Amendment to the Constitution (Deputy Speaker Act)

I hereby propose the following amendments to Article II of the Constitution: 

Article II - THE EUROPEAN COUNCIL

Section IV – Speaker of the European Council

II. The Speaker may call the opening and closing of debating and voting phases in the European Council, set what constitutes a valid vote in accordance with the Constitution, and count the votes when a voting phase has ended. The Speaker may extend Council proceedings if deemed suitable, however, no phase of the legislative process may be shortened and this power cannot be delegated.

III. The Speaker shall act as a mediator if a Councillor lodges an official complaint against another Councillor or against the Deputy Speaker. The process for hearing complaints and coming to a decision is up to the discretion of the Speaker. Mediation responsibilities cannot be delegated.

Section V - Deputy Speaker of the European Council

I. The Deputy Speaker is a Councillor responsible for presiding over sessions of the European Council and moderating the legislative process in the absence of the Speaker.

II. In the absence of the Speaker, the Deputy Speaker may call the opening and closing of debating and voting phases in the European Council, set what constitutes a valid vote in accordance with the Constitution, and count the votes when a voting phase has ended. The Deputy Speaker may extend Council proceedings if deemed suitable, however, no phase of the legislative process may be shortened and this power cannot be delegated.The Deputy Speaker may delegate these responsibilities to any Councillor, or defer to the presenter of a proposal if they and the Speaker are both absent. 

III. The Deputy Speaker shall act as a mediator if a Councillor lodges an official complaint against another Councillor or against the Speaker. The process for hearing complaints and coming to a decision is up to the discretion of the Deputy Speaker. Mediation responsibilities cannot be delegated.

IV. The Deputy Speaker shall be elected at the same time as the Speaker.

V. The Deputy Speaker shall be elected in the same manner as the Speaker, omitting the seven days of debate.

Debate begins NOW and lasts until July 5, 18:00 GMT.

Voting on amendments will then begin and lust until July 7, 18:00 GMT.

Final voting will then begin and lust until July 10, 18:00 GMT.

• group:cid:2:privileges:mods:members

Dr Jens Nørreport stood up to address the chamber:

'My honourable friend Councillor Firoux makes a valuable contribution to the chamber with this legislation. The job of speaker can be strong measured and with the lack of presidency in this chamber we must rely on the speaker for official engagements with heads of state. I therefor feel this act is important to maintaint he integrity of this chamber and to extend the capabilities of the speakers office. I would like to request us to further consider the possibility of formalising the Speaker as a rperesentative of the house to heads of state as well'

• Commission

I support and second the statement made by Dr. Nørreport. It would be of great importance to have the Speaker act as the official representative of the Council to the heads of state in Europe.

Sir Edward Mountain, 4th Baronet of Oare Manor and Brendon

Councillor for the United Kingdom of Great Britain

As there are no amendments, we shall skip right to the voting phase. Voting closes on July 9th, at 18:00 GMT.

On behalf of the Microstate of Inquista, I vote FOR this constitutional amendment. 

Edward Firoux,

Councllor of Inquista

• The Federal Republic of Derecta votes FOR this amendment.

HE Cllr. Julian Maverick

Did I not propose one?

I don't believe you did, Councillor. Unless you intended to when you said, "I would like to request us to further consider the possibility of formalising the Speaker as a rperesentative (sic) of the house to heads of state as well"?

Would you like to extend the debate period?

Edward Firoux,

Councillor of Inquista

yep that was intended with that line 

Ah. For the next time, I suggest that you propose a formal amendment in the manner that is custom to the region. Regardless, your proposition is probably best served as a different constitutional amendment altogether, as it looks to address a completely different question than what this constitutional amendment is attempting to navigate. 

Voting will continue.

Edward Firoux,

Councillor of Inquista 

Voting has ended.

There are 2 votes for, and 0 votes against. 

This legislation has passed.

Edward Firoux,

Councillor of Inquista

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.