EuroParty Reform (MKII)

• It is time to address the issues we face together. EuroParties need reform. Any member of the European Union can submit their idea for reforming the EuroParties. It should be in articled format (the same as Bills on the council) for the utility of proposing and voting amendments. And, if it gets through, to the Council where, if it passes with a super majority, it will go onto the constitution and be law.

The timescale is as follows:

18:25 PM GMT, 15.11.15: Reform Proposal Stage Opens.

18:25 PM GMT, 15.12.15: Reform Proposal Stage Closes, Discussion & Amendments stage Opens.

18:25 PM GMT, 15.01.16: Discussion & Amendments stage Closes, Amendments Voting Opens.

18:25 PM GMT, 22.01.16: Amendments Voting Closes, Voting on the Proposals Opens.

18:25 PM GMT, 29.01.16: Voting on the Proposals Closes. The reform is chosen and put into place via the Council to be voted on and debated further (if needed).

If you don't submit and you want to, there won't be delays, waiting, or anything of the sort. If it is not in, it's not in, and you will have to deal with that.

Pre-decided Voting Options:

1. Status Quo.
    2. Scrap the EuroParty System.

- Dr. Eilidh Whiteford

• Admin

European Council Political Groups Act

Authored by: Cllr. Gisela Stuart

Article I – Definitions

• For the purposes of this Act, ‘Europarties’ are defined as region-wide alliances of national political parties

Article II – Political Groups

• European Councillors are hereby allowed to form, disband, join, and leave official Political Groups based on a common ideological affinity
    • These Political Groups are funded by the European Council and will operate under the jurisdiction of the Speaker’s Office
    • These Political Groups are established to serve as a means by which like-minded Councillors can formulate ideas, and rally support for, or opposition to, proposals
    • In addition to activity related to the European Council, Political Groups may endorse, and campaign for, current candidates in elections to the European Commission, or in national elections to the European Council
    • This Act does not impinge upon the right of member-states to appoint or dismiss their Councillor as they see fit; nor their right to direct or act upon their Councillor’s votes, speech, or Political Group membership in the European Council

Article III – Membership of Political Groups

• Membership of Political Groups is restricted to individual European Councillors
    • Associate Membership is restricted to European Commissioners, and current candidates in elections to the European Commission or in national elections to the European Council
    • Associate Members may not vote on the Political Group’s internal decisions
    • No Councillor may be a member of more than one Political Group at a time
    • No Commissioner or candidate may be an Associate Member of more than one Political Group at a time

Article IV – Organisation of Political Groups

• Each Political Group must have a Chairman, who must themselves be a European Councillor
    • Political Groups are free to decide for themselves the specific terms of the Chairman’s election or appointment, term in office, and oversight from the Political Group’s membership
    • In the event of a Chairman’s resignation or removal from office, the Political Group must elect or appoint a new Chairman within fourteen days
      • Political Groups are free to elect or appoint a member to serve as Chairman in such circumstances before such an event occurs
    • A Chairman may be removed from office by the Speaker if they leave the European Council, or if the Speaker deems them to have been neglecting their duties as a Councillor and/or as Chairman
      • The European Council may, by a supermajority vote, overrule the removal of a Chairman on the grounds of their neglecting their position
    • Political Groups may take internal decisions either by an executive decision of the Chairman, or by a majority vote of its members, or both; and are under no obligation to use the same system in all circumstances
      • Political Groups must decide by majority vote within a month of their foundation which system they will use in which circumstances

Article V – Establishing and Dissolving Political Groups

• Any and all applications to establish a Political Group are subject to the approval of the Speaker of the European Council
    • Applications to establish a Political Group must include the following to be considered for approval:
      • A name for the Political Group;
      • The names of three or more European Councillors founding the Political Group, including a designated Chairman;
      • A short summary of the common ideological basis of the Political Group
    • Councillors are obliged to inform the Speaker and the Political Groups involved if they are joining or leaving the Council, or if they are switching from one Political Group to another
    • The Speaker is obliged to dissolve a Political Group in the following events:
      • The Political Group is reduced to fewer than three members and does not resolve this situation within fourteen days;
      • The Political Group’s Chairman, with the consent of a majority of its membership, requests its dissolution;
      • The Political Group fails to fulfil the duties laid out in Article IV.iii or Article IV.v.a
      • The Political Group is found guilty by the European Court of Justice of breaking the terms of the Constitution, or this or any other Act

Article VI – Implications for Europarties

• The European Council, and in particular the Speaker’s Office, ceases to recognise Europarties, and any and all Councillors’ identifying with them
    • Europarties are encouraged to dissolve themselves and, where possible, convert themselves into Political Groups

• The Government of Framptonia will instruct its Councillor to abstain or vote against any legislation coming before the European Council regarding Eurooarty Reform unless the legislation is for the abolition of the Europarty system.

The European Council is a effectively Council of Governments, with each Government having one vote irrespective of the relative size of the nation. The Council is not a Parliament with multiple members from any nation, elected by the people and representative of the people's views through the ballot box.

Framptonia's Councillor will vote on matters in the Council according to how they affect Framptonia and reflect the views of the Framptonian Government.

The reason that the current Europarty System has fallen into disuse is because it is irrelevant in a quasi democratic body such as the Council. Reforming the Europarty won't make it any more relevant. If the European Union wants a relevant Europarty system to operate, it needs to adopt a fully democratic Parliament that would replace many of the functions of the Council.

• "I'd like to remind my Framptonian colleague that the discussion and amendments phase has not yet begun." - Eilidh Whiteford.

• "The submission period is now terminated. Now is the chance to discuss the proposition proposed by Councillor Gisela Stuart, and to propose any amendments to the Proposition, and discuss the possibility of disbanding Europarties, or keeping the status quo." - Eilidh Whiteford.

• The Government of Framptonia's position remains unchanged since my earlier comment. I apologise for commenting on a consultation prior to comments being allowed.

Miss Stephanie Hughes - EU Councillor

• "The discussion stage is now also terminated. Since there was 1 proposal, we enter the amendment phase." - EW.

• Mod

Err, Premier Whiteford, I believe that the amendment proposing stage has just ended, and seeing as none were proposed, we should automatically skip to the voting stage, no?

• "Indeed you are right. Premier Whiteford has clearly had a bit too much wine

We now go onto to voting round, rather, the 3 options are Angleter's proposal, get rid of Europarties, or keep the status quo." - EW

• I, and the people of Poretos, feel we might as well give the Europarties a chance and hereby vote for Angleter's proposal.

• Having attempted Europarty reform in the previous commission terms, Inimicus wholeheartedly and with full conviction votes for Angleter's proposal. However, I feel I should add that Europarty reform can only happen if nations actually make valuable contributions. Member states keep criticising the Commission for not doing enough; now, the Premier has actually proposed reforms and discussions about every major European institution, and now almost no input is given. In fairness, it reeks of hypocrisy.

Ralph Jaevons

• Mod

On behalf of the Microstate of Inquista, I vote FOR Councillor Stuart's proposal.

• Admin

On behalf of the Constitional Monarchy of Miraco, I vote FOR Councillor Stuart's proposal.

• "Thanks Ralph." Eilidh Whiteford said.

• Mod

I, Acwellan Devoy, on behalf of the Duxburian Union, vote [b]FOR[/b] Councillor Stuart's proposal.

• Admin

I, Gisela Stuart, on behalf of the Apostolic Kingdom of Angleter, vote FOR my proposal.

• I, John Walters, vote FOR Cllr. Stuart's proposal.

• On behalf of the Federation of Fremet, I vote FOR Councillor Stuart's proposal.

• Councillor Stuart's proposal will be entered to be made law as it received 7 votes to 0.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.