Motion for Recognition of Neutrality for Australia

• During the last year, the previous Government of Australia and all members of federal political parties engaged in a dialogue that would allow Australia to transition to a neutral state. As such, in all party manifestos at the 2016 federal election, all major parties and all parties capable of forming Government agreed to the terms of neutrality being sought.

We are requesting that the European Council recognise Australian neturality, as the Government of Australia in all of its forms will recognise the constitutional convention on neutrality outlined in the 2015 Constitution of the European Union.

These conditions are outlined as followed in Article VI, Sections 1-3

ARTICLE VI – THE RIGHT OF NEUTRALITY

Section I – Definition of Neutrality

I. A neutral state is a member state of the European Union that is bound to neutrality, indefinitely or temporarily, by international treaty. II. The European Council has the authority to recognise the neutrality of a member state by a super-majority vote.

Section II – Duties of Neutral States

I. Neutral states may not permit belligerent states to move troops, or convoys of military supplies, across their territory. II. Neutral states may resist attempts to violate its neutrality, even by force. III. Neutral states may not permit belligerent states to establish and use, or use already established, communications facilities in their territory for military purposes. IV. Neutral states may not establish, or allow belligerent states to establish, recruiting agencies for belligerent states’ militaries. V. Neutral states are not responsible for its residents travelling abroad to enlist in a belligerent military.VI. Neutral states which receive on their territory troops belonging to belligerent militaries shall intern them at a distance from the theatre of war. VII. Neutral states which receive on their territory escaped prisoners of war shall leave them at liberty. VIII. Though a neutral state is not called upon to prevent the export or transport of arms or other military supplies to belligerent states, nor to restrict or forbid the use by belligerent states of telecommunications apparatus owned by them or by the private sector, any such restrictions must be applied impartially to all belligerent parties.IX. Neutral states must ensure that private companies and individuals hold to the same standards of impartiality.

Section III – Rights of Neutral States

I. The territory of a neutral state is inviolable. II. Member states shall not declare war on a neutral state. III. Belligerent naval vessels may only use neutral ports for a maximum of twenty-four hours, though a neutral state may apply – impartially towards all belligerents – further restrictions. IV. Belligerent naval vessels may only remain in a neutral port for more than twenty-four hours to make the minimum necessary repairs to put the vessel back out to sea, or if a belligerent vessel is already at that port, in which case the first vessel must be allowed a twenty-four hour head start. V. Belligerent states shall not move troops, or convoys of military supplies, across the territory of a neutral state. VI. Belligerent states shall not establish and use, or use already-established, communications facilities in the territory of a neutral state for military purposes. VII. Belligerent states shall not establish recruiting agencies for their militaries in the territory of a neutral state. VIII. Belligerent states which capture a prize ship in the territorial waters of a neutral state must be surrendered to the neutral state, which shall intern the crew.

According to the practice of discussion and voting, the timeline is as follows:

Discussion on this motion will be held beginning immediately until JUNE 15, 14:25 BST

Voting on this motion will be held immediately after the discussion period until JUNE 18, 14:25 BST

• Angleter wholeheartedly endorses Australia's request to be recognised as a neutral state.

• Golfia wholeheartedly endorses Australia's request to be recognised as a neutral state.

• Miraco fully endorses Australia's request to be recognised as a neutral state.

• ECoJ

Though the Empire is not a neutral state itself, Inimicus realises the importance neutrality can have for a state like Australia, and supports its government in proclaiming this status.

Alexander Strathclyde

• I would like to inform the Council that voting on this matter began at 14:25 BST.

• I, Gisela Stuart, on behalf of the Apostolic Kingdom of Angleter, vote FOR this motion.

• ECoJ

In the Name of His Imperial Majesty Emperor Artabanos, I, Alexander Strathclyde, vote FOR this motion.

• I, on behalf of the Apostolic Empire of Golfia, vote FOR this motion

• I, Juliet Couillard, on behalf of the Constitutional Monarchy of Miraco, vote FOR this motion.

• The Fremetian Government expresses its support for this motion, and we hereby vote FOR this motion of neutrality.

• With 5 votes FOR and 0 votes AGAINST or ABSTAINING, at 100% approval, I declare the motion adopted and Australia formally recognised as a neutral nation.

Australia will comply immediately with the mandate set out by the European Union's Constitution that lays out neutrality.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.