Gallambria-United Kingdom Ministerial Consultations (GUKMIN) 2017-1

• King Albert I Conference Center,
    Bromwich Defence Offices, February 8th, 2017

(The Baron Allingham) "Secretary of State, Sir Michael Fallon; Chief of Defence Force, Admiral Sir Allan Chapman-Moore, Royal Gallambrian Navy; Chief of the Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Stuart Peach, Royal Air Force; distinguished guests. Let me be the first to welcome to the inaugural Gallambria-United Kingdom Ministerial Consultation. The purpose of these consultations will be for each nation's respective defence ministers and senior military personnel to gather and discuss current military operations, current affairs, and other items. As this is the first gathering for the consultations, we are still yet to 'iron out' the formalities and on behalf of the Gallambrian Government, we look forward to working with our British partners into the future.

As this is a one-day event, we have a lot to get through, and just to give a brief overview of what we will covering, I'll lay out the main points, firstly, we will be discussing the draft of the Defence Cooperation Agreement. Sir Fallon, you should have received a copy of the draft from my office yesterday. Also, after lunch we will be discussing various national security items, including the expansion of the Gallambrian Over the Horizon Radar Network (GOHRN).

Sir Fallon, the floor is yours."

• Mod

(Sir Michael Fallon, Secretary of State for Defence) "I am so very honoured to be hosted by Gallambria. Our nations have taken the first step in military cooperation in a way that will benefit both of our nations. Shared language, shared traditions, and the will to see peace in Europe have driven us together and this relationship will continue to be a shining example to the nations of Europe on security, cooperation, and defence.

The UK Government has prioritised getting GUKMIN off the ground, and this Defence Cooperation Agreement has been something that I am most pleased to have participated in. The basic premise of the Defence Cooperation Agreement is the fact that there will be a Joint Defence Cooperation Committee made up with parties from both Gallambria and Britain. Each will nominate a head of their respective delegation to the JDCC, and this organisation will help in correspondence and organisation overall of this agreement. This is not just a limited agreement, but sweeping in scope. Military education, industry, and other areas will see cooperation.

I will allow The Baron Allingham to add further details."

• (The Baron Allingham) "Thank you Sir Michael. Ladies and Gentlemen, as we haven't received any feedback that required any further action, we will take the draft agreement as presented earlier, as the final text of the agreement. After we adjourn later this afternoon, we will head to the media centre, and sign the agreement.

Now, First Order of Business. As per our discussion last week, Sir Michael, in regards to the Gallambrian Defence Force permanently hosting British Forces, I have discussed this matter with my Chiefs, in which they support the plan to host forces from the United Kingdom. It would present an opportunity increase our strength and presence with in the region, and also to improve our interoperability. As you told me, you would expect to send elements of your Naval and Air Forces. Over the coming weeks we will work on finer details of the arrangement.

Secondly, while this hasn't been made public yet, we have completed construction of a new "Over the Horizon" RADAR facility and, the Long Range Naval Communications (LRNC) and Littoral & Coastal Naval Communications Networks. In an effort maintain, interoperability and the improved of overall operational support for both our militaries.

"JOTH" or the Joint Over The Horizon Radar Network, will provide our nations with continuous long range surveillance capabilities. With the Medium Range JOTH radars providing a range from 1000km to 3000km from the radar station, and the long range JOTH radars providing a rnage from 3000km to 6000km. JOTH is capable of both maritime and air surveillance, with the ability to detect a maritime vessel as small as a 4.2 meters (approximately 13 feet) and any size aircraft. At the moment, we JOTH has no capability for Ballistic Missile Early Warning, however this is going to be implemented when we achieve full operational capability. The Naval Communications Networks (NCNs) itself, is our capability to communicate with our naval vessels, with their overall lapped positioning, provides continuous radio coverage with our vessels, up to 5000km from our shore.

Should the United Kingdom, agree to facilitating the expansion of both JOTH and the NCN, the Gallambrian Government, will cover the costs of construction, provide the equipment and training to British personnel. We see this expansion as a way to improve our National Security readiness and capability."

• Mod

"Let me be the first to ask what this deal means for the United Kingdom in greater details. Not for me, as I've been privy to conversation on the subject but for the gathered who may not understand what this may mean in the biggest of circles."

• (The Baron Allingham) "Air Commodore Fallingham-Smith, would you like to explain?"

(Air Commodore Fallingham-Smith) "Yes Sir, When we look at the broader picture and its outcomes, particularly for the United Kingdom, we can honestly say that the overall benefits of both systems, would include an increase in joint operation capability.

When we look at JOTHRN, with the expansion of the system to cover the United Kingdom, we will see an increase in coverage area, increased capability in regards to Airspace Penetration Warning, and also Ballistic Missiles Early Warning. However JOTHRN also has the capability to expand into and be used within the Civil Aviation sector, providing high and low altitude 3D Primary Radar Surveillance. The Benefit of having JOTHRN integrated within the Network Centric Warfare System, is that the coverage provided by JOTHRN-North, the Gallambrian Network; and JOTHRN-South, the proposed UK Network, is the seamless communication of information and air intelligence between our two nations.

On the other hand, when we look at the Joint Naval Communications Network, generally, we would see an increased capability to communicate with our naval vessels and submarines. Further down the track, we will see an increase in coverage when new technology is introduced. JNCN will provided both of our navies, with extend range land-to-sea and sea-to-sea communications. We have design NCN to work in a way that has end to end signal cryptography as well as a multi-band capability, allowing our navies to use separate frequencies, but also allowing the use of a single frequency for joint naval operations.

• Mod

"What we find with the JOTHRN network is that the United Kingdom's surveillance capabilities and it will help keep both of our countries on the forefront when dealing with known and unknown threats. The ability to expand into NATS is also ideal. The NCN is also a huge step forward for British naval capacity. This ability to use a single frequency for joint operations will allow Gallambrian and UK vessels to complete crucial missions together and communicate as they continue to cover the North Sea area. The increased security is second to none and the ability to be working in conjunction with Gallambria in the North Sea in aviation is absolutely key. The UK Government finds the agreement to be both necessary and welcome."

• (The Baron Allingham) "Thank you Sir, and we will look forward to working together with the United Kingdom in getting both the programs underway with your nation.

Well that seems to be the last item on the agenda for today. Ladies and Gentlemen, shall we retire to the ante-room for refreshments before we sign the agreement?"

- The Baron Allignham and the Gallambrian contingency arise from their chairs, and proceed to the ante-room for tea and snacks.

• Mod

Defence Secretary Fallon sat down and enjoyed the light refreshments before he looked on at his counterparts as they seemed to be shuffling some documents on a table. Both the Gallambrian flag and the UK flag were on display.

• Baron Allingham approaches the microphone, to address the guests and media.

"Sir Michael, distinguished guests, ladies and gentlemen.

For Gallambrians, an European orientation flows in our blood. We see the reality of it for economic growth, for deepening trade and investment links between our countries and we see the excitement of cultural exchanges and deeper people to people links.

As Defence Minister I see opportunities for closer engagement between the Defence Forces of Gallambria and the United Kingdom. We can use our shared geographic interests to build security, to deepen understanding and to promote our common interests.

I think for many Gallambrians, our deepening engagement with the European Union over the last year has brought about a new realisation, which is not that we are isolated by what many have called "the tyranny of distance". Rather it is that we are deeply connected with the most vibrant region in the world.

Allow me to set out a vision I have for the future of defence cooperation with the European Union.

I believe we should aim to strengthen each other's security by respecting each-other's sovereign territory and helping to reinforce each other's capacity to protect our territorial waters.

We should aim to share information on security issues of mutual concern.

We should make sure we understand each-other's strategic thinking. Political leaders, as well as military and civilian officers, should always be able to pick up the telephone to share views.

Our Defence forces should have deep experience of each other, based on long years of training, learning and exercising together.

We should conduct joint patrols at sea and in the air, sharing information collected from these operations as closely as possible.

We should actively look for opportunities to work together on tasks that enhance global security, like EU and UN mandated peacekeeping operations.

We must define our own security as being intimately tied to the security and wellbeing of our neighbours.

This could be the new paradigm for EU security - an approach which sees security as a collective prize, rather than based solely on separate national strengths.

We are some years from realising this goal of close military collaboration, but important steps have been taken over the last decade to strengthen regional cooperation.

In Gallambria, I can advise that there is strong support across all major political parties to increase our regional defence cooperation.

This is a trend that will continue and has my strong support as Defence Minister.

We share a unique strategic outlook on the world. We are growing economies, with robust political systems and respected military organisations. We ought to be, in my view, natural partners - each with different views on many issues, but each sharing a common and constructive interest in regional stability.

Before I invite Sir Michael to join me at the table to sign the agreement, I wish to thank all the delegates from Gallambria, and the United Kingdom for joining us today for the inaugural GUKMIN session, and I look forward to our discussions and to our closer cooperation in the future.

Sir Michael?"

• As the two ministers sat down, they exchanged pleasantries. They signed both copies of the agreement.

"And with our signatures affixed to the agreement, I now declare that this agreement, between the United Kingdom and Gallambria, in force. Thank you".

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.