Present: Mr. J. Stipe, Mr. K. Goerts, Mr. A. Romenenko, Ms. A. de Brantis

Agenda:

• Introductions of Commissioners
    • What is expected of Commissioners
    • Aims of Term
    • Specific long term aims for individual Commissioners and Offices
    • Specific short term aims for individual Commissioners and Offices
    • Anything else

Greetings, fellow Commissioners. I am Jacob Stipe, your Prime Commissioner and I thank you all for attending this first meeting. As you can see from the agenda, I hope to lay out the groundwork for an active, productive and united Commission.

Firstly, I wish to introduce myself to each of you. I am sure you have come across me before, but just in case. I am Jacob Stipe of Aesop Rocks. I was a part of the very first Commission under the Rt. Hon. James Stanton as Commissioner for Internal Affairs. I then went on to become Chief Justice of the ECoJ. I also, before the current Constitution was in place, helped advise Aesop Rocks on Foreign Affairs. Aesop Rocks place in the Security Council of the EU was gained, partly, with my diplomacy. As you can see, I have had an industrious career and I hope, as Prime Commissioner, it may continue. However, it is with your work that this can be achieved, and I hope you will all play a strong role in this Commission, working towards our unified aims. I hope you will all take a moment to introduce yourselves to this Commission so we may begin to work together formally.

As Prime Commissioner, it is not my belief that the Commission will function with a laizzes-faire attitude. We need activity, unity and a strong moral to face the challenges which may arise, as well as deal with the ones we already have. My first act will therefore be to impose mandatory attendance to all Commission meetings. There shall be one regular meeting a week, at 20.00 (GMT) on every Sunday, in my office. Should this change, you will be informed at least 24 hours in advance. There shall also be meetings where and when I deem neccessary, again compulsory. You will be informed **at least 24 hours in advance **of such meetings, when possible. Should any other Commissioner feel the need to call an emergency meeting, they may do so by sending Personal Messages to each Commissioner. Any Commissioner hosting a meeting will be expected to do so in their own office. Such meetings will be compulsory. Should any Commissioner not be able to attend any meeting, they must give at least 24 hours notice to myself by either Personal Message, or by leaving a note in my office. Should any Commissioner miss two or more meetings without sufficient explanation or warning, I shall take any neccessary steps possible. At these meetings, it will be expected of all Commissioners to give a summary of all activity within their Office so as to keep track of where we are as an unit. Should there have been no or little activity within their Office, they shall be expected to state so, as well as give reasons as to why no progress has been made on the issues entrusted under their authority.

I must also state a number of other points. No Commissioner, nor any representative of their respective Offices, may give an official statement to the European Council without clearing it with myself first. No Commissioner, nor any representative of their respective Offices, may in any way, represent the ideas, beliefs or views of any nation nor political party of this Union. The European Commission is not a tool of nations, nor political parties, but instead a representative body of the Council, one which has no bias or personal opinion, but which serves to ensure the upholding of the democratic values which draw us together as an Union.

Now, I wish to discuss the aims of this term. I believe that we have a great problem with inactivity in this Union. Very few of our members are ever active in the Council, voting or voicing their opinions, and so I feel we are in great need of fresh faces. Therefore, I am entrusting Mr. Kurt Goerts with the duty of organising the recruitment of new nations. I am positive he will take this position seriously and with his previous activity in various offices of the Union, I am sure he will have the experience to move us forward in this area. It is my suggestion, that he heads a campaign to bring all EU nations into helping with recruitment - perhaps finally finishing the Recruitment Rota I started so many months ago.

I also am particularly concerned about the situation which is still causing visible tension between Triera and the Soviet Union. I must emphasise it is not our place to give our opinion on who may be right or wrong in the matter, but I feel, with our authority, we may finally find a way to resolve the problem. I wish that Mr. Neilander Xeillion am Jenson may take it upom himself to help head the meetings that I hope will take place to ensure a resolution of the problem. I hope to work closely with him in the next week to help set up the base of future plans.

The final aim is again one which has been attempted by many but achieved by none. We must set up the European Defence Force and to do so, there must be close co-operation between Mr. Alexander Romenenko and Ms. Anne de Brantis who head the Peacekeeping and Economics office respectively. This partnership must work to ensure the EDF is created swiftly and without the incurring of huge costs to any single nation or group.

Therefore, by Sunday 06.04.2008 at our weekly meeting, I expect the following:

Mr. Goerts must have at least one recruiter for each of the 'Feeder' Regions. He must also have a draft of Regional Message Board recruitment letters and of Personal Telegram recruitment letters for the EC to review.

Mr. Jenson must have drafted an invitation to all EU members to attend a meeting in which tensions are discussed. I shall be taking personal interest in the matter and shall further advise Mr. Jenson on the matter.

Mr. Romenenko and Ms. Brantis must have worked out an achievable (in both size and cost) European Defence Force. They must also have worked out the costs and how these funds may be procured from member-states.

If any other Commissioner wishes to add anything, please feel free to do so. If not, I shall see you all at the meeting at 20.00 (GMT) on Sunday (6th April).

• administrators

Well. First of all congratulations, Mr Stipe, for your victory last week. Concerning to the recruitment I wil try to have at least three other nations than me to send messages to feeder region. If I'm unable to find three voluntary members, I will carry on the recruiting activity by myself. About the recruiting messages, I will start working with it this evening (now I can't, I'm at my school's computer room) and I expect to have a first proposal by tomorrow's evening. I will write three or four different messages and we will choose the better one.

Kurt Goerts,
    Commissioner of Foreign Affairs of the Stipe Commission

• I feel that there has not been enough debate over the usefulness of the European Defence Forces. Some nations express an unwillingness to fund such a force because their perceived threat to political autonomy and independence. I believe that getting such nations on board should be our first target ahead of preparing for how to finance the force. I propose we first gather information about which states support the concept.

• QUOTE (Luvenburg @ Apr 1 2008, 05:45 PM)

I feel that there has not been enough debate over the usefulness of the European Defence Forces. Some nations express an unwillingness to fund such a force because their perceived threat to political autonomy and independence. I believe that getting such nations on board should be our first target ahead of preparing for how to finance the force. I propose we first gather information about which states support the concept.

I feel that such a debate should be an informed one; if member nations want to protest against the creation of the EDF, then they should be aware what form it will take, how costly it will be and so on before raising such objections.

• Alexander Romenenko, shuffled his papers and rose from his chair, ready to deliver his report on the the EDF

My fellow Commissioners, we have to make a vital decision about the future of our defence forces. While we have been committed to a pan-European defence force for some time, there has been no clear vision about what form it should take, and their continues to be no clear vision.

This has been starkly demonstrated by the difference in funding members expect for the EDF; the Soviet Union delegate has offered funding to the tune of $33.5 billion, whereas the figure given to me initially by the Economics Commissioner was ?750 million for the entire project.

To resolve this conflict, I submit to the Commission three distinct plans for the European Defence Forces which should be debated and voted on with immediate haste.

The first plan is for a fully armed, professional armed forces which would be paid out of the the European budget. It would include a fully equipped army, navy and air force; with 100,000 army personnel consisting of two Army Corps, 35,000 naval personnel serving on 82 ships and 41,000 air force personnel. Beyond raw personnel, they would be fully equipped, as well as funding being placed aside for the provision of free housing and healthcare for all personnel and research projects. The approximate cost of running this would come to ?50-100 billion, and would enable us to intervene in international conflicts as well as participate in co-ordinated international rescue missions in the event of natural or human disasters.

The second plan would be to follow the ?750 million budget the defence commission has set us. This would allow for the funding, equipment and deployment of only one brigade of armed men, with 2 infantry battalions, 1 armour, 1 artillery and 1 support battalion. This would allow for the EDF to only participate in peacekeeping or policing roles, and only with the extensive support of national armed forces in order to deploy in conflict zones.

The third plan is for national governments to voluntarily contribute troops and arms on a three yearly basis, choosing to boost their numbers or reduce them. However, once under EDF control they would be expected to be entirely autonomous from their home nations and answer only to the European Union.

As defence commissioner, I wholeheartedly endorse the first plan to the Commission and urge it to make its decision with haste.

• Anne de Brantis, press her lips and moves to respond to Romenenko's recommendations.

"I put my backing behind the second option. I believe it offers the greatest return for the required investment. The EU is struggling to fund it's current operations and adding another 100 billion of expenses will not help with our finances. It will also be easier to convince skeptical member states to agree to fund the project."

• I would like to inquire as to whether the budget of $100 billion is realistic. As I am aware, there are two nations contributing to the EU Economy at this time; Soviet Union and Aesop Rocks, to the tune of about $40 billion. If the economics of our Union could be formalized so as to ensure regular income for our Union, from the numerous member-states who participate, I feel perhaps the target could be reached. I also however, wonder where the military personnel for such Armed Forces would be procured from?

• With the greatest respect to both of my fellow Commissioners, it is ridiculous to call anything "excessive" at this stage for the simple reason the entirety of the EU has no budget, only two contributors and no formal tax plan.

To talk about even having the existence of a European Defence Force is futile without any idea of a budget. Where did the ?700 million figure come from? It completely failed to take into account the contributions from both Aesop Rocks and the Soviet Union and seems to have been picked out of thin air.

"I put my backing behind the second option. I believe it offers the greatest return for the required investment. The EU is struggling to fund it's current operations and adding another 100 billion of expenses will not help with our finances. It will also be easier to convince skeptical member states to agree to fund the project."

Miss. de Brantis, the EU's operations are underfunded because we have no finances. At this point in time, we have two contributors from the entire political body which makes up the EU, despite having a regional community of 88 nations and a significant number of nations who participate in the political affairs of the European Union. How can we talk in such terms of expense and finance when we have no system in place?

The idea of the EU is to form a united group of nations which are driven along the same course. I refer you to the statement of the EU:

"Welcome to the EU! Our region promotes democracy in all of it's forms, economic unity, and social justice. We also encourage all nations to sign up on the forums and take part in life in the European Union. Enjoy your stay in our glorious region! "

I believe until you have drafted plans of your own on how we promote economic unity and organise the EU's finances there is no reason to speak in such terms.

I would like to inquire as to whether the budget of $100 billion is realistic. As I am aware, there are two nations contributing to the EU Economy at this time; Soviet Union and Aesop Rocks, to the tune of about $40 billion. If the economics of our Union could be formalized so as to ensure regular income for our Union, from the numerous member-states who participate, I feel perhaps the target could be reached. I also however, wonder where the military personnel for such Armed Forces would be procured from?

A budget of ?100 billion is the very top end estimate and would require the EDF to be completely self contained, carry out its own extensive weapons development and research programmes and even maintain a nuclear arsenal. I don't anticipate any of these factors becoming true of the EDF, but the military models I have based this figure on all include these factors in their budgets and offer no clear distinction of what money goes where, which is why I drew up the range for this figure. It is far more likely we will have to fund the EDF to the tune of ?60 billion ($94,824,005,632).

As to recruitment, the EDF is only a small army by our standards, but I appreciate there is going to be some difficulty achieving a full strength army. I recommend we discuss recruitment with the militaries of the European Union. My figures have taken into account that their will be shortfalls in the number of people we can recruit each year, but that shouldn't impact on the operating capacity of the EDF.

• I wish to call upon the inactivity of Mr. Jenson, Commissioner for Internal Affairs. His recent unannounced departure from his Office has created a vacuum in which the legislative process is unable to continue. Without a prompt response, I shall be calling for his resignation within a week.

• I must request that a formal finance plan is put forward to the Commission: I cannot proceed with the EDF, something I wanted completed by the end of my term in office, unless we have some form of taxation system.

• Indeed, I hope Ms Brantis will be ready soon?

And what the hell has happened to the suggestions for recruitment telegrams? We shall meet on Thursday, if Jenson isn't here I am going to move to remove him from the Commission. I want your budget proposal by then Anne, a more bloody realistic budget for the EDF because this one is ridiculous at even 50 billion and I am going to begin invitations to a Summit of Europe.

Get to work. And last warning Jenson.

• administrators

Hi all!

As no one went to discuss and/or propose ideas for recruitment telegrams I have decided that my Proposal N? 1 will be the definitive proposal for the recruitment message of the region. I will use it when I have the approval of Prime Commissioner Stipe. Also, I have created a nation, EuropeanUnionRecruit, for the only purpuose of posting those recruitment messages on the Feeder regions' RMBs.

• Then I shall slash the EDF's budget in half to ?25 billion by eliminating large parts of the social welfare the soldiers were due to get in order to entice them to work for the EDF.

This effectively means that there will be low-rent housing for only those whose pay grades are below ?20,000 (Corporal and Privates), there will be no dedicated military hospital programme with only limited psychiatric help available and the maximum compensation the EDF can pay to soldiers wounded in action will be ?2 million.

The alternative is that I cut troop numbers in half for all armed services or eradicate the air force and naval detachments.

I respectfully suggest the Commissioners make their decision, keeping in mind the task that we are asking men and women to do by participating in a standing army and that we should not leave them out "to dry" after service with the EDF.

I recommend we cut troop numbers and go to one army corps, not two, maintain only 35 ships and have the air force largely focus on support and defensive aircraft.

[OOC: The figures were based on what it costs to operate an army of a similar size, using the British Armed Forces as a base, but factoring out certain costs which would not be needed. The figures are "ridiculous," but it is substantially less than what a single average modern, Western European state is spending on a military.]

• Right - I want the recruitment telegram you are putting forward?

Ms. Brantis - I want your budget proposal.

And I wish to introduce you to former Commissioner for Defense, Ms. Sophia Khodorkovskaya. I believe she has a Defense Proposal for us, which I wish to hear myself in full, as well as the rest of you. She shall be attending any meetings I deem necessary.

• administrators

QUOTE (Aesop Rocks @ Apr 17 2008, 07:39 PM)

Right - I want the recruitment telegram you are putting forward?

Here they are both the recruitment telegram and the RMB Recruitment Message:

Recruitment Telegram

Hi [nation name]!

Do you want to join an active, interesting and serious region? Join the European Union. The European Union is an active and peacefull region with a large roleplaying activity. The European Union is governed by the European Commission, led by a Prime Commissioner, who is elected by the member nations for a determined month long term. There is also a parliament, the European Council, where laws and reforms are debated and voted, and the European Court of Justice, the highest court of the European Union, led by the Chief Justice, the body meant to deal with the highest priority legal problems within the Union. The European Union is a region of contrasts with Communists and Capitalists, big and small nations, rich and even richer nations. Come to the EU, and you will have a good time.

To Join the European Union you have to:

1. Click on ?The World? in the left-hand bar
    2. Type ?European Union? and click ?Find Region?
    3. Click on ?Like What You See? Move [Your Nation] to European Union Today!?
    4. And now you are a member of the European Union!

Regional Message Board Recruitment Message

Hi, new nations!

Do you want to join an active, interesting and serious region? Join the European Union. The European Union is an active and peacefull region with a large roleplaying activity. The European Union is governed by the European Commission, led by a Prime Commissioner, who is elected by the member nations for a determined month long term. There is also a parliament, the European Council, where laws and reforms are debated and voted, and the European Court of Justice, the highest court of the European Union, led by the Chief Justice, the body meant to deal with the highest priority legal problems within the Union. The European Union is a region of contrasts with Communists and Capitalists, big and small nations, rich and even richer nations. Come to the EU, and you will have a good time.

To Join you have the European Union you have to:

1. Click on ?The World? in the left-hand bar
    2. Type ?European Union? and click ?Find Region?
    3. Click on ?Like What You See? Move [Your Nation] to European Union Today!?
    4. And now you are a new member of the European Union!

• Looks good. Well done - if needed, I am happy to send someone from my Office to help in recruitment.

• administrators

Thank you for the invitation, Mr. Stipe. For a start I wish to greet everyone present, and state my intention to fully cooperate with the present Commission, and especially the offices for Defence and Economics, to create a fully viable and functional Defence Force.

By reviewing the current proposals, I notice that there is either an oversized, 100 billion euros per annum-worth defence force, or an undersized one. The problems with either are more than obvious, but I will detail them, with your permission of course.

Starting with the oversized proposal; Mr. Romenenko proposed an 176.000-personnel force, including large contigents of naval nature. Europolis, however, lacks any coastline, and, of course, the procurement of a colossal naval force of 82 ships will cost the Commission significant amounts of funds.

If we add the procurements necessary for completely equipping this EDF, it can easily dwarf the first year's budget proposal of 50 to 100 billion euros.

The undersized one, although financially and operationally viable, remains too small to be able and answer multiple critical situations at once. Of course, there are multiple countries in this Union that would prefer a dwarf, incompetent EDF, but it is the Commission's task to further community goals and not national ones.

During my first term as Defence commissioner, I proposed an order of battle of just under 45.000 military personnel, as opposed to the 176.000 'heavy' and 15.000 'light' one. The current order of battle proposal consists of three mechanised infantry divisions, two special regiments, and an air force regiment. Such a force would require an annual budget of some 5 to 15 billion, which is less than one-fourth of the 'heavy' proposals, especially because of its lack of naval contingents and unnecessary mechanical needs.

An example 10 billion euro budget would include expenses of some 225.000 euros for each military person per annum - including wages and benefits. This puts an average monthly wage at 18.750 euros if we include the coverage of the person's expenses such as feeding, housing, training, equipping, and maintenance of his or her equipment.

If we assume that each 'employee' is paid a clean ending salary of 4.000 euros on average, this is a 48.000 euros salary per annum for each one of them (52.000 if a 'thirteenth' wage is allowed) leaving the forces just under 8 billion euros for its remaining costs. If this budget is expanded to its maximum, at 15 billion euros per annum, we can thus afford new arms procurements with relative ease.

Concerning procurements, I have made an estimate of what the EDF needed under my initial proposal as Defence commissioner, which includes 450 armoured personnel carriers, 225 infantry fighting vehicles, 450 main battle tanks, 75 self-propelled gun howitzers, 189 towed gun howitzers, 102 self-propelled anti-aircraft artillery units, 9 short-range and 3 long-range surface-to-air missile systems, 75 multiple rocket launch systems, 10 helicopter gunships, 14 multi-purpose helicopters, 60 multi-role fighters, 30 ground attack fighters, 30 airborne early warning and reconnaissance systems, and 15 small lift, 10 medium lift and 5 strategic or heavy lift cargo aircraft.

Using market averages, the procurement of the aforementioned equipment is scheduled to cost anything in between 30 and 90 billion in total, if modern weapon systems were to be acquired, depending on the availability and country of origin; the said figure includes basic training costs, along with the cost to procure significant munition stocks. Which is why a competition for the best offers began, to minimise these costs as much as possible.

The defence office should also review the possibility of arms donations from member states, as well as the contribution of volunteer forces and must, of course, define doctrines and standardise the EDF in terms of munitions and systems.

• Budget is in the works, preparing a financing mechanism for a intergovernmental organization takes time

[OOC] I am actually busy with projects and other RL stuff. Will get on the issue once I can[/OOC]

• Good evening all. As Temporary Premier Commissioner of the European Commission, I would like to resurrect these meetings of the Commissioners in order to determine the policy of the Commission either until the now unlikely return of Premier Commissioner Duplessis, or until the end of this Commission.

I have here a copy of the Duplessis Agenda and whether each task has been completed.

Internal Affairs

• Debating the abolition of the European Union Security Council. ✔
    • Passing a law that abolishes the European Union Security Council. ✘

Economics

• Arranging an International reconstruction conference for Neo-Venetia where the commission will secure funds required for the redevelopment of Neo-Venetia under the newly elected democratic government. ✘
    • Passing a law that that allows for the free movement of labor between all European Union members. ✘

Defense and Peace Keeping Forces

• Preparing a long-term plan for future of the European peace keeping forces present in Neo-Venetia. Whether a timetable is set for the complete withdrawal of the forces will depend on the final result of the debate. ✘

Foreign Affairs

• Preparing a new recruiting strategy to the region. ✔
    • Increase recruiting efforts with the hope of bringing our membership up to 100 nations by the end of this commission's term. ✔**/**✘

I intend to drop the following parts of the agenda:

-Abolishing the Security Council, as I believe that the revitalised four-member EUSC continues to have a valid reason for its existence (as outlined in the debate earlier this year). We hope that this shall see the return of Sergey Kirov to the European Council to represent the USSR.

However, the remaining issues still stand for now, and I wish for us all to debate which other issues, if any, should be dropped, and if any new issues should be added.

Thank you all,
    The Rt. Hon Helen Smith EC,
    Temporary Premier Commissioner of the European Union,
    EU Commissioner for Foreign Affairs.

• administrators

I again ask for attention to be brought to the matter of arming and equipping the EDF.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.