Presidential Elections

• While the newly elected members of the National Congress gathered together for the first joint seating after the elections mr. Gülan Burhamayew entered the parliament with some folders under his arm. He mounted his seat as chairman of the National Congress, coughed and switched on the microphone.

"Dear members of this house. Today isn't a normal joint seating. We welcome several new members of this Congress, the cards are shuffled. In a moment this nation, our nation, will have a new head of state. This will happen following the prescriptions of the law and constitution of the State Turkmenbaijan. Traditionally before we pass at the election of a new head of state a new chairman of this Congress will be appointed. This will happen also following the prescriptions of the law and constitution of the State Turkmenbaijan. It is this law that says that the biggest party in the National Congress have to appoint an apt candidate.

Dear representatives of the Social Democratic Movement, I give you the word to present your candidate for this assignment.

Ayberk Bayramyew: "Thank you very much mister speaker. SDH received again a strong mandate of the Turkmenbaijanis. As biggest group in this house is it our duty to oversee what happens in this house. We own this to the people. The chairman of this National Congress is a figure who has to be an embodiment of the members, their patriotism and their vigor. We propose to you, members of this house, mr. Nikolay Nikola. As president mr. Nikola turned this nation from a single-party state to a true democracy, opened the european gates for our nation and seeked in all cases peace, stability and further development of Turkmenbaijan. We believe sincerely that mr. Nikola is the most suitable candidate for this honorable task. I thank you mr. speaker."

Gülan Burhamayew: "Thank you mr. Bayramyew for this presentation. Following the laws and rules of this house and the constitution of the State Turkmenbaijan the members don't have to vote. As their are no other candidates I approve the candidacy of mr. Nikolay Nikola for chairman of the National Congress of the State Turkmenbaijan and due the presentation and the knowledge we have about mr. Nikola I, in the name of the National Congress of the State Turkmenbaijan, assign mr. Nikolay Nikola as chairman of the State Turkmenbaijan. Congratulations."

"Then we will go over now to the election of a new head of state. Before we start I will quote the constitution which describes the role of head of state, the president, in this nation: Article 79 of the constitutions of Turkmenbaijan gives the status of head of state to the President of the State Turkmenbaijan. He or she is also considered the guardian of the constitution and the rights and freedoms of those who claim Turkmenbaijani citizenship or residency. The President is the personification of unification of the Turkmenbaijani state when conducting foreign or internal affairs and shall be the main representative when dealing with other nations or international organizations. The President is also entrusted with the safety, prosperity and stability of the country and acts as an intermediary between the bodies of the national government."

"The parliamentary commission for elections received three candidacies for the function of head of state. It concerns mr. Ayberk Bayramyew of the Social Democratic Movement (1), mrs. Kader Gurbuzyewa of United Turkmenbaijan (2) and mr. Säher Mubarakyew of the Communist Party (3). No other candidacies were submitted by the parliamentary commission for elections. A candidate requires a two-third majority of the present members of the National Congress. Is there no two-third majority in the first round a second will be hold between the two candidates who received the most votes in the first round. When it comes to a third round a democratic majority of 51 + 1 is enough. I propose we move on to the voting itself. "

"Mrs. Kader Gurbuzyewa; 59 votes. Mr. Ayberk Bayramyew; 31 votes. Mr. Säher Mubarakyew; 13 votes.The necessary two-third majority is not achieved. This means a second round is needed. The Candidates for the second round are mrs. Kader Gurbuzyewa of United Turkmenbaijan and mr. Ayberk Bayramyew of the Social Democratic Movement.
    Voting can happen now."

"Mrs. Kader Gurbuzyewa; 59 votes. Mr. Ayberk Bayramyew; 44 votes. Again a necessary two-third majority is not achieved. This means that a third round is needed. I've said it already; by a third round a simple democratic majority is needed: 51+1. The candidates for the third round are mrs. Kader Gurbuzyewa of United Turkmenbaijan and mr. Ayberk Bayramyew of the Social Democratic Movement."

"Mrs. Kader Gurbuzyewa; 59 votes. Mr. Ayberk Bayramyew; 40 votes. Abstained; 4 votes. By this is mrs. Kader Gurbuzyewa elected as president of the State Turkmenbaijan. Congratulations. Mrs.Gurbuzyewa may I invite you to come to the pulpit?"

"Mrs. Gurbuzyewa, you are be founded apt to take this mandate on you by the democratic elected members of the National Congress of the State Turkmenbaijan. Are you willing to take and execute this job following the laws and constitution of the State Turkmenbaijan?"

Kader Gurbuzyewa: "I promise to protect Turkmenbaijan's independence and integrity, to honour the constitution and adhere to the principles and interests of the Turkmenbaijani people."

Gülan Burhamayew: "Congratulations, mrs. president."

A loud applause was given by the members of the National Congress. For the second time a woman will lead the State Turkmenbaijan.