Constitutional Amendment - ECoJ Election Procedures

• Admin

Councillors,

It has come to my attention that in reforming the Commission, we failed to take note of the stipulation in Article IV, Section III, Clause II of the Constitution that 'the European Court of Justice shall be elected in the same manner as the European Commission, omitting the seven days of debate.' Following the reforms to Commission elections, this is clearly neither workable nor desirable, and I would therefore like to propose the following Constitutional Amendment, intended to reinstate the ECoJ election procedures that prevailed before the other week.

Article IV Section III:

I. The European Court of Justice shall be elected at the same time as the European Commission.

II. Any nation may put forward as many candidates as it wishes for the European Court of Justice, but only the most successful candidate from each nation is eligible for election.

III. The nomination period shall last seven days, to be followed by a seven day period in which voting shall be held.

IV. Voters rank in order of preference as many candidates as they wish.

V. The five members of the next European Court of Justice shall be elected using the Single Transferable Vote system, using the Hagenbach-Bischoff Quota.

VI. The Chief Justice shall be elected from among the five successful candidates using the Alternative Vote system.

VII. In either system, ties shall be broken by determining the proportion of each candidate’s votes that are first preferences, with the candidate with the highest proportion winning the tie. If that is tied, the process shall be repeated for the next-highest preference. If the candidates are tied for all preferences, then the tie shall be broken by a coin toss.

VIII. The new European Court of Justice shall be sworn in and replace the outgoing Court the next day.

Debate starts NOW and ends at 20.30 GMT on 19th September;
    Amendments voting starts THEN and ends at 20.30 GMT on 21st September;
    Voting starts THEN and ends at 20.30 GMT on 22nd September.

• Admin

Ah, a very nice catch. I support this amendment wholeheartedly.

Edward Firoux,

Councillor of Inquista

• Admin

The Duxburian Union supports fast-tracking this (no amendments).

Acwellan Devoy
    Councillor of the Duxburian Union

• Sitanova supports the amendment proposed by Angleter

MARIE THERESE CHARLAIX

European Councillor of Sitanova

• Inimicus agrees with the Duxburian Union's councillor on this. I think there are no objections to this procedural amendment and therefore I don't think we need to go through the usual debate-amend-vote cycle.

Alexander Strathclyde, on His Imperial Majesty's Behalf

• Admin

I wholeheartedly agree with my Inimican and Duxburian counterparts; a fast track certainly will be appropriate in this situation.

Iain Duncan Smith

Councillor for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

• Admin

Voting started at 20.30 GMT on 19th September, since there were no amendments proposed. Voting will end at 20.30 GMT on 22nd September.

I, Gisela Stuart, on behalf of the Apostolic Kingdom of Angleter, vote FOR this Constitutional Amendment.

• Admin

I, Iain Duncan Smith, on behalf of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland vote FOR the constitutional amendment.

• Admin

I, Acwellan Devoy, on behalf of the Duxburian Union, vote [b]FOR[/b] the constitutional amendment.

• I vote FOR the constitutional amendment.

• Admin

On behalf of Inquista, I vote FOR the constitutional amendment.

Edward Firoux,

Councillor of Inquista

• On behalf of the Democratic Republic of Sitanova, I vote FOR this constitutional amendment

Marie Therese Charlaix

European Councillor of Sitanova

• On behalf of His Majesty and the Kingdom of Fremet, I vote FOR this constitutional amendment.

• Admin

This amendment passes, 7-0.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.