Premier Commissioner Election, October 2016

• It's now time to elect our new Premier Commissioner. Since there is only one candidate, I don't think voting instructions are necessary. The candidate is:

Ms Helen SMITH (United Kingdom, Ind.). Ms Smith will nominate Mr Robert KILROY-SILK (Angleter, Ind.) for the Office of Internal Affairs, and Mr Charley BAAKRE (Duxburian Union, Ind.) for the Office of Foreign Affairs.

Voting started a few hours ago and will end at 23.30 GMT on 30th October.

• The Apostolic Kingdom of Angleter votes for Helen Smith.

• Commission

The United Kingdom of Great Britain votes for Ms. Helen Smith.

• Commission

The Government of the United Kingdom of Davishire has requested that I formally ABSTAIN

• The Derectan government and its commissioner vote Abstain, as they consider there hasn't been enough information given about this candicacy to member nations.

We in Derecta have only learnt about this decision thanks to this post and we believe our decision is the fairest, as to support something that one has no knowledge about is unreasonable.

Hereby, the Derectan commissioner asks the Speaker and the future Premier that this kind of decisions are transmitted to fellow nations before elections.

• The Constitutional Monarchy of Miraco votes for Ms. Helen Smith.

• The Duxburian Union votes for Helen Smith.

• The Third Serene Republic of Aalen votes for Helen Smith.

• The State Turkmenbaijan vote Against all of three candidates.

• It is the will of the Fremetian people (Abstain 63%-Helen Smith 37%) that we ABSTAIN from voting.

• According to the results of the referendum celebrated yesterday at Sitanova (Helen Smith 40%-Abstain 55%-Blank Vote 5%), Sitanova will ABSTAIN from voting.

• The Free Principality vote FOR Ms. Helen Smith.

• Voting is over. There were 11 votes in total. There were four 'abstentions', and one vote 'against'. Of the votes for candidates, the results are as follows:

Helen SMITH - 6

Helen Smith is hereby elected Premier Commissioner of the European Union, and it falls to her to nominate her candidates for the Offices of Internal and Foreign Affairs before the Council. Congratulations to her, and thank you all for voting.

• Commission

I would like to take a moment to thank those who voted for me, and to speak to all of our European community including those who felt it was their duty to abstain.

This is a troubling and critical time for our Union. Nations have drifted further and further apart over controversial legislation, and deep divisions have arisen in our community. This is not the Europe any of us hoped for when we voted for the agents of change like Anja Emerett and Eilidh Whiteford. It is a time where we all must come together to address the challenges facing our dear Union.

I am speaking for myself when I say that the nation I have been so privileged to grow up in has not acted in the interest of all people, and it may have appeared to act in condescending, inconsiderate ways in its past. For that, I am deeply sorry. It was never an intention of the Miliband, Obama, and May Governments

I would like my Premiership to be one of understanding and taking careful decisions in regards to Europe as a whole and the function the Union has in our lives. Firstly, I want to see a Europe where there is representation in the Council for all sides of politics, left, right, centre, and others. I want to encourage all voices to come to the table in a meaningful way. Through our disagreements in discussion, we can understand what all of our citizens want to see in Europe and we can reflect the change that they want. Opposition to ideas, mine or others, should not be viewed as hostile. It is part of the democratic process that the regional government should embody.

Continued security of the region as a whole and outreach to other regions will be a focus of my Premiership. It is more important now than ever to continue to gain allies and friends both within our borders and beyond. The challenges we face together should be solved with inclusive actions that will keep the region secure.

Internally, I want the European Council, European Commission, and Court of Justice to return to clearly defined roles. For years, implied powers have been seized upon to create a Court of Justice that acted as a criminal court, a Commission that overreached its own authority, and a Council that largely stagnated. None of this is correct, and the proper balance must be restored and I would like to see the Council lead discussions on issues. Not necessarily in defined committee stages, but as a true legislature does when it scrutinises government activity.

The most important thing we can do is come together to face our fissures, our challenges, so that we can have a bright future. That is what my Premiership will be about, and I want everyone to know they can come to me with any and all questions or concerns with no judgement, pretence or condescension.

Helen Smith

Premier Commissioner-Elect

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.