[OOC] War System Updates and Overhaul

• Mod

Now that it's 2016, I want to start making major improvements to the War System. This thread is all OOC, so feel free to express any idea for how to make it work better. One thing we've been considering is to tie the IC formula to our future economic spreadsheet, instead of using NS. That has the potential for sweeping change, so we do need to be careful and play around with the parameters first. What do you think?

Also, now is the time to suggest improvements for the way things are calculated, the size of things, the types of units, the price of units, etc. Several suggestions already on the table include:

- Restoring a unit type: Ground Attack. There is actually a difference between Fighter-Bombers and Ground Attack planes.
    - Eliminating batch purchase of planes, tanks, artillery, and everything except pure infantry units. You would be buying one at a time instead of 30 at a time.
    - Adding support/logistical units and requiring a certain amount of them depending on how many combat units you have. Existing unit types would be purely combat units.
    - Raising IC costs for warships and planes.
    - Clarifying whether you are buying nuclear missiles or nuclear warheads. Enforcement of producer nation capabilities for MIRV capacities.
    - Creation of a "Euro Class" to represent generic units that non-producer nations can purchase. Enforcement of the producer nation system.
    - In general simplification of the war system and its explanations so that new players are less overwhelmed.

• @Duxburian-Union said:

Now that it's 2016, I want to start making major improvements to the War System. This thread is all OOC, so feel free to express any idea for how to make it work better. One thing we've been considering is to tie the IC formula to our future economic spreadsheet, instead of using NS. That has the potential for sweeping change, so we do need to be careful and play around with the parameters first. What do you think?

Also, now is the time to suggest improvements for the way things are calculated, the size of things, the types of units, the price of units, etc. Several suggestions already on the table include:

- Restoring a unit type: Ground Attack. There is actually a difference between Fighter-Bombers and Ground Attack planes.
    - Eliminating batch purchase of planes, tanks, artillery, and everything except pure infantry units. You would be buying one at a time instead of 30 at a time.
    - Adding support/logistical units and requiring a certain amount of them depending on how many combat units you have. Existing unit types would be purely combat units.
    - Raising IC costs for warships and planes.
    - Clarifying whether you are buying nuclear missiles or nuclear warheads. Enforcement of producer nation capabilities for MIRV capacities.
    - Creation of a "Euro Class" to represent generic units that non-producer nations can purchase. Enforcement of the producer nation system.
    - In general simplification of the war system and its explanations so that new players are less overwhelmed.

I would definitely support a move away from NS stats, though obviously we need to make a final decision on the new economic system. However, if we're moving away from NS stats I'd like (as a nation whose NS industries are all in the negative numbers) a link between IC and producer nation status. In terms of IC, Pacifist Cowards should be a middling military power, it spends over 15% of a large budget on its military, however because it follows centralised planning and has strongly regulated business it's industry: arms is -5. Which, fair enough, there's going to be no civilian gun market (guns are consistently banned in NS Decisions) but I find it hard to believe that a nation that spends so much on its army has absolutely no domestic arms industry.

In terms of the other points, I can accept that there's a difference between F-Bs and GA planes, but do we really need to track 3 different types of fighter sized aircraft? If people want GA craft back though, I've got no real complaints. In terms of eliminating batch purchases, the problem isn't so much the amount ordered as the delivery time. It's reasonable a nation would order 30 tanks at a time, but the delivery time would be spaced out over about a year irl, the issue at the minute is people are posting their intent to buy and then immediately the systems appear in their inventory - but the best way I see of dealing with that is to implement some kind of IC calendar (which, off-topic, I would be in favour of. It would make conferences, wars and diplomatic incidents a lot easier to tie together if we had a sense of which threads were happening IC simultaneously. What we have now is some multi-page threads that only cover maybe a day of IC time interacting with new events that happened days or weeks after the conference or whatever started.). In terms of support/logistics I am all in favour of this - personally I always assumed my fleets had support vessels etc. attached (RL navies usually have a 3:1 ratio of support:combat vessels) though I always assumed the larger number of personnel:aircraft ratios for aircraft regiments was due to logistic/support personnel being included.

On nukes, no complaints here (though IC my nation is strongly anti-nuke). The "Euro Class" sounds like a good idea, but it needs to be open for some customisation because I imagine each nation has its own vision of what a basic infantry unit actually looks like, and how its organised (platoon-lead, section lead, highly (de)centralised etc.). I like the complicated war system, and it's actually one of the main things that attracted me to the region, but if new players are saying they're overwhelmed then they have to be the priority (region has to grow, after all!)

Sorry for all the words, just thought I'd throw in my two cents as I left the Skype chat and now can't get back in...

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.