Repeal European Cannabis Act (2015)

• Mod

The time has come to propose repeal of an act I originally helped author. As a member of the European Liberal Caucus, I no longer believe that the legality of cannabis is something that should be decided at the European level. Just like capital punishment, cannabis should be within the domain of member states to decide for themselves. The European Union should work on true cross-border problems that individual governments alone aren't able to solve.

I still support the continued legality of cannabis, with all the great benefits it has to offer, and strongly encourage member states to keep it legal. However, this repeal is not a referendum on whether cannabis is good or bad, should be legal or illegal - it's a referendum on whether the EU is the appropriate place for such a decision to be made.

Debate starts now and ends at 17:42 on October 29th.
    Voting starts then and ends at 17:42 on November 2nd.

Acwellan Devoy
    Councillor of the Duxburian Union

European Cannabis Act

Authored by Ralph Jaevons, Acwellan Devoy, John Walters

Article I
    Section I: Purpose and Definitions.

1. This Act legalizes cannabis, commonly known as marijuana, for recreational and medical use, throughout all member states of the European Union.
    2. This Act replaces expensive and ineffective prohibition, seeking to improve quality of life while also raising revenue and reducing crime for member states and their citizens.
    3. Definitions:
    1. Cannabis: a preparation of the Cannabis plant intended for use as a recreational drug and/or as medicine.
    2. Dispensary: a licensed store or clinic where cannabis is sold for personal consumption.
    3. Grow: A licensed facility where cannabis is grown for commerical use, such as, but not limited to, supplying dispensaries.
    4. National Possession Age: The minimum age, equivalent to national age of majority, a person must be in order to legally acquire, possess, transport, use, and/or sell cannabis.
    5. Hash Oil: A resin mix of cannabinoids obtained from the cannabis plant via solvent extraction.
    6. THC: Tetrahydrocannabinol, the primary psychoactive ingredient in cannabis.
    7. Cannabis Authority: Any level of government or formal body with the power to regulate cannabis. Includes, but is not limited to, national governments, local governments, committees, and cannabis-specific regulatory agencies.
      Article II
      Section I: Regulations for Personal Use
    1. Adults over the National Possession Age in their nation of residence may legally possess cannabis for their own personal use.
    2. A minimum of 1 gram must be permitted by national governments, a maximum at their own discretion.
    3. Adults over the National Posssession Age in their nation of residence may grow cannabis plants on private property, and similarly possess, transport, and/or use all the marijuana from the plants they grow.
    4. National and local laws must permit the growing of a minimum of 6 plants, at least 3 of which can be mature, on private property, a maximum at cannabis authority discretion.
    5. Cannabis grown for personal use may not be sold or resold.
      Hash oil may not be extracted for personal use.
    6. Up to 30 grams of cannabis per transaction may be given as a gift to any other adult over the National Possession Age in their nation of residence, across the European Union.
    7. National and local laws regarding public consumption of other drugs, including but not limited to alcohol and tobacco, shall be adapted to include the consumption of cannabis, where applicable.
    8. This Act does not limit member states from criminalising driving under the influence of cannabis, being publicly intoxicated from cannabis, or any other activity related to cannabis, provided that they do not contravene the terms of this Act.
      Section II: Regulations for Commercial Use
    1. Adults over the National Possession Age in their nation of residence may operate cannabis-related businesses, including but not limited to, dispensaries, paraphenalia, and grow operations.
    2. Cannabis authorities may impose residency restrictions in their respective municipalities for starting, owning, and/or investing in cannabis-related businesses.
    3. Cannabis-related businesses may only operate with a proper license, granted by cannabis authorities. The granting of this license shall be determined by factors in line with those of similar industries. These include, but are not limited to, the presence of a viable business plan, secure physical premises meeting local zoning codes, and standard health and safety regulations.
    4. Cannabis authorities may regulate how many licenses may be awarded in their respective municipalities.
    5. A license to operate a cannabis-related business may be revoked should the business fail to meet the standards set by cannabis authorities.
    6. The rate of taxation, and its collection, regarding cannabis-related businesses and/or transactions, shall be the responsibility of cannabis authorities.
    7. Cannabis-related businesses may extract hash oil in accordance with national and/or local zoning and safety regulations.
      Hash oil may be used in the production of edible marijuana products. Cannabis authorities may regulate what types of edible products are allowed and how much THC they may contain.
      Edible marijuana products must be manufactured in child-proof packaging and be clearly distinguishable from non-marijuana products.
      Edible marijuana products must be labeled with the dosage of THC they contain.
    8. Cannabis authorities may require edible product manufacturers to submit samples for routine testing, ensure uniform batch dosages, and regulate package quantity limits.
      Section III: Regulations for Medical Use
    1. Cannabis may be prescribed by licensed doctors or physicians to treat medical conditions or symptoms of medical conditions.
    2. Cannabis authorities may require a separate ID system for users of medical cannabis.
    3. Cannabis authorities may permit separate dosage and/or quantity regulations for medical cannabis products.
    4. Dispensaries that carry recreational cannabis products must also carry medical cannabis products.
      Article III
      Section I: Cannabis in Public
    1. Cannabis authorities may regulate whether cannabis may be consumed in public, on public transportation, and/or on public property, and under what conditions.
    2. Cannabis products being transported must be sealed or otherwise unopened, when applicable.
    3. Private businesses and/or landowners are not obligated to allow recreational cannabis use and/or possession on their premises.
    4. Private businesses and/or landowners are obligated, within reason, to allow medical cannabis use and/or possession on their premises, in accordance with a user?s valid prescription and ID.
      Article IV
      Section I: Enforcement
    1. Once passed, the European Cannabis Act shall take effect on April 20th, 2015.
    2. Member states shall have 6 months to harmonize their existing drug laws with this Act, to setup regulatory bodies, and to setup licensing.
    3. Regardless of existing drug laws, Article II, Section I of this Act, in its entirety, shall be implemented by member states by April 20th, 2015.
    4. Misuse or refusal to follow this Act may be tried in the European Court of Justice.

• Admin

As ever, I wholeheartedly support the repeal of this legislation.

Gisela Stuart

• I vote AGAINST the repeal of this legislation.

ms. Esnith Annayeva

• Unfortunately, Cllr. Devoy's times are wrong so there are two more days remaining in the debate phase. I will retify the original proposal. So I encourage Cllrs to make more input over the proposal.

• Mod

I will be supporting the repeal, as my caucus and the UK Government believe that the legalisation of cannabis should not be forced upon national government.

Julia Hartley-Brewer

Councillor for the United Kingdom of Great Britain

• As the @Duxburian-Union commissioner has expressed, these kinds of decisions should not be made by the European Council.

Although we in Derecta are assessing the possibility of regulating cannabis, we do understand that other nations may or may not be comfortable with this issue, but the E.U. should never be pushing member nations to follow its ideals (even though in most cases they are the most PC) as this would be authoritarian.

As it has been said, there are way too many important things the European Union should be focusing on than the legalisation of a soft drug.

• Voting on the Repeal is now open, voting concludes 17:47, November 2nd, 2016.

I will now read the options at vote for this session.

FOR the repeal of the European Cannabis Act (2015)
    AGAINST the repeal of the European Cannabis Act (2015)
    ABSTAIN on the subject of a repeal of the European Cannabis Act (2015)

I, John Oliver, on behalf of the Third Serene Republic of Aalen, do vote FOR the Repeal of the European Cannabis Act.

• On behalf of the Kingdom of the Democratic Republic of Sitanova, I, Marie Therese Charlaix vote FOR this Repeal

• Admin

I, Gisela Stuart, on behalf of the Apostolic Kingdom of Angleter, vote FOR this repeal.

• ABSTAIN

• Mod

On behalf of the United Kingdom of Great Britain, I vote FOR the repeal of this Act.

Julia Hartley-Brewer

Councillor for the United Kingdom of Great Britain

• ABSTAIN

• Mod

I, Acwellan Devoy, on behalf of the Duxburian Union, vote FOR the repeal.

• His Majesty's Government votes AGAINST the repeal of the European Cannabis Act (2015).

• The Federal Republic of Derecta votes FOR.

• I will now read the results:
    6 FOR The repeal
    1 AGAINST the repeal
    2 ABSTENTIONS

As such, I hereby declare that European Cannabis Act is henceforth repealed. European Nations may now handle the issue of cannabis how they see fit, however as a personal note I do hope the nations do a transition period as to allow their citizens ample time to understand the new situation in Europe.

• This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.