Refugee Protection Act

•                                                                                                                         Refugee Protection Act

CONCERNED for the welfare and safety of people who have been displaced from their country of residence; and,

SEEKING to provide for the protection of persons against undue persecution and harm, and to encourage protection for persons fleeing violence and persecution, the Act hereby enacts the following:

SECTION 1 A refugee shall be defined, for the purposes of this resolution, as any person who is for any reason outside the country of their nationality and cannot avail themselves of the protection of their country of nationality, or who refuses to do so because of a well-founded fear of unjust persecution. This shall not exclude persons also defined as refugees under different criteria by provisions of national or other international law.

SECTION 2 - In regards to refugees, the following shall be enforced:

1. No person, whether or not they meet the definitions of a refugee, shall be transported against their will, in any manner or for any reason, to a territory in which that person may be put at risk of persecution, unjustifiably discriminatory treatment, unjust incarceration or execution, torture, or other serious violations of their rights, whether by state or non-state entities.

2. Where a member nation has denied asylum to or expelled a refugee, the nation shall, as far as possible, seek to facilitate that person's transport to another nation which is willing to grant asylum, and must not obstruct that person's efforts to seek asylum in another nation.

3. Refugees shall not be discriminated against by reason only of their status as refugees, are entitled to full protection under national law, and shall not be arbitrarily expelled once granted asylum.

4. In recognition of the potential that the circumstances causing a person to become a refugee may exist in the long term, member nations shall as far as possible seek to facilitate the naturalisation and favourable integration of refugees, should the refugee request such assistance.

5. Nothing in this resolution shall place any restrictions on the right of member nations to grant asylum to any person they so wish; member nations are encouraged to apply greater and more liberal protections for refugees than mandated in this resolution, and neither shall this resolution be interpreted to compel any nation to grant asylum to any person.

6. With the exception of section 1, nothing in this resolution shall be interpreted to affect extradition or immigration policies of member nations in matters unrelated to refugee protection.

Written by Lady Emma Granger, 2th Baroness of Montague, Councillor for the Kingdom of Montenbourg

• Emma stands

Councillors, the well-being of all countries is of great relevance especially considering our modern day issues. The well being of our nation (in my case) the Kingdom of Montenbourg is especially pertinent not only for its citizens, but also the citizens of the world. It is very ironic how we as Europeans proclaim to hold human rights in such high regards while supporting member states leaders that does not respect women, sees immigrants as threats and deeply desires to construct walls that outlines the entire their brothers borders. 

Our country understands that if you were forced to run for your life, amidst falling bombs or as a hurricane approaches, as government instability, what would you grab after your children and loved ones? You would be well advised to make your identity documents one of the first things to pack. Birth certificates, national ID cards, passports, residence permits, even a driver’s license—documents like these will be necessary to prove who you are to the authorities in the country to which you flee, and the authorities in your home country when it is safe to return. Host countries have an important responsibility to register refugees who reside on their territory, and to provide them with identity documents that are recognized by public and private service providers and document their status as a refugee. 

Among the most basic responsibilities of states is universal birth registration for all those born in their territory, as well as registration of deaths and marriages and other changes in status. In particular, birth registration provides a child with official evidence of who their parents are and where they were born, which can facilitate recognition or acquisition of a nationality and ensure family unity during resettlement or repatriation. Our governments must take care that the registration of refugees and other displaced persons is done in a way that safeguards rights and fosters inclusion, and also strengthens the capacity of authorities to administer these populations and more efficiently provide assistance and durable solutions, including voluntary repatriation, local integration and resettlement. This requires that the procedures are fair and accessible, and that appeal is possible if an application for a particular status is rejected.

I understand that may be an issue with the decision of His Majesty Government to grant asylum to Shane Raimi but we understand that the member states of the European Union agree that EU citizens and their families have freedom of movement within the EU and the European Economic Area—these citizens are privileged migrants because they don’t require individual permission from officials as other migrants do.  We need to protect asylum and refugee seekers' best interests: with stronger guarantees for unaccompanied minors and a balanced extension of the definition of family members;

In conclusion, as councillors of the 21st century... as our hearts strive to help those in need... as our inner voice wishes to be heard but our outer self doesn't allow it... as our eyes seek for a better horizon, united and firm in our values we stand. And our place on this planet is a valuable strand of change because the impacts that we can create can take the world to other levels of what is possible. Its time to act.

Lady Emma Granger, 2th Baroness of Montague

His Majesty Councillor for the Kingdom of Montenbourg 

• Admin

I second the motion to bring this to the floor of the Council, and I agree with the learned Lady Councillor and the point that she raises. The European Union does need clear and fair rules about refugees, asylum seekers and general protocol. 

The United Kingdom backs this proposal with great importance and without hesitation and urges others to do so.

Sir Edward Mountain, 4th Baronet of Oare Manor and Brendon

Councillor for the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Speaker of the European Council

• Emma takes the microphone

I thank the Speaker of the Council for seconding this motion.  We really need to provide a common minimum standards for the treatment of all refugees and asylum seekers. As we understand the EU now needs to put in place the tools to better manage migration flows in the medium and long term. The overall objective of this Act is to open a dialogue and go from a system which, by design or poor implementation of our member nations, encourages uncontrolled or irregular migratory flows to one which provides orderly and safe pathways to the EU for third country nationals. 

• Admin

I would like to move for an extension of debate.

Judith Gibbon

• Admin

The motion has been granted. The debate period has been extended to 13 March at 19:15 GMT.

Councillor for the United Kingdom of Great Britain

Speaker of the European Council

• Emma takes the microphone

I wish the Speaker of the Council to clarify the situation of this bill.  

• Admin

We must start the voting process, and I apologise for the delay. 

Voting begins NOW and will end on Wednesday, 28 March at 15:20 GMT

• Emma stands in front of the podium

Thank You Mr. Speaker. 

I, Lady Emma Granger, 2th Baroness of Montague on behalf of the Kingdom of Montenbourg, vote in FAVOR the proposed legislation.

We call other nations to follow our lead and make our immigrants and refugees a top priority!

• I, Ms Selena Uwaduar, agrees with Lady Emma Granger. Therefore, on behalf of The Democratic Republic of Luz de Libertados and St. Esther, I vote in FAVOUR of the proposed legislation.

• Admin

I apologise for not commenting during the debate period, but I will note that I won't be the first Councillor to precede their vote with a short spiel, which given the circumstances I don't think is unreasonable. 

The provision in Section 1 effectively bans deportation to any country in the region, on the grounds that the deportee 'may be put at risk' of 'unjustifiably discriminatory treatment' by 'non-state entities'. If you can show me a country where that's not a valid concern, then I've got an elite cycling tour to sell you. The provision in Section 2 puts absolutely no limit on the migrant's right to claim asylum elsewhere if refused in their current host country, which would essentially allow them to, if they are so inclined, use their host as a 'staging ground' where they could 'shop around' for a nation that will accept them on the best possible terms, dragging the process out for as long as possible. Section 3 essentially bans any distinction between refugees - who haven't left their home country entirely voluntarily, and whom we should hope are temporary residents who will be able to return home in the near future - and non-citizen permanent residents, which Angleter would not accept. Section 4 goes even further than that and tells us to create a path to citizenship not on the same basis as permanent residents, but as far as possible and so long as the refugee wishes to obtain citizenship.

For those reasons, I, Judith Gibbon, on behalf of the Apostolic Kingdom of Angleter, vote AGAINST this Bill.

• Based on advice given to me by my government, I, Klemen Horvat, do vote AGAINST this legislation on behalf of the Federal Republic of Austrur.

• On behalf of the State Turkmenbaijan I vote in FAVOUR of the Refugee Protection Act.

• Admin

With 3 votes in favour and 2 votes against, the Refugee Protection Act has passed. 

Speaker of the European Council

Councillor for the United Kingdom of Great Britain

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.