European Languages Act 2011

• European Languages Act 2011

An act which gives equal rights to all languages within the European Courts and Commissions and within individual member states. Legislates for the education of Languages within member states. Obliges member states to the protection of minority languages.

Article I The definition of a Language and its classification

Section I
    A Major Language is one which is spoken by at least 10% of the population of the commission.

Section II
    A Minor Language is one which is spoken by at least 5% of any individual member state

Section III
    All member nations are required to report language statistics to the Language Centre of the Internal Affiars which is discussed below

Article II Equality of Languages within the European Court of Justice and European Commission

Section I
    Within all European Union institutions delegates have the right to speak in any of the verified official Major or Minor languages of the commission-however a translation of a minor language text must be made available in one or more of the major languages

Section II
    All European Law must be written in only verified Major Languages

Section III
    All information on refernedi, major constitutional reform and major legislation must be made available upon request in the requested minority or major language

Article III The Verification of Languages

Section I
    English is a Major Language

Section II
    A body will be formed within the Internal Affairs Office which application for Language verification and classification of Major and Minor Languages

Section III
    Application of Languages will require evidence from individual nation on numbers of its population which speak language and a paragraph of written text in the said language

_Section IV _
    To be classified as a Major Language evdience from numerous states must be given which show that 10% of the European Union population can speak and understand the language in written form

_Section V _
    The Minister of Internal Affairs can appoint a Language as a Minor Language if he/she feels that it has the correct criteria even if home nation objects to its classification in order to ensure its protection

Section III Learning of Major Languages

Section I
    All member nations are obliged to teach the Major Languages of the European Union as verified by the Internal Affairs to children from the age 5-14 to develop and ensure European cohesion and ease trade

Section II
    All member states must make resources available for the study of the Major Languages available to students post 14, though teaching of the languages is not mandatory

Article IV Protection of Minority Languages

Section I
    Each individual member state must provide funding to the development of all verified minority languages in their jurisdiction

Section II
    Each member state must provide access to healthcare, education and all other government provided services in all of its recognised minority languages

• The Duxburian Union refuses to support any bill that encroaches upon language sovereignty. Every nation has the inherent right to designate a national language and conduct business, erect signage, teach in schools, and govern exclusively in that language. Minority language speakers have the right to speak theirs freely, but it would be incredibly impractical and extraordinarily expensive to cater to multiple domestic languages this way, let alone all the major languages of the EU. Imagine traffic signs with a dozen translations crammed in...

Over 1 billion Duxburians speak a dialect of Kendrelaatzenian. Study of a 2nd language is not compulsory in the public education system until university. Language resources exist earlier in the system as individual school districts can afford and see fit to offer. Copies of correspondence, including of regional legislation, for use in the Duxburian Union are written in Kendrelaatzenian. Government officials are not expected to have the command of other languages. Just because some other language has a large body of speakers elsewhere does not give it any relevance in this nation.

The United Dominions would not follow such intrusive legislation even if it were passed.

I totally agree with my partners in the Duxburian Union, however, one specific detail hits the nail into the coffin:

Article IV Protection of Minority Languages
    Section II
    Each member state must provide access to healthcare, education and all other government provided services in all of its recognised minority languages

So does that mean the 99.99% English speaking Inquistans must pay and provide all services to those 0.00025% Polish speaking people? I'm sorry, but this isn't really well thought-out.

• On principle, Pax Aurea could be ready to support this kind of legislation. The Commonwealth, being a multi-cultural society with several recognized national and provincial languages, has noticed time and time again that the right to one's own language and multi-linguistic studies are paramount when it comes to not only most basic human rights, but also to the harmonious co-existence of different cultures in a nation.

However, as my Duxburian colleague pointed out, it would require immense resources from all nations to execute every arrangement required by this legislation. It could also be impractical in nations that already follow multilingualism in their policies. For example, in Pax Aurea, children are required to take courses at least in three, usually four languages during their elementary grades. Most tend to focus on one of the seven official languages of the Commonwealth. Should they be required to study all the Major Languages of the European Union, as required in "Learning Major Languages - Section I" -- and of which there are without doubts at least a dozen -- it would mean an end to their possibilities of learning more about their own national languages.

On EU level, as laid out in Article II, we would be more than willing to support this legislation. As for the articles "Learning of Major Languages" and "Protection of Minority Languages", we would like to see more flexibility.

Perhaps, for instance, it would be necessary for a government to provide its services in the recognized minority languages only in such geographical areas/districts where the speakers of the said languages constitute at least 5% of the overall population (Article IV, Section II)?

Livia Arcturus
    Council Representative of Pax Aurea

• Austrur will not support this legislation. Unfortunately, it is impractical and encroaches upon our ability to handle our national affairs.

Article II, Section III will not work in Austrur. Our nation is a majority French-German speaking nation, and we see no reason to have to pander to the very small minority of individuals who do not speak our national languages. The cost of maintaining a department to conduct these translations is excessive, and wasteful. We see no reason to have to provide Czech translations to the minuscule Czech speaking minority.

We find Article III, Section I as an insult to our nation. Why is English declared an automatic Majority language? We find this insulting to our French and German speaking nation. Our European Capital is not located within an English speaking nation. Therefore, why must English be the language of choice?

• The Kingdom of Marrakechia does not support this legislation.

We cannot accept Article II Section I as we do not want English to be the Majority Language of Marrakechia as the Kingdom prefers French.

• Though we are pleased to see the Council active, with a proposal from a new member state, Angleter cannot accept this resolution for the reasons given by my Duxburian colleague.

• Without requiring governments to take action but merely serve as a Union-wide recognition of minor languages, it would be a fantastic proposal. However, seeing as it is a veiled attempt at destroying sovereignty, as pointed out by both Inquista and the Duxburian Union, we will not support this legislation without massive overhaul.

• As Eirinnean has left the European Union, his proposal is null and void.

• a simple welcome would have kept me guys.....

u's need to look at yout recrutiment....

u are all too stuck in your ways

• ((OOC: A simple welcome would've come if you'd introduced yourself in the information forum like many nations before have done. Meanwhile, UK gave you a welcome in the football thread ["Welcome! Would you like your national abbreviation as IRE (Ireland) or ERN (Erinnean)"], and I tried to turn what is meant to be an in-character response into a welcome ["Though we are pleased to see the Council active, with a proposal from a new member state"]. Also, if you gave us more than what was less than 24 hours, you may have elicited more attention. If you wanted a warm response to your proposal because you're new, then it won't happen because this is in-character.))

Looks like your connection to NS European Union was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.