Repeal: European Healthcare Accreditation Committee Act

• I have brought forward another change recommended by the Office of Internal Affairs. To quote Internal Affairs Commissioner Chelsea Clinton-Mezvinsky "we have to make sure that what we legislate is going to be functional. While this has good intentions, the EHAC has created bureaucracy that doesn't work, cannot work, and replaces the simple act of national Departments of Health and their accreditation of systems within their country and internationally with something that has ceased to work".

It is with that in mind that I move to repeal of the European Healthcare Accreditation Committee Act.

Proposed by Eloise Murray, Councillor of Miraco
    PREAMBLE Noting that there is no entity responsible for the accreditation of healthcare standards in the European Union, this bill hereby creates, establishes, and sets the rules for the European Healthcare Accreditation Committee (EHAC)
    Article I: Creation of the European Healthcare Accreditation Committee
    Sec 1: Hereby, we officially establish the European Healthcare Accreditation Committee as the official committee responsible for accrediting healthcare institutions and healthcare professionals.
    Sec 2: The European Healthcare Accreditation Committee shall be separate in function and governance from this Council or any legislative body of the European Union and its members shall not be appointed or removed from office by this Council or its predecessor.
    Article II: Purposes of the European Healthcare Accreditation Committee
    Sec 1: The European Healthcare Accreditation Committee (hereafter referred to as "EHAC") shall be in charge of setting the standards regarding medical education and practice.
    Sec 2: The EHAC shall be in charge of ensuring that accredited practitioners and institutions remain up to the specified standards and that the quality of healthcare received by patients is equivalent to that received by any accredited entity.
    Sec 3: The EHAC shall ensure that medical education received in any accredited institution is up to the specified standards and that thus practitioners with certified credentials are able to work throughout the European Union.
    Sec 4: The EHAC must revoke accreditation should the entity in question fail to perform up to the standards set.
    Sec 5: The EHAC shall be responsible for accrediting foreign credentials for foreign healthcare practitioners wishing to seek employment within the EU.
    Sec 6: The EHAC wishes to further enhance cooperation throughout the European Union as well as ensuring geographical mobility for EU residents working in the healthcare industry.
    Article III: Organisation of the EHAC
    Sec 1: The President of the European Healthcare Accreditation Committee shall serve as the head of the committee and shall be its chief executive. He shall be able to make executive decisions to execute orders given by the EHAC Board of Directors but he may not issue new policies, change set procedure, or modify any part of the EHAC without direct approval of the Board of Directors.
    Sec 2: The President of the ECB shall be a learned official who has sufficient experience in the fields of medicine and education and can be a current member of the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors have the ability to revoke the President's role should they see him/her unfit to perform his/her duties
    Sec 3: Should the European Council deem a member of the Board of Directors to be unfit to continue in his/her duties, they may remove him/her with a 2/3 majority vote.
    Sec 4: The EHAC may receive money from the European Budget to maintain its facilities and the European Board may not require any favours from the EBC in return for the money.
    Sec 5: The EHAC may receive money from the European Board to maintain its facilities and the European Board may not require any favours from the EBC in return for the money.
    Sec 6: The EHAC shall establish its own headquarters.
    Sec 7: These rules may be amended any time only by joint approval of the EHAC Board of Directors AND the European Council.

• Admin

I second the motion.

The debate period starts from now, and ends at 16:20 GMT on 25 February 2018

The voting period starts from then and lasts until 16:20 GMT on 28 February 2018

• Admin

I agree with the repeal of the Act. The national governments should be in charge of mutual standards rather than having a bureaucracy that is effectively defunct tell every nation in Europe what they can and cannot do to be accredited. Every nation should have the right to accredit the healthcare that they see fit for their population, for it is national governments that know what is best for their citizenry, not the regional government. 

• Sanar Willow stands to make her speech to the Council motivated by Omnibus' passion for spreading their ideals to other countries and to spread their system of Healthcare for All 

Hello, my fellow councilmen today we have an occasion where I can fully congratulate you on a step in the right direction, while we have started to move backwards in ideas of Gay Marriage in the opinion of Omnibus but I agree with the repeal of the European Union institution for healthcare and would motivate you to move towards Healthcare for All people as a right to all of your citizens, it will make it more affordable for your citizens and it will keep more citizens alive this is why I contend that to repeal this institution we must put in place a standard for the Union because otherwise their will be countries that will not help citizens and many will die because of it, this is what I propose to get my vote for this bill making it an amendment that I am not saying needs to be law but a customary standard that countries should be held to for the good of their countries.  

• Emma Granger stands with royal grandeur to make her speech to the Council motivated by Cllr Willow

Councillors, Our European Union currently spends $9 trillion Euros on health care each year—nearly $14,000 per person. Reforming our health care system, simplifying our payment structure and incentivizing new ways to make sure patients are actually getting better health care will generate massive savings for our countries and this is part of the work of the EHAC. This Committee has been estimated to save the European people and businesses over $17 trillion Euros over the next decade. 

Each day an European acquires a form of cancer, and the only effective treatment might be considered “experimental” by an insurance company and thus is not covered. Without medical coverage, the patient must pay for the treatment out of pocket. But these costs may be so prohibitive that the patient will either opt for a less effective, but covered, treatment; opt for no treatment at all; or attempt to pay the costs of treatment and experience unimaginable financial consequences. Medical bills in these cases can easily rise into the hundreds of thousands of dollars, which is enough to force even wealthy families out of their homes and into perpetual debt. Even though each European could someday face this unfortunate situation, many still choose to take the financial risk. Instead of gambling with health and financial welfare, EU country citizens should press their Councillors and representatives to set up EHAC, where their committee observance of their coverage will be guaranteed and affordable.

Despite the opponents’ claims against EHAC, this opens the possibility of a universal european healthcare system that will save lives and encourage the health of all Europeans. We propose the prompt election of the new President of the EHAC and its Board to get the work done, not dismantle this bill, and run it effectively, our country stands on this election as crucial for the health of our millions of europeans and promotes a national candidate of each country to the board and a call for general elections of the presidency.

Europeans need a health care system that works for patients and providers. We need to focus our regional investments on training the health care providers. We need to ensure a strong health care workforce in all communities now and in the future. We need to build on the strength of the 50 years of success of our Healthcare programs. We need a health care system that significantly reduces overhead, administrative costs and complexity. We need a system where all people can get the care they need to maintain and improve their health when they need it regardless of income, age or socioeconomic status. We need a system that works not just for millionaires and billionaires, but for all of us.

Millions of people will no longer have to choose between health care and other necessities like food, heat and shelter, and will have access to services that may have been out of reach, like dental care or long-term care. Thats why we call for the defense of the EHAC and Open Elections for the Board and its President.

Lady Emma Granger , 2th Baroness of Montague

His Majesty Councillor to the European Union

• To Lady Granger, Councillor, I ask you this:

Why should the Australia pay for healthcare for people beyond its citizenry. This is also not about healthcare systems in terms of access to it. If you want to discuss that, write a law proposing universal healthcare at the European level. This is a discussion on the repeal of the European Healthcare Accreditation Committee Act, a currently not at all staffed bureaucracy that is supposed to determine the worthiness and standard of all European hospitals.

It is not simply okay for Europe to tell each government what standards they must accept. Australia and many others adhere to high standards, and the Australian Government will want to pursue standards that it feels is right for its citizenry. If nations want to sign on to a treaty recognising certain aspects as qualifying as a basic minimum of coverage, Australia will support such legislation. However, to strangle everyone into the same standards and have an entire healthcare system that predates the European Union membership that Australia has enjoyed potentially deemed unaccredited is shocking, even to the most Europe loving and progressive among us.

Gary Quinlan

Councillor for the Federal Republic of Australia

• Admin

Judith Gibbon stood to speak

"I'd like to know, Cllr Granger, where on Earth you got these figures from? 'The European Healthcare Accreditation Committee has been estimated to save the region €17 trillion over the next decade.' Estimated by who? How?" 

"Is it rubbish? I think it's rubbish. I mean, come on. I don't believe that. You can't just pluck statistics out of nowhere to justify your arguments and expect nobody to question them. Obviously, centralising the accreditation of healthcare institutions and professionals in Europolis will not save €17 trillion, ever."

"There is no reason why accrediting healthcare institutions and professionals should be a European matter. Like, I'm sure, most countries in the region, Angleter has its own trusted, established means of accreditation. We do not want this responsibility taken from us, and transferred to a new European institution. Far from saving anything, that could endanger Angleteric lives. Why would we trust this organisation, abolish our own one - otherwise where's the saving - and hand over the reins? This is serious business."

"Now, there is some scope for the EU to facilitate mutual recognition of professional qualifications. But this legislation lays no useful groundwork for that, and I believe a new piece of legislation would be best to achieve that. In the meantime, this should be repealed."

• Admin

As voting has started, on behalf of the United Kingdom of Great Britain, I vote FOR the repeal of the European Healthcare Accreditation Committee Act

Sir Edward Mountain, 4th Baronet of Oare Manor and Brendon

Councillor for the United Kingdom of Great Britain

Speaker of the European Council

• on behalf of Omnibus, I vote FOR the repeal of the European Healthcare Accreditation Committee Act

• Admin

Apologies for the delay, but with two votes for its repeal, the European Healthcare Accreditation Committee Act has been repealed. 

Sir Edward Mountain, 4th Baronet of Oare Manor and Brendon

Councillor for the United Kingdom of Great Britain

Speaker of the European Council

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.