Epp-ed Candidates

• It is time to begin selection for candidates to stand for the new EC. This time I double-checked my reckoning, so we should be in the clear. I believe that we are looking for three candidates. Please follow this format when submitting your nomination:

Name: (candidate name)
    Nation: (self-evident)
    Titles: (formal candidate name)

If we have more than three nominees, we shall hold a pre-selection ballot. Also, I would like to introduce endorsements. If you would like to endorse a candidate, please use this format:

Nation: (yours)
    Nation endorsing: (theirs)
    Candidate endorsing: (use their formal title)
    Explication: (why would they be a great EPP-ED candidate?)

Again, thank you and best of luck!

(PS - candidates have one endorsement (i.e., not themselves) whilst non-candidates have two; NB - you cannot endorse a candidate before they are nominated)

• Candidate: Michael McDowell
    Nation: The Commonwealth Dominion of Derbyshire and Fife
    Formal Name: The Rt Hon. Michael McDowell, TD, MEP, FRS(DF)

I'll try again, if you don't think he's too rediculous.

• Candidate : Giovanna Laurina Pallotti
    Nation : Nazione Italiana
    Formal Name : Precedente Presidenta della Repubblica-Monarchia, La Signora Giovanna Laurina Pallotti

• It would be help full if we know which position each candidate is running for as well as their views on social, politic and economic issues. Aleutia currently does not have any plan to run for any office.

• administrators

According to the proposed Constitution, the offices are handed over at the will of the Premier Commissioner. As such, the only office you can technically run for is Premier Commissioner.

• Then I suppose these are the two candidates from the EPP-ED for Primer Commissioner.

• We should stage an election within the party first to pick our sole candidate for the EU elections so that we can concentrate our votes to our candidate and secure his/her victory.

• Definitely. Though as Aleutia stated earlier, it would help to hear the candidates' views on the issues before any vote starts.

• To better serve you, could we have a few of 'the issues'? Let me know what you want to hear my opinion on.

(EDIT : We've had debates in the past)

• administrators

As a EPP-ED observer, the CPSU expresses interest in proposing a single candidate for all of us to back. Such a candidate could (and should be) a change from the past, with no offence to Mr. Tristan, in order to show us alternative leaderships and how would they perform.

Although EPP-ED and the CPSU have ideological differences, the need and desire for cooperation can always make things work as far as there is mutual will. The Soviet Communist Party is prepared for such a move and would like to spearhead the European Union's elections.

A Soviet-native Commission candidate would be a great move ahead, showing the world that there are rifts in East-West cooperation and no bias in favour of against either side, especially due to ideological grounds. A universally-backed Soviet-born Commissioner shall, as well, strive for proportional representation of the European Parties in the Commission

OOC reminders: No candidate can be, by Constitutional articles, related to a government of a state or any organisation like that (as such, no Soviet officials, no Soviet militarymen, no ETO spokesmen: they would all have to resign their posts to qualify.) The winning candidates must also fairly govern the EU without bias on anybody. I can triple-assure you I can do this and roleplay against my country if need be. A winning Soviet candidate would not be under Soviet government control.

OOC explanations: What I am suggesting is all EPP-ED back a single Soviet candidate to consolidate the Parliament's vote as much as possible. If the Soviet candidate wins, according to my proposal, he will offer proportional representation in the other four seats of the Commission: assume he, officially backed by EPP-ED, gets 75 percent of the votes, this would make him give three of the other four seats to EPP-ED candidates. 50 percent would mean spreading the vote equally between ELP and EPP-ED.

• I would support the decision to place a Soviet Candidates in our elections, giving us more variety... at least letting them take part int he debate...

• I believe that cooperation between political parties are valuable and mostly needed in democracies. However, I do also believe that the CPSU and the EPP-ED are from so different backgrounds and depend on very different political beliefs. It's a tempting offer from the CPSU, however the EPP-ED and it's liberal and conservative members should not strive for political power alone, but focus on the political agenda at hand. What use is there for EPP-ED politicians in the parliament if they are not conducting EPP-ED politics?

I'm not saying that is, or will be, the case. But we should be ever vigilante. A CPSU premier serves CPSU interests, that's his duty, and I have no objections to that. But CPSU interests doesn't always serve EPP-ED interests. I believe that my fellow EPP-ED partymembers understands my point.

However I thank the CPSU observator for his input in the debate, and although I do not share his point of view.

To better serve you, could we have a few of 'the issues'? Let me know what you want to hear my opinion on.

We are interested in knowing the candidates' opinions on: the economy, the new constitution, the war in Alikhstan, and the East-West confrontation.

We are also interested in listenning to what the Soviet delegate have to say (about his/her opinions on the issues above). However, we believe that the Soviet delegate, not being a member of the EPP-ED, should not be put forward to represent the party in the Union.
    Yet, although we don't support the Soviet participation in the party elections when it comes to the general elections, Aleutia reserves the right to vote for whomever we see fit the seat of the Premier. This means we are willing to examine the Soviet candidate's proposed policies and vote for him/her if we think those policies are better than our delegates'.

• I appreciate the interest in policy, and will gladly prepare a statement.

Concerning the proposal of the USSR observer; I find the whole thing rather peculiar. Firstly, as the author of the document, he should be aware that to be on the new Commission, you must first be elected to it. Its officers may not be appointed by presidential decree thenafter. His suggestion only makes me wonder what his motives are in having us run no candidates of our own... Secondly, we are the largest party in the union, for crying out loud. We need more than one voice on the commission! I believe that it is my duty as party leader to point out that if we run three candidates and all three are elected, then we command a majority. Recalling the number of votes required to be elected to the old Commission, I think it is entirely possible for this to occur without ill effect to ourselves. Remembering that I was once elected to the EC with 2 (count 'em) votes, I think we shall have no problem. I can only express my moderate displeasure that our USSR observer would slip amongst us and cause ill-humour, dissention and moroseness. If you need proof that we are the greatest party in the EU, simply look at the fora. The other two parties have not been active in months. The Liberals, once the biggest party, now only have one (two, really) active member. Furthermore, the greens have obviously kicked the bucket. I urge you to come to your senses and grasp the reigns that have been put in your hands! It is as if the supreme ruler were calling to you, "Now is the time for the EPP-ED!" I ask, "will you listen?" Will you answer the call of destiny and bring to fruition the long plan and programme of this party? Will you answer the needs of your people and seek office? Will you find the spine to stand up to the oligarchs and say, "I'm in control now!"? I know that I have what it takes, and I know that each and every one of you is capable of such fortitude and vision; now is the time to use it. Together, there is nothing that can stop us! Allons-y!

• administrators

East-West Confrontation: An elected CPSU candidate shall strive towards the cooperation of regional powers for the peaceful resolution of crises. Talks over the limitation and eventual elimination of weapons of mass destruction from the stockpiles of European Union member-states, the cessation of hostilities and disputes between the Soviet Union and the ETO through negotiations and the implementation of laws to strengthen the proposed Commissioner for Defence office with mutual defence provisions, and supplementation of whining and political disputes with trade where possible.

War in Alikhstan: It shall be considered as a top regional priority and concern to resolve this, and there will be attempts to supplement the forces of individual nations with regional volunteer security forces under the Office for Defence of the European Commission, indirectly under the European Council's jurisdiction, that will include humanitarian efforts. Regional terrorism in general will be considered top-priority and there will be pressure on isolationist governments (ooc: Soviet Union) to cooperate and contribute resources for regional good as well as to consider terrorism not an outsider's problem, but a collective problem as a whole.

Economy: Respect on the individual member states differing economic systems makes decisions difficult here, when it comes to involving everybody. The implementation of a regionally-endorsed economic wing open to all European Union member-states promoting free trade and respecting protectionist policies, with membership being voluntary to allow countries to retain or abandon isolationist policies. A consolidated budget system would be pursued to make the Commission and its functions autonomous with no compulsory contributions (as opposed to the currently endorsed system).

As of the concerns voiced by the Holy Roman Empire, we would like to deny such claims. The ideological differences between EPP-ED and the CPSU are virtually annulled by the region's democratic processes, as well as the respect for individual nations' sovereignty. The point of cooperation among people or organisations is to draft a common line and overcome their conflicts of interest where possible to allow a common line to be pursued by all, for the voice of many is stronger than the voice of one. At the moment, to achieve cooperation between two so seemingly diverse organisations will be a breakthrough, showing that nothing is impossible and that breakthroughs are possible on other sectors as well.

• QUOTE (Holy Roman Empire @ May 30 2007, 02:30 PM)

I believe that cooperation between political parties are valuable and mostly needed in democracies. However, I do also believe that the CPSU and the EPP-ED are from so different backgrounds and depend on very different political beliefs. It's a tempting offer from the CPSU, however the EPP-ED and it's liberal and conservative members should not strive for political power alone, but focus on the political agenda at hand. What use is there for EPP-ED politicians in the parliament if they are not conducting EPP-ED politics?

I'm not saying that is, or will be, the case. But we should be ever vigilante. A CPSU premier serves CPSU interests, that's his duty, and I have no objections to that. But CPSU interests doesn't always serve EPP-ED interests. I believe that my fellow EPP-ED partymembers understands my point.

However I thank the CPSU observator for his input in the debate, and although I do not share his point of view.

OOC : We granted him observer powers. I for one, am all for having a Soviet candidate taking part in our debate. We may as well hear it, because it's not like they can take over the EPP-ED or anything, and they most likely will not be supported by the EPP-ED so what's the harm?

• **OFFICIAL **Message from Signora Pallotti, Candidate of the EPP-ED

The Economy: The Economy of the EU can always be strengthened, naturally this would take the aid of all nations. The first thing we must make sure of, is that we are will to trade in peace. We can no longer descriminate against other nations or groups and expect to make a profit at the end of the day. If they are peaceful, benevolent, and prosperous, trade with 'em! It is rediculous that organizations such as the EEC can be allowed be so biast against non-democratic nations. The leaders of the EU have to be the proponents of Free-Trade. I would support a free-market economy, however this wouldn't work for everyone of course, we must allow one and all to impliment their own forms and seek the best for their nation.

The New Constitution : Nazione Italiana was one of the first supporters of the new constitution. Although we fought against many nations to have Italian represented in it, our government found little to rise up against besides that. I, myself, was one of the first to read it in my nation and applaude the Good Comrade for his excellent work. I feel it will being stability to a swaying time in our history.

The War in Alikhstan : While my nation and I are pacifists, we support Alikhstan and its allies in its war on terror. I believe firmly in never negotiating with terrorists, rather taking them out. Although I am a pacifist, I STRONGLY believe in taking out those who threaten the safetly of others

The East-West Confrontation : While these two great cultures will always clash, we can not let one consume the other. We must all work together, and preserve our own cultures, faiths, and ways of life. This must sound funny coming from me, who, while President, had so many clashes with Russian leaders. However, it was always kept in check, and I feel that it ties us stronger in the long run. Arguements, however dangerous, can also being two people to understand eachother, and realize they aren't as different as they seem. As a final note, niether Nazione Italiana nor I support the ETO. We see it as a potentional hazard to Pax Europa.

This has been an **OFFICIAL **message of Signora Pallotti.

• Культура
    Culture
    كلوتر

It is self-evident from our perenial strife that we live in realities that are all too distant. Contact with each other is regarded as a chore. Communication between allies is considered a burden. How lon has it been since any of us shared a greeting for the simple pleasure and bond of friendship? My guess is that it has been far too long. This attitude must change if we are to revive the European Union.
    Some of our friends scoff the real life European Union, but I believe it is a valuable asset to have a clinical study 50 years down the pike to observe, study and of which to make post-mortems. What, I ask you, is the intent of this, our union? Instead of turning to our heady petty squabbles and itinerant infighting, we should focus on the aims of the fathers of this union. The real European Union is the brainchild of Jean Monnet and Robert Schuman. Together, they laid the framework for what we are proud to call home. If you met Mssrs. Monnet and Schuman, how would you behave? Would you lower your head in shame because you failed to carry out their lofty goals? I wonder; what would you change if told you would not meet them until tomorrow? What policies would you reverse? What initiatives would you re-do? This is how we should consistantly behave. The purpose of this union is to allow better and freer trade and commerce between our nations because we believe by our membership in the EU, not simply the EPP-ED, that free trade is inherently superior to nationalism and that the rights of labourers are sacrosanct. Somewhere, my friends, we lost this vision. Not only did we loose it, we tossed it into the mud and trampled on it. Now, at the last moment, before the final bell tolls, we have one last chance to form that perfect union envisioned by Monnet and Schuman. If you are ready, I shall gladly lead the way. We need to immediately put away the differences that prevent us from reaching that perfection. As that wonderfully controversial book, the Bible states, ?When I was a child, I spoke like a child, reasoned like a child and played like a child. When I became a man, I put childish things away.? Let us put down our childish animosities that separate us, one from another, and join in a truer, freer community.
    There was a movement in the 1980?s to recognise a dvide between north and south. The Lady Thatcher properly dissented from this ill-placed sentiment. Nations are not poor, rich or otherwise because of their geographic locality. Now that the Iron Curtain has crumbled, let us truly throw away east and west, fro the Earth, I hate to sat, is round. No true east or west may be discerned, thus we are all stuck in the same place; if we are not, then I suggest we at least pretend to be happy about the neighbours.
    Such historic conflict, however, is not want to vanish with the application of a lever. It will take time. It will take work. I am ready for a challenge, and I will not settle for anything less than a globe that is perfectly round. The first thing on my agenda will be a Ministry of Culture. This ministry will actively promote harmony and the celebration of our distinct societies throughout the European Union. More importantly, this ministry will actively promote the culture and customs of the Union throughout the United Nations. We should be a beacon of hope and democracy to the entire world, not a private retreat for a few washed-up political hacks. Not only must we re-populate this union, but also, we must create a new generation to pick up where we leave off, for the time is not far distant when everything shal be strange and the EU shall no longer be a commonplace event in our lives, but rather a dim memory. How do you want your memory to be? I know how I want to remember my time. My memory shall burnish like the sun; it shall be a great reminder of the carefree days, when theory consumed ebery ounce of waking thought. I will remember the good and the bad (but there will surely be much more good than bad) and savour them together in the bittersweet sauce of life, and laugh. Not for any particular reason save that rush of freedom that comes with those momentus words that await us every day, ?Welcome Back!? How do you want to remember it? The choice is yours.

Because the people must know, I gladly announce my programme for the European Union, in or out of government, for the action of one is all that is required to make a difference:

? Ministry of Culture
    ? World-wide Membership Drive (led by Culture Ministry)
    ? Strategic Arms Limitation (SALT) talks to limit weapons of mass destruction
    ? Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (NTBT) talks
    ? Nuclear Non-Proliferation (NNPT) Convention
    ? Bruxelles II Convetion on Climate Change
    ? The European Courts Bill, a definitive structuring of the courts
    ? The European Community, a treaty organisation espousing free trade
    ? The Council of Europe, an human rights watch for the Union and the world
    ? Peace Talks with Alikhi terrorists
    ? The Social Chapter, a treaty protecting the rights of labourers
    ? A Pan-European Minimum Wage, in addition to the Social Chapter
    ? An Official Euro, for countries prepared for integration
    ? An Exchange Rate Mechanism, for countries not prepared for the Euro

• We thanks all the candidates for their beautiful presentations. Now, again, we strongly recommend the central committee of the EPP-ED to organize elections within the party to choose one and only one representative for the EPP-ED in the coming general elections of the Union.

• I must again report that I am unwilling to limit the field of EPP-ED candidates to one. The five seats on the EC must be filled by someone, ergo, the election threshold may only be one vote. This is entirely possible for us to pull off. Moreover, we owe it to this region to establish a functioning majority government. This region has been without true leadership (a President has nothing to do with legislative power, it is largely irrelevant) for too long. It is time we restore the aims and ideals of our party to the region through parliamentary democracy, the truest and oldest form of the expression of the will of the people. I reject this defeatism that would only serve to give us a shadow ministry on the edge of government. As the largest and most active party, we should nominate three candidates. I shall not give up on this dream, as some have, and continue to cajole this party into action.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.