage, acquisition of nuclear weapons of member states joining or re-joining the EU.

Section I: Definition
    1. For the purposes of this Act, "Nuclear Weapons" are defined as:"Harmful munitions or devices whose destructive potential derives from the release of energy that accompanies the splitting or combining of atomic nuclei."

Section II: General Obligations
    I. Each member state must refrain from:
    A. The development, production, sale, or transfer of nuclear weapons.
    B. The launch, deployment, or use of nuclear weapons for any purpose
    II. Each member state shall freeze any and all nuclear weapon production and development, in any place under its jurisdiction or control, in accordance to the provisions in this Act.
    III. Production facilities may be destroyed or re-purposed for any other legal use, at the discretion of the member state.
    IV. The member state shall cease all construction of new nuclear weapons facilities located in any place under its jurisdiction or control, except facilities required for storage or destruction.
    V. Member states shall allow inspection of their nuclear weapons production and development facilities, in accordance with the provisions of this Act.
    VI. Member states may not join or re-join the European Union unless they have already decommissioned or destroyed all biological, chemical or nuclear weapons under their jurisdiction.

Section III: European Biological, Chemical and Nuclear Weapons Authority (EBCNWA)
    I. An inspection agency known as the European Biological, Chemical and Nuclear Weapons Authority (EBCNWA), shall be established to monitor compliance of the Biological Weapons Act, the Chemical Weapons Act of 2006 and the Nuclear Weapons Act. The EBCNWA functions as an expansion of the European Biological and Chemical Weapons Authority and replaces it.
    II. The European Biological, Chemical and Nuclear weapons Authority shall conduct inspections of Biological and Chemical weapon production, storage, and destruction facilities.
    III.A. The European Biological, Chemical and Nuclear weapons Authority shall conduct inspections of Nuclear weapon production and development facilities.
    B. The European Biological, Chemical and Nuclear weapons Authority shall conduct inspections of Nuclear weapon production, storage and destruction facilities of nations joining or re-joining the European Union.
    IV. The European Biological, Chemical and Nuclear Weapons Authority shall set reasonable, standardized procedures for the safe decommission and destruction of chemical and biological weapons and applicable facilities.
    V. The European Commissioner of Defense shall appoint a Director for the European Biological, Chemical and Nuclear Weapons Authority.
    VI. The Director shall not be officially associated with, or represent, any state or government.
    VII. The European Biological, Chemical and Nuclear Weapons Authority shall determine whether a member state is in compliance with the provisions of this Act, the Biological Weapons Act and the Chemical Weapons Act of 2006.

Section IV: Non-Compliance
    I. The director of the European Biological and Chemical Weapons Authority shall be responsible for bringing cases of non-compliance to the European Council or European Court of Justice, when applicable.
    II. A. A member state deemed to be in Non-compliance may settle the claim in the European Council.
    B. If no settlement can be reached, the director of the European Biological, Chemical and Nuclear Weapons Authority may take the claim to the European Court of Justice.
    III. The European Court of Justice shall have original jurisdiction to try cases of non-compliance with the provisions of this Act.
    IV. If a member state is found to have been in non-compliance with this act, and had used biological, chemical or nuclear weapons for any purpose, then the said member state may be permanently expelled from the European Union at the discretion of the European Court of Justice.

Debate begins now and ends at 21:05 GMT 20/10/15

Voting on any amendments ends at 21:05 GMT 22/10/15

Final voting ends at 21:05 GMT 25/10/15

Speaker John Walters

• Commission

I applaud my Halsbergian colleague. He represents the British view on the situation rather well.

Rushanara Ali

Councillor for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

• I wish to commend the Speaker's intention with this Act, it is sufficiently evident that throughout the time this bill was enacted that it has done nothing to help the cause of disarmament. It is further evident that the nuclear states felt disenfranchised as a result of this act and repealing it will re-open dialogue between our nations. The delegation of Miraco is in support of this bill.

Eloise Murray

Councillor for the Constitutional Monarchy of Miraco

• "THANK CHRIST!"

Peter Montfort

• "As a principal exporter in the region of Uranium, the Federated States of the Weissian Isles, support this repeal that was voted in by non-nuclear states against all nuclear states. A true example of tyranny by majority. We hope others will follow in creating a more sincere and bipartisan atmosphere in regards to this very delicate issue."

Willem Rillay

Councillor for the Federated States of the Weissian Isles

First Key Government

• "I thank the Halsbergian for this wonderful repealment. Myself and Doctor Whiteford believe the bill was in the right intention, but it very unfortunately failed to bring about change, if this is repealed, then we will be able to move forward. I am proud to be making strides in this, unlike my predecessor."

Duchess of Saint Pierre, Councillor Poppy Carlton-Romanov the Third.

• ECoJ

"I side against my colleagues here, yes little may have been done - however it's intentions were just as we can agree - I would like to suggest a clause in the repeal that requires new legislation covering nuclear disarmament in the meantime - the arguments in favour of this are many so I feel I do not need to go into them for my fellow councillors"

- Councillor James Tournay

• ECoJ

My predecessor voted in favour of the original Act. However as many have said already, it does not appear that the passage of the Act has made the Region any safer. I feel that better option would have been to seek legislation enforcing the non-proliferation of these weapons by disallowing Nations that do not have Nuclear weapons from obtaining them and insisting that Nations joining the Region are nuclear free.

Finally, I must commend Councillor Rillay on his excellent description of democracy as the "tyranny of the majority". I shall make sure that I remind Councillor Rillay of this description should Framptonia ever find itself on the losing side of legislation voted for by the Weiss Isles!

Miss Stephanie Hughes - EU Councillor

• Mass Effect RP

Debate has now closed. As there were no proposed amendments, we move straight to the final voting for the repeal. This ends at 21:05 GMT 23/10/15.

I, John Walters, on behalf of the Twelve Commonwealths of Halsberg, vote FOR the repeal of the Nuclear Weapons Act.

• I, Duchess of Saint Pierre, Councillor Poppy Carlton-Romanov the Third, on behalf of the United Kingdom of Icholasen, vote FOR the repeal of the Nuclear Weapons Act.

• I, Willem Rillay, on behalf of the Federated States of the Weissian Isles, vote FOR the repeal of the Nuclear Weapons Act.

• With many debates, the United Kingdom of Kalmar votes FOR CONDITIONALLY. This condition states that if there is a better and more effective situation to help prevent nuclear weapons from not being in use and above all disarmed, then we shall vote for the appeal.

• I, Eloise Murray, on behalf of the Constitutional Monarchy of Miraco, vote FOR the repeal of the Nuclear Weapons Act.

• I, Acwellan Devoy, on behalf of the Duxburian Union, vote [b]FOR[/b] the repeal of the Nuclear Weapons Act.

• Commission

I, Rushanara Ali, on behalf of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, vote FOR the repeal of the Nuclear Weapons Act.

• I, Peter Montfort, on behalf of the Apostolic Kingdom of Angleter, vote FOR this repeal.

• Mass Effect RP

"Unfortunately the Kalmarian Councilor's vote won't be counted as it currently stands. Valid votes are either For, Against or Abstain on the current motion. Subsequent legislation on the issue is of no relevance. If the Councillor wishes to amend his vote to reflect this I'll allow him to do so."

Speaker John Walters

• ECoJ

I, James Tournay, European Councillor for the Second Constitutional Monarchy of Poretos, vote AGAINST the repeal of the Nuclear Weapons Act

• ECoJ

Framptonia votes FOR the motion

• Mass Effect RP

"Voting on the repeal has now closed. With 8 votes in favor and 1 against, the Nuclear Weapons Act is hereby repealed."

With that, the Speaker pressed a few buttons on his desk, leading to the sound of Katy Perry's Firework to boom across the Council chamber in celebration.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.