The Golden Horn

• Prime Minister Chamber, Topkapi Palace - Constantinople, Aleutian Empire

[center][/center]

Adela Marcellus Regnard looks out of the window of her chamber, watching the sun descends behind the minarets of the Church of the Holy Wisdom. This is her favorite scene in the whole world. Everyday, regardless of how busy her work is as the Prime Minister of the newly united empire, Adela Regnard would spend at least thirty minutes of her busy day watching the last rays of the sun hugging the ancient city before the light of modern civilization starts shining.

Adela Regnard is a proud and noble woman, and a fierce patriot who would stop at nothing to defend the integrity and dignity of her empire. Five years ago, as a junior Senator from the Theme of Opsicium, she had to witnessed the fall of the Second Aleutian State and the collapse of the House of Bourbon - of which Regnard is a member - as the nation descended into chaos and warfare among several fractions. Over the past five years, the Iron Maiden of Nicea, as she is known by both her supporters and enemies, has been working without rest to unite the empire. Adela Regnard managed to form an alliance with the Orthodox Greeks and the Islamic Turks of the Empire leading to the defeat of both the fascists and the communists, who had held tremendous power in the empire since the last days of the Bourbon dynasty. As a compromise with the Orthodox community, Regnard elevated an obscure prince of the ancient house of Palaiologos to be the first Emperor of the new empire. But every Aleutian knows true power lies in the hand of the Lady of Nicea.

Now with the Empire united, Adela Regnard had thought she had wiped out all threats to its existence. But she has soon been proven wrong. This time however, threats don't come from an internal factor. The new threat is the aggression exhibited by several European states as the central, united, harmonious governing body in Europolis has proven once again its inability to resolve crises involving one of its more powerful member.

Here she is again, Adela Regnard resorts to her best weapon in the time of crisis: alliances. Aleutia is a rich and powerful nation, but it is neither the richest nor the strongest. Alone, it will not stand against aggression imposed by one of its more powerful neighbors, but with its allies, Aleutia will become a force to be reckoned with in the Union.

Archbishop Craticus stared intensley out of the limousine window. He carefully studied the orange and yellow vista that painted the sky above Constantinople. The view above the stunningly ancient city reminded him a lot of Saint Dominico. Craticus found himself to be quite homesick, as his state visits abroad had taken him away from his country for some time now. The view not only reminded him of Inquista, but also of Red Croatia, which naturally turned Craticus' thoughts to Queen Aleksandra. Craticus' lonesome daydreaming quickly crashed to an end, as Brad the Intern, in usually style, brought him back to reality.

"Your Holiness, you haven't been listening", Brad the Intern said rather impatiently. Brad would never normally speak to the Archbishop with such a tone, and never with such forward language, but he found himself to be comfortable in his position now, after working with the Archbishop so closely in the past year.

"Yes, of course", Craticus replied, now with full attention.

"You will find the full briefing and dossier here", Brad said, handing Craticus a large folder.

Craticus examined the contents of the folder at a brisk pace, barely reading any of it. He mostly read it in order to appease the constantly anxious intern of his. Craticus always just sort of just attended these sort of conferences with his own accord and vision in his mind. He did, however, pay special attention to the provided factbook that outlined the Empire of Aleutia. "I can't believe I haven't had time to visit Aleutia yet. They are neighbours to Inquista, and are an Orthodox country no less... it will be good to have like-minded partners right by our side."

"The similarities between our countries are actually quite remarkable, Your Holiness."

"Forming strong bonds with Aleutia will not only be key in securing and protecting our countries, but also our cultures and values."

"Do not forget Your Holiness, that representatives of Angleter will also be in attendance."

"Ah of course. It's strange how Inquistan-Angleteric relations were virtually minimal until just recently. Now I've seen enough of Prime Minister Courtenay to last a life time."

"Ooh. What's he like? I meant to ask after your meeting with the G6."

"He's better than I expected. He smells like an alcoholic, and has the personality of a five-time war veteran. I'm still hoping for his coalition to fall apart, however. Mr. Isla and his Citizen Alliance need to make a move sooner than later if they truly have any ambitions for sole incumbency. Speaking of like minded partners, they'd be right up our alley."

"Your alley? You mean the company of Marine Le Pen, Rob Ford, Emperor Artabanos and the rest of your populist clique?" Brad whispered, muttering to himself. It seemed like Craticus was able to hear it, as he smirked and returned his attension back to view outside of his window.

"Ah look, we've arrived", Craticus said with a satisfied sigh. He opened the door from the limousine and stepped outside.

• ((OOC: Sorry about the delay - been busy and the forums, of course, have been down whenever I've been free.))

Prime Minister Sam Courtenay looked through his papers as he was driven through Constantinople. "Georgina, I need the economic statistics for Aleutia."

"Georgina."

"Georgi- oh, you're looking outside." Courtenay tapped the aide on the shoulder. She turned around, flustered.

"Oh, sorry, sir. What did you want? The economic stats for Inquista?"

"Aleutia."

"Ah, sorry. They're right here." She passed the paper to the Prime Minister.

"Lovely city, isn't it? You know, when the Crusaders - the original ones, obviously - reached Constantinople on their way to the Levant, to what would become Angleter, they always used to comment on how much bigger everything was. They'd seen cities in the Latin West, of course - Venice, especially - but everything was always so much grander."

"I didn't know that, sir."

"Well, now you do. Are we close yet? I need a-"

"We're just pulling in now," Georgina interrupted, loudly. "See, there's Topkapı just there."

"Ah, thank God." The car pulled up and Courtenay emerged, glancing at the sheet of economic statistics, followed by Georgina.

• ((OOC: no worries. Real life has been kicking my ass too))

[center]
    [/center]

Regnard glanced at her watch then at the scene outside her window again. Seventy two powerful floodlights are now illuminating the ancient basilica as the sun has receded behind the seven hills of New Rome. Then there are three knocks on her door.

"Come in," says Regnard.

"Ma'am the Archbishop and the Prime Minister of Angleter have arrived."

"Excellent. Please let them in," Regnard quickly stands up from her desk, with the rest of her staff, she walks toward the door to welcome the leaders of the two other ancient states in Europe.

"Welcome to Aleutia, Archbishop and Prime Minister, I hope you have enjoyed your ride through our city. Please make yourself comfortable."

((OOC: gonna skip these formal greetings and welcoming))

As the three delegates have settled in their seats around the rectangular table in conference hall. Regnard begins

"As you are well aware gentlemen, the Union has endured several violent events in such or short span of time recently. First there was the blockade and bombardment of Teutonic States and the collapse of that nation. Then war spread to Stonekorg and Kalmar. Then a bomb detonated in Bogthorpe killing dozens of Framptonians and foreigners alike. One cannot be too cautious when one lives in a time like this. Therefore the Government of Aleutia would like to formally propose a mutual defense pact with our neightbor, Inquista, and our friends from the East, Angleter."

"Thank you very much, Prime Minister Regnard", Craticus said whilst taking a seat. "The latest transgressions in the region have indeed been less than amicable. Matters of security have become of greater interest recently, and have now certainly come to the forefront of Inquistan foreign policy. While I am keen for Inquista to work closely with both Aleutia and Angleter on that matter, I am slightly cautious about accepting such an alliance. What terms do you propose under this mutual defence pact?"

• "I'd agree with Archbishop Craticus. Though Angleter wouldn't see any reason to oppose a defence pact in principle, we'd like to hear about the terms of this proposal first."

• OOC: I apologize for the super delay in response for this topic. Real life got in the way >.<

IC:

"Your Eminence Archbishop Craticus and Prime Minister Courtenay, here is the draft of the treaty that we are proposing, please take as much time as you need to study our proposal.

Mutual Defense Treaty Among the Empire of Aleutia, the Microstate of Inquista, and the Apostolic Kingdom of Angleter

The Parties to this Treaty,

Reaffirming their desire to live in peace with all peoples and an governments, and desiring to strengthen the fabric of peace in the European Continent,

Desiring to declare publicly and formally their common determination to defend themselves against external armed attack so that no potential aggressor could be under the illusion that either of them stands alone in Europe,

Desiring further to strengthen their efforts for collective defense for the preservation of peace and security pending the development of a more comprehensive and effective system of regional security in Europe,

Have agreed as follows:

ARTICLE I

The Parties undertake to settle any international disputes in which they may be involved by peaceful means in such a manner that international peace and security and justice are not endangered and to refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force in any manner inconsistent with the Purposes of the United Nations and the European Union, or obligations assumed by any Party toward the United Nations and the European Union.

ARTICLE II

The Parties will consult together whenever, in the opinion of either of them, the political independence or security of any of the Parties is threatened by external armed attack. Separately and jointly, by self help and mutual aid, the Parties will maintain and develop appropriate means to deter armed attack and will take suitable measures in consultation and agreement to implement this Treaty and to further its purposes.

ARTICLE III

Each Party recognizes that an armed attack in the European area on either of the Parties in territories now under their respective administrative control, or hereafter recognized by one of the Parties as lawfully brought under the administrative control of the other, would be dangerous to its own peace and safety and declares that it would act to meet the common danger in accordance with its constitutional processes.

ARTICLE IV

This Treaty shall be ratified by the Empire of Aleutia, the Microstate of Inquista, and the Apostolic Kingdom of Angleter in accordance with their respective constitutional processes and will come into force when instruments of ratification thereof have been exchanged by them at Constantinople.

ARTICLE V

This Treaty shall remain in force indefinitely. Either Party may terminate it one year after notice has been given to the other Party.

((OOC: No worries, welcome back!))

Craticus nodded in agreement. "I find your proposal to be quite agreeable, although it's a bit wordy and it includes the United Nations - an organization that I don't believe exists in our realm. I hereby propose the following amended version."

ARTICLE I

The Parties shall settle any international disputes in which they may be involved with in such a manner that does not compromise international order and security. The Parties shall refrain from the threat or use of force that is inconsistent with the purposes of the European Union, its Constitution and the Universal Decleration of Human Rights.

ARTICLE II

The Parties shall consult together whenever, in the opinion of either of them, the security and independence of any of the Parties that is threatened by external armed attack. Separately and jointly, by self help and mutual aid, the Parties will maintain and develop appropriate means to deter armed attack and will take suitable measures in consultation and agreement to implement this Treaty.

ARTICLE III

Each Party recognizes that an armed attack in the European area on either of the Parties in territories now under their respective administrative control, or hereafter recognized by one of the Parties as lawfully brought under the administrative control of the other, would be dangerous to its own peace and safety and declares that it would act to meet the common danger in accordance with its constitutional processes.

ARTICLE IV

This Treaty shall be ratified by the Empire of Aleutia, the Microstate of Inquista, and the Apostolic Kingdom of Angleter in accordance with their respective constitutional processes and will come into force when instruments of ratification thereof have been exchanged by them at Constantinople.

ARTICLE V

This Treaty shall remain in force indefinitely. Either Party may terminate it one month after notice has been given to the other Parties.

• "Excellent, Archbishop. Now should we hear from the gentleman from @Angleter? Should the legislative bodies of our three countries ratify this treaty, I would be more than happy to announce the birth of this Tripartite Alliance to the whole Union."

• The amended version is fully agreeable to us, and I'll happily put my signature to it.

"Then, it seems, we have come to a unanimous agreement."

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.