An Australian Arrival At An Angleteric Airport

• Sam Courtenay hadn't had a regional summit in a while. The last few months on the home front had been good for him - with the opposition in disarray and the economy on the up, he'd pulled well ahead in the polls - and now his attentions turned to foreign policy.

A visit from Australia had long been in order. The two countries were close in many ways. Both are English-speaking desert nations in southern Europe, and in terms of political alignment, Courtenay and Australia's PM Hillary Clinton were natural allies. Both Prime Ministers were pragmatic, centre-left leaders negotiating the difficulties of minority government.

Closer co-operation between the two countries was, Courtenay thought, a no-brainer. Greater trading and economic ties would work to the benefit of both countries' economies, and Courtenay was keen to follow up on the success of the tripartite agreement with the UK and the Duxburian Union. There was also a small matter of enlisting help for Courtenay's rapidly expiring promise that 2017 would be the last year of the Dromund Kaas War.

An aide's head popped around the door.

"Prime Minister?"

"Yes, Waqas?"

"The Australians are on their way. They've landed and their motorcade is currently at the Noyan Roundabout."

"Ah good. Get Watson and Franklin to get the tea and cakes ready. Oh, and get a jug of water and some glasses too."

• "I really hope that they have some wine there; the horrifying aspect of having your Deputy Prime Minister also be Foreign Minister is a nightmare," Hillary Clinton said, flying in a private jet over to Angleter. The Dromund Kaas conflict and subsequent refugee crisis had put Australia and Angleter on differing sides of what was a very close to home conflict. As the neutral nation both in that part of the world and the European Union, the Prime Minister felt it was her duty to take in refugees. The terrorist attacks in London that rocked the United Kingdom had now put her policy of accepting refugees into sharper focus, and opened her to attack on the right. 

'Minority government is a mess,' the Prime Minister thought to herself. She looked over to see Tony Burke and Chris Bowen with her, the Cabinet Secretary/Energy Minister and the Industry Minister with her. She rather had thought it'd be better for the Labor ministers to stay at home.

"Hillary, we're about ready to land," Tony said to her. The PM smiled before preparing herself for the inevitable landing. She had not been on quite a high profile visit to another nation before outside of the United Kingdom, which of course was like going to see extended family. 

"Great; let's see who greets us on the tarmac in New Birmingham," Hillary said, looking at her glass of wine. She might as well have another sip.

• The Australian delegation were whisked to Oldknow House, the Prime Minister's residence. Courtenay, joined by Foreign Minister Mary d'Ivry, was outside to meet them.

"Mrs Clinton, a pleasure!" said Courtenay, as he shook her hand. The delegations exchanged pleasantries and posed briefly for a group photo before heading inside, where they took their seats around the table.

Pouring the tea into a cup, Courtenay was the first to speak:

"Well, welcome to Angleter. I trust you all had a nice flight, and that the drive here from the airport wasn't too bad. Everyone used to get stuck at the Noyan Roundabout, but Apache Indian insists he's fixed that now."

"Anyway, to business. If we perhaps start with Dromund Kaas?"

• "Thank you very much, Mr. Courtenay. It is a pleasure to be here in Oldknow House. The roundabout wasn't troublesome today, so your fixes may have debugged the whole thing," Mrs. Clinton said to the Angleteric prime minister. She looked at her team of Bowen and Burke before moving on to Dromund Kaas.

"Yes, I would like to talk about Dromund Kaas today. This is a long standing war, and Australia has taken in many refugees. I know you have a strong interest in ending the conflict there, and I've talked to British Prime Minister May and she also wants to end the conflict. Australia does want to aid Angleter and the Coalition to bringing the conflict to an end. I wonder what the plan is for the territory in the future. I think it is also important to increase secure acceptance of refugees in our nations. The terrorist attack in London showed that these refugees are feeling alienated in their new countries and isolated, and they may also be dangerous."

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.