Security Council Meeting

• Greetings - first time we have met in a long long time, I hope to find you all still well and happy?

I am sure you are aware, I contacted you all to begin a meeting about the current situation of the European Union - particularly the inactivity and lack of Government which is plaguing us. As trusted members of this region who have shown our commitment and faith for the Union, I believe it is upon us to ensure the region can continue and indeed move upwards and onwards into new era of actual activity. It is my suggestion that we put forward an Emergency Bill which grants the Security Council temporary authority to govern for a period of, say, two months which can then be extended by the region if deemed necessary. I am happy to, and already have, begun work on this Bill and I hope that you will all agree to give some criticism when I have finished writing it so that we can ensure not only that it is passed through the Council but also that it covers and problems that may arise if we try to use the power for personal gain or in any way that would not be beneficial to the region. I should have the draft ready for tomorrow.

I have also taken it upon myself to invite Nungeena into this group. As I understand it, he wishes to be a somewhat neutral member of this region however he has agreed to play a role in this body giving us greater scope to work, a solid base as well as the ever important 5th member for tie-break situations. I believe he will be able to play a strong role for us and help serve as another mind in the equation that must be solved.

In the matter of what measures the SC could take should we be granted the authority to help pull this region out of the ditch, I believe organisation is one of our greatest downfalls. We do not have an official list of our Council representatives, we have no idea who is voting in our elections or Bills, we do not have any form of formal census which can help give us an idea of where we are as a region - voter turnout for example. Therefore, I believe it would be a good idea to institute some form of such, where we gather those members who are members of the Council and those members who are just members of the region. We can then begin to work to get the latter formally integrated into the Community.
    An impression of mine is that a great many nations are inactive within the Council because they feel left out of the loop, not part of the great power that is - or should I say 'was' - the European Commission. I feel that a Second Legislative Body, as outlined by my Aesop Rockian colleague elsewhere, whereupon Political Parties and Independants have a chance to gain seats - so as to create competition within Government and Council - would give members a greater feeling of inclusiveness within the region. It would also allow for the Commission to deal with the issues they are meant to, rather than working on new, often unnecessary, legislation.
    These are just two prelim. ideas but I hope we can come up with more. Even if we are not given the authority to deal with the problems, I hope the ideas we come up with in the next hours and days may serve as a basis for the region to sort out our mess.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

• First draft. What do you all think?

Security Council Temporary Authorities

An Act to grant the Security Council of the European Union the temporary authority to govern this region during these troubled times.

For the purposes of this Legislation, the Security Council comprises of Aesop Rocks, Belarum, Soviet Union and Triera with Nungeena having a temporary membership. Nungeena's temporary membership will be active and lawful during only the term of this piece of legislation as defined by Act I Section II.

Act I

Section I

Recognising that our European Union has had no European Commission since 26.05.08 although repeated attempts have been made by member-states to open nominations and hold elections.
    Realising this leaves the Union in a state of stagnancy whereupon the functions of the Union cannot be carried out, nor can the necessary measures to stabalise the region be taken.
    Thereby giving the Security Council the authority to govern this region, including but not limited to running the Offices of the European Commission, recruiting new members, organising any events or elections as well as other day-to-day running of the Union. The temporary authority shall not extend to Offices of the European Courts of Justice.

Section II

The period of temporary authority shall be granted for a period of no more than two months, or until such a time as the European Union is able to hold elections for the European Commission with no fewer than 5 nominees, whichever occurs first.
    Should the Union be unable to hold Commission elections after two months and if the issues of inactivity and declining membership not be resolved, the Security Council may request from the European Council an extension period of no more than two further months.
    The Council may reject, accept or amend the period of such a request with a majority vote of no less than 70%.

Section III

In order to pass this legislation, a majority vote of no less than 70% will be required from the European Council.
    In passing this piece of legislation, the Council understands and accepts this Legislation will be temporary and shall be stricken from European Union Legislation once the term is over.
    The Council also accepts this document as not in following with the Constitution of the European Union but agrees that as a necessity, such measures must be taken in order to ensure the survival of the Union.

Section IV

Once passed, this legislation grants the Security Council authority to govern this region. The European Council accepts that the Security Council shall have autonomous powers whereupon the Council shall not have to ratify the decisions of the Security Council.
    Exceptions shall occur with any piece of legislation the Security Council wishes to introduce, any decision which will effect the sovereignity of a member-state or any decision which will effect the actions of a member-state. Such exceptions should take the usual course as outlined in the Constitution of the European Union.
    The Security Council will be held accountable to the European Council and the European Courts of Justice, both of whom may demand the minutes from any Security Council meeting or any documents the Security Council have created under the jurisdiction of this legislation. Any request made by the Security Council to not do so may be heard before the European Courts of Justice, in private if requested by either body. The ECoJ shall then have the authority to decide upon whether or not to continue with the release of such information.

Post-amble

This European Union, in this legislation, is entrusting a great deal of authority within the Security Council and this is understood by both Security Council and European Council. Should any abuse of the powers or authorities be seen by the any member-state, they may call the Security Council or member-in-question, to account through the European Courts of Justice.
    The Security Council in turn shall accept to act only in the interests of the region as a collective. That is to say, no decision made by the Security Council, including that of the extension of authority, may be for the benefit of the Security Council nor of any of it's member-states.
    The nations included in the Security Council; Aesop Rocks, Belarum, Soviet Union, Triera and Nungeena; have shown themselves to be trustworthy, honorable and long-term members of this region and so the authority may be safely entrusted in them. Any abuse would not only be a reflection on the nation themselves but also upon the region itself; trust being a major tenant of our philosophy.
    This Legislation attempts to harness the trust each member-state has between one-another in order to rebuild, retain and secure the European Union as a whole. In the passing of this Legislation, it is seen as necessary that the Union must take drastic measures in order to continue as a region, as an Union.

Authored by Aesop Rocks with the help of the Security Council.

• administrators

I do not see why Nungeena should be involved with this. The EUSC derives from a treaty and for a new signatory to come, all previous ones must agree; and, personally, I disagree.

• Is this thread open to comments from non-SC members, or is the requested opinion only from the SC members?

• I was asked to help and I have accepted this request in order to insure the stability of the region. Only by having all the major countries working together can the eu move forward. I have guarded this union for five years and my interests are only in making sure the eu will prosper. Will you help us save this region?

• I understand your concerns Soviet Union. However, as Nungeena so correctly points out, the only way to save this region is through co-operation and to exclude such an important part of this plan could create a problem in decision-making and other such important acts.

• administrators

I think we should go ahead with this document as soon as possible. I'm also curious as to why Nungeena shouldn't be included in the governing Security Council; it is a nation proven to be trustworthy after years as the region's founder.

• After discussions with the Soviet Union, I have been able to procure an addition which would give us a complete majority in passing this through to the Council. The addition is as follows;

For the purposes of this Legislation, the Security Council comprises of Aesop Rocks, Belarum, Soviet Union and Triera with Nungeena having a temporary membership. Nungeena's temporary membership will be active and lawful during only the term of this piece of legislation as defined by Act I Section II.

NB: This has been added to the Legislation Draft.

• I'm FOR it.

• administrators

Aye

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.