The Reform Act of 2011

• Due to the recent events of regional instability and the cause for political reform, the following is proposed to maintain regional stability and promote political reform.

Article I - Absolution of Opposing Nations

All nations that have been recognized to be associated with the "Opposing Nations" that were in political affiliation against the GDR Delegacy shall be given forgiveness, will be removed from the Regional Ban List. The nations will maintain membership in the European Union and will no longer face any discrimination. Nations on the ban list will only be given this honor if they propose reconciliation.

Upon banning nations, banned nations may appeal to have their banishment removed by contacting the Delegate. To repeal banishment, a regional referendum must take place.

Article II - Emergency Elections

Upon the passing of this resolution, all elected positions will be cleared. Emergency elections will take place in which all nations will remove their endorsements of the delegate and nations of the European Commission will resign their position. The European Commission will appoint a nation to maintain the delegacy until a vote has been reached by the majority. The process for voting will follow the New Method as stated in Article III

Article III - Election Reforms

Election for the Delegate will be held every 120 days. The election of the delegate will be held on the European Union Forums. Upon the closing of polls, all nations who are able to give endorsements, will give their endorsements to the nation with the majority of votes. When 118 days have been reached, elections will begin and will close on the 120th day.

Election for the European Commission will be held every 120 days. The election of the European Commission will be led as a "Simple Majority" Method. Each nation that receives the majority votes will be given the position. When 118 days has been reached, the election process will begin and will close on the 120th.

Article IV - General Discontent

If the European Union finds itself at general discontent with the European Commission, then all the endorsements will be withdrew from the Delegate and all nations will be cleared of their positions, and the election process will take place.

Any major disagreement that occurs for 24 or more days with multiple nations in discontent will be considered General Discontent in which Emergency Elections will take place under the passage of a proposal to do so. If the proposal fails, positions will maintain and another 24 days must take place before General Discontent may be declared again.

Article V - Passage by the Majority

Upon the passing of a resolution, the European Council shall decide whether to pass or not to pass. After the European Council has voted, a regional referendum will be conducted. If the EC passes the resolution and the referendum agrees, then the bill is passed. If the EC passes the resolution and the referendum does not agree, then the bill is not passed. If the EC does not pass the resolution and the referendum does not agree, then bill be called to the Delegate in which the Delegate will either pass for refuse to pass.[COLOR=green]

• Article I: we have found the nations on the ban list, by and large, to be hostile to the procedures of the European Union. We would demand some substantial form of conciliation and forgiveness from them before we are willing to extend it in return.

Article II: we will oppose any effort to impeach the current, legitimately-elected Commission of Alexander Kligenberg- or the Court of Justice under Alex Neumann. Removing all endorsements from the delegate is dangerous in that such a power vacuum would see us prone to invasion from other regions or rogue nations.

Article III: while we are not particularly opposed to the principle of delegate elections, we find 50 days to be a ridiculously short term of office. The current term length of 5 months has served us well for the Commission and ECoJ, especially given the two-term limit and shortage of committed candidates. Other regions with delegate elections seem to have much longer terms than 50 days and do not have mass de-endorsements pre-election.

Article IV: the notion of 'General Discontent' seems excessively prone to exploitation by puppeteering troublemakers. An elected Commission must know that, unless it acts unconstitutionally, it has a fixed term of office and will not have the rug pulled out from under it by opponents within 10 days.

• Changes have been made.

• Well I respect your method of acquiring change. You still ask to much. You want a complete overhaul of the governmental process. That is to much. We will consider parts, but do not expect all.

• The endeavors to have all of this complete will not end, until, well, it all ends. What is up for being denied, article wise that is?

• Most likely the emergency elections and election reforms. The way they work now are good and have served us well.

• The Duxburian Union cannot support this, because the subject matter does not exist. There is no such thing as a regional delegate, regional ban list, and there are no European forums either. The year of 2011 won't even come into being for well over 1,000 years, at least for this nation and perhaps for others who do not accept the full Gregorian Calendar.

OOC: The European Union is a roleplaying simulation. The "Nationstates" world does not exist in this roleplay.

• Although I wouldn't vote for the entire proposal, I think that we should consider an election of the WA Delegate at the same time we vote for the members of the commission and the Court of Justice.

Eleanor Kelly
    Foreign Affairs Commissioner

• As I said before, it is very unlikely that we will surrender any article of the proposal, however, we are willing to alter what the articles say within reason.

• Article I of the Arborlawn proposal is essential, surely if any reform process is to end the MCEU revolt?

Stability must be paramount in this process, and Article I is necessary for healing old wounds. Article I demonstrates that the Commission is serious about resolving the crisis gripping the region.

Any reform which seeks to ignore whole Articles of the Arborlawn proposals is illegitimate.

• Article I demands the unconditional return of a nation that has shown nothing but contempt for this region and its legitimate processes. That is out. Article II demands the impeachment of this Commission. That is out. Article IV seeks to replace the current system of removing a Commission by a Council 70% majority with the possibility of a small minority forcing elections every 24 days. That is out. Article V fails to realise that the European Council- which can pass legislation with a simple majority- is open to every member state of the EU, each of which has an equal voice. So that is also out.

We effectively have Articles IV and V already, Articles I and II are unacceptable, and Article III's proposal of delegate elections is the only change here that deserves merit.

• But surely Article IV on General Discontent is valid?

Part of the problem during the MCEU revolt has been the feeling that they are sidelined in the processes of the EU. And given the absence of term-limits for Commissioners and WA Delegates; that doesn't seem all that invalid.

If any reforms are to be taken forward, term limits and a right-of-recall process for EU members should be introduced into the constitution.

• administrators

QUOTE (North Briton @ Mar 16 2011, 01:04 AM)

But surely Article IV on General Discontent is valid?

Part of the problem during the MCEU revolt has been the feeling that they are sidelined in the processes of the EU. And given the absence of term-limits for Commissioners and WA Delegates; that doesn't seem all that invalid.

If any reforms are to be taken forward, term limits and a right-of-recall process for EU members should be introduced into the constitution.

That's wrong. Actually, there are term limits for Commissioners. No country can be part of the Commission for more than two consecutive terms.

• NB acknowledges GDR correction, but the fact remains that he has no term limits on his office. Indeed given his presence, and his behaviour was one of the catalysts for this crisis - I am shocked at the way the Commission and WA Delegate are seeking to block Arborlawn's reasonable proposals.

GDR must accept that his heavy-handedness over excluding EU member-states has brought his office into disrepute. Article I concerning the amnesty for blocked countries is central; as is term limits for his office.

• administrators

I've already said why I banned Free Hashimia. Nobody wants to listen to it, you and the ''MCEU movement'' don't want to listen to what I say, you act like you have the reason and there is nothing to be said about it. Why do I have to listen to you if you don't listen to me? I have been insulted, compared to dictators, blamed for this damn chaos your group and Free Hashimia caused, and then you want me to listen to you? Really? Do you REALLY expect me to listen to your demands? I have not blocked Arborlawn's reform proposal or even mentioned I would do it, but you don't care! You are all a bunch of liars who only want to fuel division and unrest. I'm very sorry for your close-mindedness, but I have done nothing to deserve all this you're doing to me.

• GDR,

If you cannot contribute constructively, perhaps you had better leave the discussions to the Commission and the MCEU movement?

You are unwilling to have your position challenged. We ask that you consider term limits to the WA delegacy position, or at least introduce some kind of emergency recall process for yourself and Commissioners - one which is easier, and more democratic.

Your response has failed to deal with any of that.

You ban member-states at will, you say that it was because they did not show proper respect to constitutional processes; but then how does your behaviour just now hold up? You rant on about injustices directed at you, and you refuse to accept any of the Arborlawn Proposals. As one of the Commission said "No one is listening", you have just reaffirmed that.

Any crisis is on your head, you banned member-state Free Hashima without a referendum of EU member-states. You did not account for your decision until you dictatorially made it. Now you show contempt here, during important negotiations.

If this is your attitude, it is clear that you have no intention of compromising for unity, peace and stability.

• Every one calm down. To get anything done, we must examine each individually and I will edit as we develop conclusions.

So, we begin with Article I

Article I - Absolution of Opposing Nations

All nations that have been recognized to be associated with the "Opposing Nations" that were in political affiliation against the GDR Delegacy shall be given forgiveness, will be removed from the Regional Ban List. The nations will maintain membership in the European Union and will no longer face any discrimination. Nations on the ban list will only be given this honor if they propose reconciliation.

Upon banning nations, banned nations may appeal to have their banishment removed by contacting the Delegate. To repeal banishment, a regional referendum must take place.

I would like to emphasize this - Nations on the ban list will only be given this honor if they propose reconciliation.

I believe that this Article has complete legitimacy. I do not believe that the MCEU will budge on this.

• Very well, but it is unlikely that the two surviving nations will return.

• So we can conclude that Article I is fine as is?

• yes, next article.

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.