Introduction Message

• administrators

I've been thinking about it, and I think our region would be more successful and active if we tasked the Internal Affairs Minister with sending each new incoming nation to the European Union an introduction telegram that introduces the region a little bit and encourages signing up on the forum. Here is a sample message that 10,000 Islands sends it's new nations when they arrive there:

Welcome to the 10000 Islands! We'd like to share some of our experience of this fine place with you. I am an official with the Ministry of Education, and have sent you this message to help to get you get to know us better.

1. FORUM: The most important way to get to know 10000 Islands is to visit our regional forum. To get there, copy and paste the following address into your browser:

http://10000islands.proboards21.com/index.cgi

Register using your nation?s name. (You will need to re-login then, since they will send you an incomprehensible activation by e-mail to your registered e-mail address.)

2. CHECK IN:

(a) Register in the forum and telegram Grub through NationStates to confirm your name. If you do not do so your nation will be deleted from the forum.

(cool.gif Read the regional Constitution and the history of the 10000 Islands and about our defense organization, TITO?the Ten Thousand Islands Treaty Organization. We invite you to add to our knowledge of the NS world and yourself by sharing your nation?s history in the History Department.

(c) Check out our Information Bureau, a short, comprehensive guide to life in the XKI. The link to this board is:
    http://10000islands.proboards21.com/index....oard=questions1

(d) We hope you will consider joining TITO. You must be a WA nation to do so, and you should contact our Founder, Grub, for further information.

3. ENDORSE: We encourage you to join the WA and endorse our WA Delegate, Hockeynutville. This makes the whole region stronger and helps to prevent destabilizing attacks from invaders.

4: TACOS!: All new nations that join the 10000 Islands forum will receive a 500 taco bonus (our form of currency) just for joining. You also receive another 15 tacos every time you post to the forum. These can be invested in Immigration stock, used to purchase lottery tickets, and map items.

5: PARTY!: Taco Island is the party capital of the region. The boards there are dedicated to nothing but fun! Visiting Taco Island is a great way to meet and interact with other members, and have an awesome time. Feel free to contact the Mayor of Taco Island, Shelter from the Storm.

6: MAP: We have a great map where not only can nations claim one of their very own 10000 Islands, but they can also build factories, mining, farming, capitals and shipping. It takes a little bit of time to be eligible for our map, but it is well worth the wait.

Hope to see you on the forums real soon!

Sincerely,
    Greek People Nation (GPN)
    Ministry of Education smile.gif

I think something like this would give our region a greater retention and activity rate. What do the other commissioners think?

• This seems like an excellent idea- while our recruitment policy has born fruit, adding 40 more nations to the EU, the 'conversion rate' of new members to active forum posters has been poor. This will, hopefully, increase the conversion rate and make the forum more active.

• So you want me to come up with that?

That doesn't seem too bad. I'll come up with something and put it here.

• administrators

Of course we'll help you with it, making changes and adding ideas and such. Using the 10k Islands message as inspiration I think we can come up with a really great way to retain our region members.

• Welcome to the European Union! I am the Commissioner of Internal Affairs, and I would like to extend a friendly arm in welcoming you to our region. Here are a few tips and hints on how to get around and become an involved participant!

1. FORUM: The most important way to get to know the European Union is to visit our regional forum. To get there, copy and paste the following address into your browser:

European Union Forum

or you can find the link in the World Factbook Entry on the Region page.

Register using your nation?s name, and you will have to wait for an activation email and activate your account.

2. CHECK IN:

(a) Please head to the Regional Map and stake a claim to a position on the map. The Soviet Union will most likely answer your request!

(cool.gif Next, post your military strength and size in the War Zone War List, which is a requirement before you can become an active participant in role-play, and speaking from experience, this region is one of the best for realistic role-play.

3. ENDORSE: Please endorse are regional delegate to the World Assembly, Grossdeutches Reich (I don't have that funky B on my keyboard), and if you aren't a member of the World Assembly, I encourage you to become one!

4. ROLEPLAY: The European Union offers a wide and varied structure of role-play activities, ranging from armed conflicts and diplomatic confrontation to economic partnerships and sports programs (currently, the Tour of Angleter is the big sporting event going on, though we plan on having Roland Garros: The French Albyon Open, an Olympics, and other events as well). Don't be shy! Everyone's welcome to participate!

4b. GOVERNMENT: The European Union has a very well structure government, complete with a regional constitution, bill of rights, and active legislature. To learn more about your rights, participation in the European Assembly, and the opportunity to run for Premier Commissioner, please visit the European Authorities section, and feel free to ask the Office of Internal Affairs any questions on how the Union works and its conduct.

5. UNITY: Furthermore, the European Union offers something other regions can't, and that's true unity and brotherhood through organization, leadership, and support from other nations.

I strongly encourage you to join the forum in order to gain the full experience of being a European!

Salutations biggrin.gif,
    The Rt. Hon. Francois Fillon, Commissioner of Internal Affairs
    and the nation of French Albyon

• Looks good, covers the basics and should help to make new/existing members more active.

• Nazione Italiana would happily take over the post vacated by French Albyon's nation being terminated due to inactivity on Nationstates... Of course I couldn't take over as Commissioner of Internal Affairs without a vote, but I could work for the department to ensure this message gets out.

Please inform us if this is somehow illegal.

• I'm no Constitutional expert, but I think it would be fine for us either to have a European Council vote, or for Helen Smith to appoint, a temporary Internal Affairs Commissioner. Please note that if French Albyon returns, you would have to step down, just as my compatriot Smith would have to if Luvenburg returned.

• administrators

Are elections coming up soon anyway?

• When exactly are they?

With two Commissioners down and nations willing to take their spots (one already having done so, of course) I say there is no time like the present!

• I would like to make some reforms to the EU's political system before elections, which will probably be in mid-to-late December. Hopefully we shall have a new Commission by Christmas.

In the meantime I would like to officially sanction a European Council vote on Temporary Internal Affairs Commission.

The Rt. Hon. Helen Smith.

• I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself as the new temporary Commissioner for Internal Affairs.

I appreciate the region's future support from now until election time and appreciate any ideas, comments or questions you have for the department.

My first day in the office will be tomorrow. The honor of being back on the Commission is really overwhelming.

The Rt Hon. Giovanna Laurina Pallotti

• What is to happen now Ms. Pallotti has been whisked away to her home country to become its President? Does she intend to continue in this current role, or shall I have to hold a new vote for a new Temporary Commissioner (or simply just call elections)?

• Unless it is somehow illegal, she wishes to remain in the position until elections are held to appoint a new Commissioner.

Who has the power to call elections?

• I believe that I do, although the Commission can hold a vote of no-confidence in the Premier Commissioner, and I believe that the European Council may be able to as well.

I would, however, like to promise elections in early December, and I would like to confirm that I would indeed be running for Premier Commissioner.

(The following is an in-character message concerning role playing in the European Union.)

Welcome to the European Union! I am the Commissioner of Internal Affairs, and I would like to extend a friendly arm in welcoming you to our region. Here are a few tips and hints on how to get around and become an involved participant!

1. FORUM: The best way to get to know the European Union and other members is stay active on the forum. You can find the web address on the European Union regional page on Nationstates, or by copying and pasting the following URL into your web browser:

http://z12.invisionfree.com/European_Union/index.php?act=idx

Be sure to register on the forum with the SAME NAME as your Nationstates nation name.

2. CHECKING IN: Please head to the Regional Map and stake a claim to a position on the map. The Soviet Union (our regional mapmaker) will answer your request.
    Next, post your military strength and size in the War Zone War List, which is a requirement before you can become an active participant in role-play, and speaking from experience, this region is one of the best for realistic role-play.

3. ENDORSE: Please endorse are regional delegate to the World Assembly, Gro?deutches Reich and if you aren't a member of the World Assembly, I encourage you to become one!

4. ROLEPLAY: The European Union offers a wide and varied structure of role-play activities, ranging from armed conflicts and diplomatic confrontation to economic partnerships and sports programs. Don't be shy! Everyone's welcome to participate!

4b. GOVERNMENT: The European Union has a very well structured government, complete with a regional constitution, bill of rights, and active legislature. To learn more about your rights, participation in the European Council, and the opportunity to run for political office, please visit the European Authorities section and feel free to ask the Office of Internal Affairs any questions on how the Union works and its conduct.

5. UNITY: Furthermore, the European Union offers something other regions can't, and that's true unity and brotherhood through organization, leadership, and support from other nations.

I strongly encourage you to join the forum in order to gain the full experience of being a European!

Yours in Peace,
    The Rt. Hon. Giovanna Laurina Pallotti , Commissioner of Internal Affairs

I have edited the welcome message. Please advise if you believe something is missing.

• Very good. The only nitpick is that it should be European Council and not Assembly. Apart from that, everything is fine.

(The following is an in-character message concerning role-playing in the European Union.)

Welcome to the European Union! I am the Commissioner of Internal Affairs.? I would first like to extend a friendly hand of welcome. Here are a few tips and hints on how to get around and become an involved participant and active role-player.

1. FORUM: The best way to get to know the European Union and other members is to join and stay active on our forum.? You can find the web address on the European Union regional page on Nationstates, or by copying and pasting the following URL into your web browser:

http://z12.invisionfree.com/European_Union/index.php?act=idx

Be sure to register on the forum with the SAME NAME as your Nationstates nation name.

2. CHECKING IN: Please declare your presence in the European Union Welcome Center in the European Union Information forum, then you can head to the Regional Map forum and stake a claim to a position on our map. The Soviet Union (our regional cartographer) will answer your request.
    Next, post your military strength and size in the War Zone War List, which is a requirement before you can become an active participant in role-play.? I can honestly say this region is one of the best for realistic role-play, with several experienced, interesting, unique and intelligent people.

3. ENDORSE: Please endorse our regional delegate to the World Assembly, Gro?deutches Reich, and if you aren't a member of the World Assembly, I encourage you to consider becoming one.

4. ROLE-PLAY: The European Union offers a wide and varied structure of role-play activities, ranging from armed conflicts and diplomatic confrontation to economic partnerships and sports programs. Don't be shy! Everyone's welcome to participate!

4b. GOVERNMENT: The European Union has a very well structured government, complete with a regional constitution, bill of rights, and active legislature.? You as a member have certain rights, the most exciting being your right to hold a chair in the European Council, granting you sufferage and the ability to run for office.? Please visit the European Commission section and feel free to ask the Office of Internal Affairs should you have any questions.? Legislative decision votes and government office elections in the European Union are held often.? You must be active often on the forum in order to to be able to catch them and have your opinion be heard.

5. UNITY: Lastly, the European Union offers something many regions can't: true unity and brotherhood through organization, leadership and support from other nations.

Yours in Peace,
    The Rt. Hon. Felice Sesto di Francesco, Commissioner of Internal Affairs

Hello all,

This is the message I would like to use as a welcome message. I have edited it myself in the hopes of appealing to all who stumble up the European Union and hopefully helping them to decide not only to stay, but to become active.

Please inform me if you find a mistake.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.