To the Land Down Under - Davishire and Australia Summit

• 30 December 2015

Government House, Sydney

The former Crown Residence in Australia, now turned over to the Commonwealth, shone brightly in the Australian sun. It was a big meeting on the agenda of Prime Minister Turnbull's Government. The LDP had been running things in Australia for three years, and now heading into its fourth, it wanted to branch out into the European community. The Prime Minister told his Foreign Minister that this was a crucial meeting. If they can work with Davishire and get onside there, perhaps they can be instruments of peace in Europe. It had been a time of great turmoil in the North, and in the warm and sunny South, stability has run supreme. Even Australia's motherland, the United Kingdom, had two PM changes and a general election which saw the long ruling Labour Party deposed for the Conservatives.

Mr. Turnbull just got onto the phone with Foreign Minister Julie Bishop. These two were the founding members of the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), looking for a progressive alternative in the social politics of Australia, finding the Liberals going too far to the right as they looked to solidify their coalition with the National Party, a truly hard-line conservative party.

"Jules!" said Mr. Turnbull over the phone.

"Malcolm, I just got here from the airport. Good lord. Are you absolutely sure you couldn't give the Premier of New South Wales what he wants and widen the M1 by two lanes on each side, and build that NorthConnex as well? The Eastern Distributor was absolutely jam packed. Goodness me. There are some things that the states cannot do on their own..." Mrs. Bishop started, slightly exasperated as her Commonwealth car made it all the way to Government House.

"Cut the shit, Julie. Now, you've been briefed on Davishire, right?"

"Yeah, they're more disorganised than the ALP (Australian Labor Party). Mannion, Brown, Cameron a couple of times, Abbott, Osborne, Thatcher...they've had quite a few PM's in a short amount of time. Must have taken a page out of Kevin and Julia's book."

"What else? What can we do with trade, investment, and the like?"

"Probably a lot. They've been sanctioned to death by several important economies in Europe. Right now, their largest trade partner is the United Kingdom by default, and it's a little bit more tepid than it should be. We could probably fill a void with our resources mining and natural gas. Educational services sector as well."

"Anything else?"

"I'd have to see when they got here. Which might take them a while. I mean, honestly Malcolm it's two lanes on a highway!"

"Fine, fine...we'll exempt infrastructure projects from competitive federalism. Jesus, if Julia and Warren get a hold of this information and eat us alive at Question Time, I swear..."

"Thank you dear. Ta ta!"

Julie grinned as she primped herself in the reflection of a vase in Government House. She looked out the window, and saw a couple of kangaroos lounging on the lawn.

"How in the hell did those get there? We're in the middle of Sydney for God's sake," Julie thought out loud. "Kathy, can you get the groundskeeper to get those kangaroos to go away."

"He has the day off today, ma'am," the voice of Kathy, caretaker of Government House, echoed back in a loud, Bogan tone.

Julie could do nothing but roll her eyes.

• Mrs Thatcher was in an official car driving towards the former royal residence. The traffic wasn't best but luckily the motorcycle outriders got the car through in almost no time at all. Mrs Thatcher was reading through a dossier left to her by the previous government detailing how Davishire should conduct its trade and foreign policy. She was reading through it, having been Prime Minister for such a short time she had not had enough time to write up her own official notes and policies. She was even without a proper cabinet, having announced that a reshuffle would take place in the new year.

She spoke to her aide,

"Bernaard, this is a complete joke, here is an excerpt 'diplomacy for Davishire has proven to be useless, if they don't agree with you on important, give up'. How stupid, no wonder previous governments didn't get anywhere"

The Prime Minister took a sip of some water before putting the document back into her red ministerial box,

"I think we shall destroy that at the earliest convenience Bernard, and make a note, the new foreign sec is to completely revise Davishire foreign policy haha, in review with me"

"Yes, Prime Minister"

The official car drove up the driveway, Margaret saw some Kangaroos hopping around, she had never seen them before and was quite interested. As the car stopped the looked out of the Window and saw some people who she recognised as senior figures in the Australian government,

• The Foreign Secretary went outside to great Mrs. Thatcher and watched as the kangaroos harmlessly hopped away.

"Oh good; I'm glad there's no kick boxing kangaroos here," Julie said. Her strong South Australian accent started to kick in a bit. "Hello, Prime Minister, and welcome to Australia. I am the Foreign Secretary, Julie Bishop. The Prime Minister unfortunately couldn't make it from Canberra today. He's had some important details to work out on a few Government policies. Congratulations on your new position, and being Davishire's first female PM. You are here at Government House in Sydney, the former home of the Governor-General of Australia and the Lieutenant Governor of New South Wales."

"Australia started out as partially a penal colony for the Untied Kingdom and partially a traditional colony for the Duxburian Union's western provinces. As the two got into the area more in the 19th Century, they went to war over the territory. The Duxburian Union, not fully behind the idea of the Australian colonies, did not fight a fully committed war and as a result, the United Kingdom gained full control. We were granted federation in 1901 and full independence from Britain in 1931 with the Statue of Westminster.

"Prime Minister, it was a long flight in to Sydney, may I offer you some refreshments?"

• Although interested in the history of Austrailia, having never visited there before, Mrs Thatcher was incredibly tired. She should have used the flight for sleeping rather than prepping official documents for her new government.

"Thank you very much for the kind words, I look forward to our two nations working together. I am sure that when my new cabinet is appointed the foreign secretary would want to work with you most closely. Now that drink, a cold lemonade would be lovely I don't like to drink when working you see"

• The Foreign Secretary turned and Kathy brought in a lemonade for the Prime Minister.

"It is a rather long flight to get to Australia from Davishire, I'm sure. I cannot wait to meet my counterpart when he or she has been appointed. Now, Australia is a land of many resources. We, like Davishire, have oil and uranium deposits, mostly in Western and South Australia. We are also rich in sulfur, lead, zinc, natural gas, and rare earth metals.

"Australia's also known for financial services (thanks to Britain's influence) and educational services and educational technologies. We are also pioneers on green energy, getting around 40% of our energy from renewable energy sources due to our large desert.to the South and vast coastline."

"We are interested in trade with Davishire in these sectors as well as other places including education, intelligence cooperation, and freer movement between our nations.

• The Foreign Secretary turned and Kathy brought in a lemonade for the Prime Minister.

"It is a rather long flight to get to Australia from Davishire, I'm sure. I cannot wait to meet my counterpart when he or she has been appointed. Now, Australia is a land of many resources. We, like Davishire, have oil and uranium deposits, mostly in Western and South Australia. We are also rich in sulfur, lead, zinc, natural gas, and rare earth metals.

"Australia's also known for financial services (thanks to Britain's influence) and educational services and educational technologies. We are also pioneers on green energy, getting around 40% of our energy from renewable energy sources due to our large desert.to the South and vast coastline."

"We are interested in trade with Davishire in these sectors as well as other places including education, intelligence cooperation, and freer movement between our nations.

The Prime Minister took a sip of the lemonade, it was incredibly refreshing, chilled and had a few ice cubes in it too. "Well, foreign secretary, I am sure those are most certainly things we would like to work with you on. Green energy however is quite an important one that we would like to look at"

Mrs Thatcher took another sip of her lemonade, before putting it down on the table in the office they had walked into.

"I am not sure if you are aware but Davishire has ceased generating electricity through coal and gas, we now mostly use Oil and Nuclear energy, of which I want to begin to reduce our dependence upon.

Intelligence co-operation is always beneficial, especially with the recent attacks on Davishirian citizens in Sandford, sorry, New London. How do you see us moving forward with such cooperation in Intelligence and green energy?"

• "We were not made aware of Davishire's change in energy policy, and we would be more than happy that to help develop with Davishire more efficient forms of renewable energy. Australia, with its unique fauna, and Davishire with its proximity in the Arctic, are good tests of what we can do, particularly in hydroelectric, tidal, and geothermal energy.

"The Prime Minister and his Government sees cooperation working on intelligence in a formal sharing of any briefings relevant to either nation's security and the ability to access low-level data through formal requests to our respective Governments by the intelligence and security agencies.

"In regards to the green energy initiatives we would engage with, we would like to see market based solutions and the encouraging of investment and development opportunities in the private sector of Davishire for Australian green energy companies and Australian universities. We would feel that government involvement in this would be highly clunky. We would, of course, encourage those Australian companies to follow the rules of Davishire and make sure that they are doing what they need in the eyes of the Davishirian government."

• "I absolutely agree on the issue of intelligence sharing. It is I think important for all nations to share intelligence, especially when lives are at risk.

Well, we have not relied on coal power for about a year now, and, we would love to see Austrailian companies work in Davishire to invest and develop our green energy sector. Now, whilst I cannot reduce planning rules and building regulations, I can offer tax incentives for companies which invest there. Say, a lower rate of corporation tax, say half the usual rate? Not necessarily for solar farms, as I am sure you appreciate we don't have the clearest skies but we do want to work to improve and invest in wind, tidal, wave and Hydropower."

The Prime Minister took another sip of her lemonade, it was nearly empty but still refreshingly ice cold,

"Free movement of persons is another element which would be interesting to explore. My government would be most prepared to remove the requirement for Austrailian citizens to require visas when travelling to Davishire, and I am sure that we could figure out an agreement for those wishing to work and live there"

• "Yes, of course, Madam Prime Minister. The LDP have a commitment to free movement and settlement of people's, so we are willing to go as far as your government would allow. Of course, we still want to control borders and respect the wishes of Davishire to do so, but we are free to go as far as Davishire will allow and my Prime Minister will be able to pass such measures through the House of Representatives here.

"Our nation's companies would be honoured to work in Davishire in your green energy sector.

"Let's talk about education. Australia's fourth largest industry is education, and we are proud of our educational technologies sector and our system. We would like to encourage international students to come to our universities and high schools, secondary schools to you in Davishire, and vice versa. We in Australia value the input of many different nations and backgrounds, ours being a highly multicultural society."

Kathy walked over with a pitcher of lemonade and presumed to refill the Prime Minister's glass once she put it down. The Foreign Minister smiled.

"What would you think of those initiatives, Prime Minister?"

• "That is certainly something my government would be prepared to do. I believe that it is vital that our children experience other cultures and learn new things. I can say with some certainty that my Education Ministry will work with you on this. Perhaps we could also use an education partnership with regards to our public services. Allowing police officers, doctors and fire officers to work with their opposite numbers in our respective countries to better their skills and learn new things

On the issue of freedom of movement, I can say that we would like to ensure passport controls are kept in place however I can say that from the beginning of march we would allow Austrailian citizens the right to enter Davishire without the need for a visa under a visa waiver programme for a period of say 180 days before they are required to purchase a visa at a significantly reduced price . This can be the case for people visiting on business also."

• "Both areas sound excellent, Prime Minister. We will also make sure that Australians travelling to Davishire be aware of differences in customs and security before they arrive, so that they will be prepared when they land on the ground once they arrive. I can also tell you, Prime Minister, that we will be opening an embassy in your capital in future and Davishire is welcome to open an embassy in Canberra or Sydney and several other, smaller consulates when the time comes. Citizens of Davishire will also have at least the same movement rights as your Government has so generously offered Australians.

"This has been fruitful, Prime Minister, and I thank you for coming down to Australia in such a quick hurry. I do believe we both have great victories to bring back to our capitals.

"Can we accommodate you any further, Prime Minister?"

• "I believe that we have made some significant steps in the right direction for both our nations. We both gain to stand well from this. I shall issue a statement upon my return to Davishire confirming this and shall enact the agreements under an executive order where necessary. My government looks forward to working with you in the future."

At this point the Prime Minister finished her glass of lemonade, which was still chilled, and she and the Foreign Secretary walked back to the car, chatting about the long flight and the incredibly warm weather. Outside the building there were some Kangaroos hopping around the lawn,

"Please forgive me one second foreign secretary. Bernard! Pass me the camera"

Mrs Thatcher proceeded to take several pictures of the Kangaroos, before having Bernard take a picture of her standing with the Kangaroos in the background

"I am sorry about that, but I just love those Kangaroos. Anyway, I look forward to next time"

• "They're beautiful animals, Prime Minister. Thank you so much for coming on short notice, and we hope you come back to Australia," said Foreign Minister Bishop. She watched as Mrs. Thatcher got into her vehicle, and began her journey back to the Sydney Airport. She had a big grin on her face.

"Maybe they've changed...." the Foreign Minister said to herself. She quickly saw a wombat on the lawn, digging away at a flower bed. "Kathy, can you call someone to get this wombat out of here?!"

And with that, Julie Bishop walked back into Government House. She fancied a glass of that lemonade herself.